PDA

View Full Version : Left ovary complex cyst?

jennylozano
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi there friends.... Last March I went to my annual physical exam that includes a gyn examination, PAP, etc. I have a history of uterine fibroids (leiyomyoma) so I had a complete pelvic/vaginal ultrasound done. Days later I received the results saying that I not only have "scattered uterine fibroids" of different sizes, but also a complex 2.6 x 2.4 x 1.2 cm cyst in my left ovary. That was it. I did not received further instructions from the doctor and I did not make another appointment to discuss the results. OK I know, I do know, I should have made that appointment. I did not. Time passed... I have experienced some pain in my left side sometimes...other times I feel nothing. I was busy with school, etc. Time kept passing. It is November. My younger sister was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Maybe it is time to worry and to get that darn appointment. I have the appointment this Friday.

I would like to know if some of you have been told to have ovarian complex cysts? What happened? Was it malign? Did you get any treatment? Anything to really get worried about? Thanks :muah:

newamy
11-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Several years ago I had a very large ovarian cyst. It was huge, bigger than yours and I had to go to surgery a week from its discovery. It was actually mucous filled they found when it was removed but on the ultrasound there was one solid spot that concerned the doctor-turned out to be just a little blood clot. I no longer have a L ovary or tube. I was not very symptomatic with it, mainly because I ignored a lot of symptoms.

Then last year I could tell I had another. I went to the doc. Nothing was palpable but I had an US- yuck!! There it was a fluid filled cyst, but it was smaller so the doc decided to watch it. I had an US like every 3 months and it went away after 6 months.

Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a very specific diagnosis with other symptoms besides cysts, so you could just have an isolated cyst. If it hurts you should have it checked, they would start with an US. It's a good way to document what is going on.

Good luck with all this.

DianaM
11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Get up, go to the phone, make appointment with Dr.

...........done?

Ok. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is something I'm familiar with since I've had it for almost 10 years.

There are times when literally, I could feel my ovaries hurting. They become enlarged, they have cysts, etc.

You have to take that ultrasound to a Dr and have some testing done. With me, it took an endocrinologist, an ultrasound and a bunch of bloodwork. Something is causing that cyst and that pain and you better find out what it is.

Although I haven't had that experience yet, I've heard that having a cyst rupture is not exactly a fun thing.

Go to a Dr, get things checked and you'll feel much better, I promise. We'll be here to cheer ya on :hug:
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ingrid
11-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I had an ovarian cyst years ago, and the day before I was supposed to go in for surgery, I went to the doctor and he could not longer feel it. It went away. Never came back, either.:shrug:

jennylozano
11-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Thank you, newamy :) I know, the Polycystic O.S. is much more complex than just an ovarian cyst. My sister has already develop high blood pressure and pre-diabetes and a series of hormonal abnormalities....

The thing is, according to my search in the web, apparently an "ovarian cyst or functional cyst" is not the same as a "complex ovarian cyst", is it? :??

jennylozano
11-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Ingrid, that was close!!! :thumbsup:

Diana, Yes, I finally made the appointment today. They will see me on Friday. My sister has been through the same thing you have. Her endocrinologist is kind of her primary care provider now.... she has to visit him and her gyn too and coordinate her treatment with them. She is afraid she won't be able to have children and I am so sorry for her becasue she has always wanted to be a mom.
Thanks for the hugs!!

auburnchick
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Although I haven't had that experience yet, I've heard that having a cyst rupture is not exactly a fun thing.

A few years ago, I had a cyst on my ovary that ruptured. I had no prior warning...no pain beforehand...no inkling that I had a cyst. The pain came on very suddenly, and my dh rushed me to the ER, where, after an internal ultrasound, they discovered the remains of the ruptured cyst. It was probably one of the most painful things I've ever felt. My gyn told me that most women have cysts every month, but that they usually dissolve on their own. A few, now and then, don't.

Hope everything turns out ok.

:hug:

hellokitty165
11-05-2007, 08:58 PM
i had ovarian cyst for 4 years and eventually did not go away so i had it removed (incision) on the 5th year... now they found fibroid ( i got heavy menses every month... my flow was very rapid like water coming out from the tap alot of clotting too lately there is another cyst on one side of the ovaries..SIGH !
now i had to have ultra sound every six months...sometime i wonder issit best not to have the operation...cos' my body had not been the same as before...recovery time was a torture...

but do keep on eye on them cos' sometime it could turn abnormal..they could tell from the Ultra sound...my GYN alway get her hand on ...she really went into my uterus and feel the cyst and fibroid...it hurts ...

debinoz
11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
My niece had one rupture while she was pregnant. They couldn't give her any hefty pain meds. She miscarried 2 weeks later. To put a bright side on this, she now has 2 wonderful kiddies (3 and 3 weeks)

bailsmom
11-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Just my story here, I have stage 4 endometriosis. I have cysts like you wouldn't believe. At least 7. 2 of them are Endometrial cysts, which means they will not shrink or disappear on their own. Not even with the help of bcp's. Now the other 5 are your basic ovarian cysts. And the one endometrial one on my left ovary hurts every month when I ovulate. I had surgery for this same problem last May. And it came back in 2 months time. I have accepted that this is the hand I've been dealt and that I will probably never be able to have children.
That makes me very sad, but prior to my surgery I had the worst pain of my life on my left ovary. I had to lay down on my right side to help alleviate the pain and that helped only a little bit. The pain lasted 7 days. I finally went in for an u/s and the u/s tech couldn't believe how big it was, neither could I.
The u/s is no big deal. It shouldn't hurt, it'll be uncomfortable, but it shouldn't hurt, if it does SAY SOMETHING or they won't stop pressing on it. Learn from my stupidity. ;)
They also found a fibroid in there too. I'm just a piece of work! But there was no cancer either.
Good luck and I hope it all turns out alright.

auburnchick
11-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Yes, I ditto what was said about letting them know if you are extremely uncomfortable during your ultrasound. When I had mine done, I was in a tremendous amount of pain, and then they did a reverse catherization to fill my bladder with water, and then they couldn't get the picture to come up. They kept pushing that stupid tube thinking it wasn't properly aligned or something, and I was just miserable...probably in tears...I don't remember. Come to find out, the lady had not turned on the monitor. :grrr:

You will do fine. Just remember that you are your own best advocate. Speak up for yourself!

bailsmom
11-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Yes, I ditto what was said about letting them know if you are extremely uncomfortable during your ultrasound. When I had mine done, I was in a tremendous amount of pain, and then they did a reverse catherization to fill my bladder with water, and then they couldn't get the picture to come up. They kept pushing that stupid tube thinking it wasn't properly aligned or something, and I was just miserable...probably in tears...I don't remember. Come to find out, the lady had not turned on the monitor. :grrr:

You will do fine. Just remember that you are your own best advocate. Speak up for yourself!:hug:

Oh this is so very true!! :thumbsup:

jennylozano
11-17-2007, 10:15 PM
I wanted to update my thread.... Well, I had my appointment with the gyn and he ordered a new ultrasound... It was a little hard to hold my blader (sp) that full for more than 45 minutes... The ultrasound technicians were running a bit late!!! Well, I received the results today and according to the exams, my ovarian complex cyst is GONE :woot: I am so much relieved and happy!!! I still have my uterine fibroids, but you know, as long as I can live with them, there is no reason to be worried.:happydance: The doctor wrote that he still can look with the scope but after having a "normal" ultrasound he won't likely find anything, so it won't be necessary. I hope he is right because I guess there is no reason for me to want further examination for now.... right?

bailsmom
11-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Oh that's wonderful!! Yeah!! :woot:

Are you having anymore pain? I'm not very familiar with fibroids although I did have one removed at my last surgery in May, but my doctor didn't even say boo to me about it so I'm not the one to ask. Did you ask him if they will be a problem in the future for you? Pain wise, I mean, as well as trying to have children down the road. If that's your wish. :cool:

I guess for me if I was hurting then I'd be persistant for the laporoscopy, but that's me and since I've had them done before I know what to expect. It's not bad at all.

I hope they all disappear forever!! Congrats again on "fixing" yourself. :teehee:

ladyjessica
11-18-2007, 12:11 AM
That's awesome! :cheering: I hope they stay away and you don't have any more trouble with them!

That being said, 4 years ago I had a complex ovarian cyst removed that weighed 25 pounds. Yes, 25 pounds. I had a few symptoms that all of my doctors chalked up to my being overweight. I figured, I'm big, so I'm just getting bigger. Anyway, all the doctors I went to ignored all my symptoms and told me to go on a diet. After losing almost 60 pounds and still weighing more than I did when I originally saw the doctor, she yelled at me, told me to follow a strict diet, and tried to give me depression medication. The next day I had severe pain and had to go to the ER. They did an ultrasound and the cyst was so big that the ultrasound was completely black. The doctor said that it was the biggest cyst she had ever seen. hehe. :aww: I ended up losing my ovary and falopian tube on that side because the cyst was wound around everything.

Anyway, that being said, the doctor said that she had seen a few small cysts on the other side but she didn't remove those, and when I went back for a check-up later they were gone. So, as you've seen, they can go away. My doctor said most cysts form and go away and nobody ever knows about them. It's just certain types that can grow really big, really quickly.

But, as I said, hopefully you won't have to deal with anymore. :grphug: :grphug:

auburnchick
11-18-2007, 01:14 AM
What wonderful news! What nice timing too...with Thanksgiving around the corner.

DianaM
11-18-2007, 10:37 AM
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

jennylozano
11-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh that's wonderful!! Yeah!! :woot:

Are you having anymore pain? I'm not very familiar with fibroids although I did have one removed at my last surgery in May, but my doctor didn't even say boo to me about it so I'm not the one to ask. Did you ask him if they will be a problem in the future for you? Pain wise, I mean, as well as trying to have children down the road. If that's your wish. :cool:

I guess for me if I was hurting then I'd be persistant for the laporoscopy, but that's me and since I've had them done before I know what to expect. It's not bad at all.

I hope they all disappear forever!! Congrats again on "fixing" yourself. :teehee:

Thank you!! :hug: No, I am not having that much pain... I did back in March have a terrible pain, but during the last months I have just felt the "normal" menstrual pain. I asked about the fibroids and the doctor said as long as I do not have symptoms that are too bothersome, I can live with them, with annual check ups. As for having children (I am still trying to decide if I would like to be a mom or not) he said fibroids can make it difficult in a small percentage of cases but that, in general, women with fibroids are able to conceive although are more likely to have a C-section. I think for now I won't ask for a laparoscopy cause everything seems to be fine. My biggest concern was the "left ovary complex cyst" from my last ultrasound!

jennylozano
11-18-2007, 05:01 PM
That's awesome! :cheering: I hope they stay away and you don't have any more trouble with them!

That being said, 4 years ago I had a complex ovarian cyst removed that weighed 25 pounds. Yes, 25 pounds. I had a few symptoms that all of my doctors chalked up to my being overweight. I figured, I'm big, so I'm just getting bigger. Anyway, all the doctors I went to ignored all my symptoms and told me to go on a diet. After losing almost 60 pounds and still weighing more than I did when I originally saw the doctor, she yelled at me, told me to follow a strict diet, and tried to give me depression medication. The next day I had severe pain and had to go to the ER. They did an ultrasound and the cyst was so big that the ultrasound was completely black. The doctor said that it was the biggest cyst she had ever seen. hehe. :aww: I ended up losing my ovary and falopian tube on that side because the cyst was wound around everything.

Anyway, that being said, the doctor said that she had seen a few small cysts on the other side but she didn't remove those, and when I went back for a check-up later they were gone. So, as you've seen, they can go away. My doctor said most cysts form and go away and nobody ever knows about them. It's just certain types that can grow really big, really quickly.

But, as I said, hopefully you won't have to deal with anymore. :grphug: :grphug:

Thanks a lot for your post. :muah: Wow, what a story!!! Yes, I do hope they stay away, I have enough knowing about my fibroids :teehee: I wonder how the ovary and falopian tube removal have affected your life. Just curious about that procedure. I hate when doctors assume you must do this or that when it is them who are not right in their diagnose!!!

ladyjessica
11-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks a lot for your post. :muah: Wow, what a story!!! Yes, I do hope they stay away, I have enough knowing about my fibroids :teehee: I wonder how the ovary and falopian tube removal have affected your life. Just curious about that procedure. I hate when doctors assume you must do this or that when it is them who are not right in their diagnose!!!

Well. hehe. She did warn me before going into surgery that she might have to take part of my ovary, so that wasn't a huge shock.

I was okay for about a year after it was done, everything worked fairly normally, which actually was new for me. But then I got kind of irregular again, and 2 years ago my hair started falling out. It fell out for a few months, and then it stopped and grew back. Then it started falling out again, stopped and grew back. Now this year it's started falling out again and it hasn't stopped yet. :sad: I also have symptoms of PCOS, but I haven't technically been diagnosed with it yet, and my thyroid is all out of whack. I don't know if the last one is related at all, but there you are.

I just picked up my medicine today for the thyroid problem, and I'm supposed to see an endocrinologist b/c my dr. thinks that there's something going on w/ my hormones that's making my hair fall out, etc.

On the plus side, I've become a lot more vigilant in making sure that the ovary I have left stays put. I don't see myself having kids anytime soon, but I'd like to know that I could if I wanted to. I've also become a lot more skeptical, though, when it comes to doctors. If they tell me all my problems are weight-related, I'm out the door. I know I'm overweight, but don't assume that every malady I have is directly related to that. So, I'm not so quick to believe what they tell me anymore, but the dr. I've just started seeing seems really good, so hopefully I can get everything straightened out. I really just want my hair back. hehe. :teehee:

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know. :thumbsup: