PDA

View Full Version : FO-First Sweater...Little Disappointed

jdee
10-30-2007, 05:09 PM
I finally finished my first sweater. I decided to make one for DH instead of myself, because I knew he wouldn't be as depressed if it didn't fit as I would if one didn't fit me. :?? Does that make sense? Anyway, I finished it just now, and I'm pretty disappointed because it's Waaaayyy too big for him. He's proud of it, and of me because it's my first attempt, and it actually LOOKS like a sweater.:teehee:

It just bums me out, because of all that work, and it's going to have to be an 'around the house' garment. Anyway, here are the pics...

Newfygirl
10-30-2007, 05:19 PM
I think it looks good on him. You did a really great job - I can't believe it's your first sweater. I hope my first one looks that good.

jdee
10-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Thank you for the compliment. I think it's the sleeves. the're a little more 'bat wingy' than they should be.

Samsam
10-30-2007, 05:24 PM
no no!
It's a great first attempt!!
That sweater is far better than many of the men's sweaters I've seen in stores.

He's proud of it because he knows it's awesome!!!
sure it's a little big on the sleeves...but there's no fashion rule saying that's wroug, right? :heart:

KnittingNat
10-30-2007, 05:42 PM
I think it looks great:yay:! And your DH looks so happy about it. Even if it's a sweater to wear at home, it's still worth a lot - i'm sure you put a lot of love into it:heart:. A lesson i learned from knitting a sweater, especially for men, is to choose a smaller size than you know he's usually wearing. My DH is very average height and proportion and i knit him XS size. I checked the measurements and took into account that yarn, especially heavy, will pull the garment down.

mare-nitt
10-30-2007, 05:49 PM
You did a great job, good color and it looks comfortable.
He will wear it with pride, knowing you made it for HIM.

Jan in CA
10-30-2007, 06:02 PM
It looks awesome! I think it's better a little big than too small anyway. Better to wear long sleeves under if it's cold. ;)

dmknits
10-30-2007, 06:22 PM
It looks fine to me. You did a good job!

Mariblue
10-30-2007, 06:31 PM
I think you did a great job! It's a great color, and looks really nice on your husband. :cheering:

Tutu Carol
10-30-2007, 06:31 PM
It is BEAUTIFUL !!! My first sweater was so ugly, my family & I just had to laugh. It was simply horrible. (I couldn't frog that baby fast enough!)

Your "man" looks great! It is a fantastic job!

knitgal
10-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I think it looks great! And he really does look so happy to be wearing it. He also looks proud of you, which you should be too. It's quite the accomplishment to finish your first sweater and I think it looks amazing. Who cares if it's too big, you meant to do that, right?

jennylozano
10-30-2007, 07:29 PM
I think your sweater looks just fine on him!!:thumbsup: He can also take advantage of that sweater during the winter, wearing a shirt underneath the sweater. I think it will be very practical too!! :)

Sincerely,

Jenny

Slim
10-30-2007, 08:51 PM
That's a great sweater! I'm very impressed that it's your first! And your hubby is obviously very proud of it (and you.)

AnnaT
10-31-2007, 01:18 AM
no no!
It's a great first attempt!!
That sweater is far better than many of the men's sweaters I've seen in stores.

He's proud of it because he knows it's awesome!!!
sure it's a little big on the sleeves...but there's no fashion rule saying that's wroug, right? :heart:

I completely agree!

I think it looks great! It's not fitted but that's a style all its own. To me, "too big" means you look like you're wearing someone else's clothes or you just lost a lot of weight and the garment simply hangs and droops on you. The sweater looks great on your husband and if I were you, I'd be very proud! That's a nice color choice for him, too.

GiddyKnitter
10-31-2007, 09:22 AM
I Love it and I hope you are very proud of your work xx

Suziblues
10-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Hey I think it looks really good. And the color is great!
I dont know about anybody else, but I LOVE big, comfortable sweaters. GREAT JOB! :cheering:
sue

dustinac
10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
I agree I think it looks great!! He looks very happy and proud... I'm sure it will be more than around the house sweater...:happydance:

momwolf
10-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Looks good to me and DH looks pleased with it so nothing else mattershttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_33.gif

Plantgoddess+
10-31-2007, 10:54 AM
That is a great looking sweater! I see nothing wrong with it. The pattern evidently called for full sleeves. I have been disappointed with a finished pattern because of the sleeves before. I hate when they show the model wearing the sweater with the sleeves pushed up on their arms so you can't see the drape. The Sweater Workbook helped me a lot with paying attention to details like that in patterns.

feministmama
10-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Look at that collar! The color is fantastic and i don't see anything wrong with this sweater. It looks good on him! You did a great job :thumbsup:

Mommy22alyns
10-31-2007, 12:17 PM
It looks really good on him! Just take the sleeves as a learning tip, but be very proud of yourself for finishing it. My first sweater is far from perfect too, but it's still a great accomplishment!

GinnyG
10-31-2007, 12:29 PM
It looks warm and comfy, a Saterday around the house sweater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jdee
10-31-2007, 01:14 PM
:hug: You all are so wonderful. I'm feeling so much better about it. I guess I just saw something in my mind, and expected the finished project to match that image. When it didn't, I overreacted.:aww:

thank you for helping me see the good side of this endeaver. it's so nice to get this kind of encouragement.

MAmaDawn
10-31-2007, 01:18 PM
:woohoo:Your first sweater.... YEAH! I too think it looks great, and the most important part is he likes it and that shows in the picture...

sinistral_needler
10-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Three important points:

It looks great
Your hubby looks happy
Your little corner of kitchen counter looks SO CLEAN!

pvsduck
10-31-2007, 04:57 PM
That's beautiful! I'm working on my first vest. I hope it will fit my husband when I'm finished. I haven't gotten brave enough to attempt a sweater yet - guess that's next.

What yarn did you use?

DeAnzaJig
10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
That sweater would be great for my husband! I think you did a great job and now you have your first sweater done with. :lol:

I've been looking for the "perfect" sweater pattern for him. What is the name of the pattern and where did you get it?

Thanks!

jdee
10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
What yarn did you use?
I used cascade sierra in this color... http://www.littleknits.com/proddetail.php?prod=Seirra61
At the time I bought it, they had a full bag sale. I didn't know it at the time, but it may be the reason the sleeves are so drapey. The yarn is mostly cotton, and the sweater is a little heavy.
DeAnzaJig, I went to a LYS, and showed them my yarn, then told them some of DH's likes and dislikes. They used thier Sweater Wizard computer software to make me a pattern.

dip's mom
10-31-2007, 08:44 PM
it looks great and very warm and most of all comfy. Be proud.

lelvsdgs
10-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Like everyone else, I think it's beautiful! It's a great job first sweater or not and your Hubby looks great in it. He also looks proud and happy, you should pat yourself on the back for completing your first sweater. :muah:

MrsDavis3
11-01-2007, 09:49 AM
That looks great! I have a sweater with giant sleeves like that, and I love it. It's my favorite sweater to wear. Big sleeves on a sweater are very comfortable, especially for layering.

Don't dis that sweater!!!

monzogary
11-02-2007, 08:54 PM
That looks awesome for your first sweater. I'm sure its very comfortable, and it doesn't look bad at all!

ah
11-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Like everyone else, I think it looks great. The color is wonderful, your husband looks thrilled, and you finished a sweater. I am impressed you hit all three on the first attempt.

ArtLady1981
11-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Hi JD! :waving:

I see what you are referring to as bat wings...but I think the whole sweater looks perfect! I like big sweaters! Are you sure it just wasn't supposed to be nice and big? Well, it looks wonderful on you DH, and he is so sweet to model for you with that big ole smile!

Good work! I think you are a wonderful knitter! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!