PDA

View Full Version : Gauge

knitgrrl
11-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I wa wondering how to do guage there's two ways.One :count the sts and rows with a measuring tape or ruler.Two:divide the sts and the inch.What is the most correct way to get gauge?.Do all of them give you the same gauge?.Which is easier?.

aprildavis99
11-04-2007, 11:33 PM
It's not really either/or. You may have to do both, depending on your pattern. If you're not using a particular pattern or are modifying a pattern, once you use the ruler to figure out how many stitches or rows per inch you crochet/knit with that particular yarn and needles/hook, then you do the math part to determine size. If you are using a pattern, then it's trial and error with the yarn, hook/needles and ruler to get the listed gauge.

knitgrrl
11-05-2007, 09:00 PM
And how do you do them i forget?.I know a little bit .What do you do if the gauge says 10 sts and 10 rows=1'' instead of 4''inches?.Do you measure it 1''inch instead of 4''inches or can you measure it 1''inch?.

aprildavis99
11-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Make a 6 inch square swatch then measure the 1 inch gauge in several different places on the swatch to make sure you are working consistently.

aprildavis99
11-06-2007, 12:09 AM
This website has good information on gauge. It talks about knitting and crochet. About half way down is the crochet gauge part. http://www.anniesattic.com/pages/yarn_faq.html