PDA

View Full Version : Silkworms?

jess_hawk
10-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Has anyone on here ever tried raising silkworms to spin? I've been searching online and found several good sites on how to raise them (and it seems straightforward enough), and even some suppliers, but I'm curious about which wild species can be successfully used for silk (I'd like to try native species for many reasons: they're much prettier IMO, they're native so any moths I don't use for my own breeding/spinning can be released, etc.) and how to go about obtaining these species other than from a breeder (unless they are rare and collection from the wild would be detrimental to the population). The websites I found mostly dealt with how to raise them. One did say that Luna moth silk is very weak and not good for spinning; but they are very rare in my area anyway.
I'm interested in silkworms to give me something to spin that I can raise myself. Maybe someday I'll have sheep but its going to be decades. Silkworms I can try after I graduate college.

MMario
11-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Michael Cook is the guy to talk with...I believe his website is wormspit.com

mullerslanefarm
11-05-2007, 09:49 AM
2nd the vote for wormspit.com.
On another forum, a member took pictures and gave a running commentary of her silk raising. She got all her information from wormspit and had terrific results.
Start saving those paper towel & toilet paper tubes now!!!

jess_hawk
11-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I joined the Yahoo Group "CatHerders" and it has so far been quite helpful. I'm off to see if I can find a copy of the Spring 2000 Interweave Press Spin-Off mag on my library's ILL.
Thanks for your help!

ETA: never mind, can't get it on ILL... any ideas?

mullerslanefarm
11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
The article on spinning silk hankies use to be available online - if you can't find it, I have a pdf copy of it.

One word of advice - if you don't have perfectly smooth hands, wear thin latex/vinyl gloves when working with silk so it won't catch on your hands.

mrslevite
11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Perfect timing! I was just reading about this yesterday. It sounds fascinating. And since we have an abundance of mulberry leaves here, I have a good idea of what I'll be doing next spring. :mrgreen:

ctmax
11-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I have been reading up a lot on this lately to. When I get some containers and netting I will probably be ordering some silk worms and chow, since I don't have any mulberry tees near me.

ctmax
11-28-2007, 12:00 PM
thought I would just update this. I ordered 200 eggs and today most of them have all hatched. I was doing this just for me to get the silk, but it has turned into a great learning experiecne for my children.