PDA

View Full Version : Palindrome Scarf+ for Grandson!

The.Knitter
11-05-2007, 10:43 PM
I made my grandson a palindrome scarf for a Halloween present. I sent it to him. He got it. He loves it. My DD complained that it is not long enough. Sooooo, I made another. I am in the home stretch with this scarf. I changed it a fair bit. I made it two cables wide instead of three. The middle of the scarf I did in garter stitch so he can have his neck good and warm or wrap it so his mouth is covered when walking to school. I only have twenty rows to do.

Here's the problem. I did two patterns in navy, then two patterns in medium blue, then nine patterns in navy = 20 inches, then I knit 10 inches in garter stitch, then I did nine patterns in navy, now I am doing two patterns in medium blue (if I have enough yarn) and then I will do two patterns in navy (if I have enough yarn. It is getting scary.

Please send best wishes that the yarn holds out until I am finished this darned scarf. The child is unhappy with his other scarf now because he heard his mother belly aching about the length. *Sigh*

I will post a picture later when I finish this thing. I WILL NOT go to bed tonight until it is done or I will just lay there and wonder if I am going to have enough yarn to finish it. I might as well just face the music tonight.

Stay tuned..........

:hair:

momwolf
11-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Brandy_m
11-05-2007, 11:47 PM
How's it going?

The.Knitter
11-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Holding my breath here. I have ummm let me see four rows to go, I was short one row of the medium blue, but I don't think that will be noticed. Now all I have to do is get through four rows of navy (one being a cable row) and I will be laughing.

The.Knitter
11-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm not going to make it.....

The.Knitter
11-06-2007, 12:02 AM
OMG, desperation is when you go thru the garbage pail to get the pieces you cut off when weaving in the ends. I have 5 stitches to cast off...... dammit!

The.Knitter
11-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I am actually SWEATING here!

OK let me weave in the threads and take a picture and I will show you!

The.Knitter
11-06-2007, 12:27 AM
I have absolutely no idea how I managed to finish it, what with scraping through the garbage pail beside my desk here, but here it is and it is DONE!!! I hope this satisfies DD. At least I know I gave it my best shot. I am not pleased with the fact that the garter stitch is way wider than the cable part, but it will keep his neck warm, or his face if she ties the scarf onto him backwards!

:woohoo:

P.S. Thanks for caring Brandy! I appreciated the sympathy and encouragement.

Lady Violet
11-06-2007, 12:50 AM
that looks really good (and practical)! your DD should be satisfied. :thumbsup:

scout52
11-06-2007, 03:34 AM
I think it came out great. I think we have all been there, going for the yarn scraps when you only need like a yard more when you run out.

msmelody
11-06-2007, 05:48 AM
You are much better than I. I would have told her if it needs to be longer, you knit it longer, or I would have made her send it back to me, and frog the cast off and started from there. When someone complains about what I knit for them, I ask for it back, and never make them anything else. Sorry DD was a pain when DGS loved his scarf.

Jaxhil
11-06-2007, 08:14 AM
:woohoo::woot:

Hooray! You finished!!! It looks *great*, btw! LOL, I am working on a scarf right now that I am wondering if I will have enough yarn to finish the way it started-blue, red stripe, then blue middle (I am running low on this yarn! :pray: ) Then I have another red stripe and a little more blue...I'm sweatin' too. :teehee:

It's for my Dson who is 7 and I am sure he will be kind enough to wear it regardless. Or else! :mrgreen:

Brandy_m
11-06-2007, 08:36 AM
I think it looks great!! How old is he? My boys would love a scarf someone made for them! (They are 6 and 7)!

(Note to self: when grandma makes somethin for the kids, don't mention any flaws it may have!) Poo on your DD ;)

Slim
11-06-2007, 08:48 AM
I think you are a saint to put so much love and effort into a scarf for your grandson after already having made him one. I agree with msmelody about having DD send the original scarf back -- at least then someone else could use it. The scarf looks great and I'm sure your grandson will love it!

kkatt82
11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I think it came out great! Good idea on the garter stitch in the middle :)

The.Knitter
11-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. This is one FO I will be glad to see go to it's home! I usually buy more yarn than is needed for a project, but I was raiding the stash for this scarf. Oh well, it's done now, thankfully!

dustinac
11-06-2007, 10:16 AM
It looks wonderful...I'm sure he will love this one...be like getting an extra hug from you...:happydance:

monzogary
11-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Well that sucks that he was happy with it until his mother complained about it. Good luck with finishing this one!

GiddyKnitter
11-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Wow that was a close shave you had me sweating here wondering if you would be able to finish it!! It looks lovely well done x

Ironlung21
11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Phew - that was nerve wracking knitting by installments - am very relieved you found the necessary for those last five stitches.

Hang on a minute though = is this the DD with the dress in the box? Far be it for me to condone violence - but if it is the same one - I would have to say that I think she deserves a poke in the eye.

I think its a lovely scarf and I am sure you are restricting such bounty to the grandkids!

Samsam
11-12-2007, 07:58 PM
lovely! glad is worked out!

oh and a little off topic..I see in the picture you posted that there's cow things in the background. Do you love cows? so do I!

MerigoldinWA
11-13-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm glad you made it. It's always a relief when you manage to pull something off that you were afraid you might not. :-)

Abbily
11-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Oh my goodness, I must applaud your devotion to your grandchildren, despite the best efforts of your daughter! You are one amazing grandma, and I promise your grandchildren will thank you for it when they are old enough to know!

I just came across this thread today, but I was on tenterhooks reading it, hoping that your thread would hold out! Great job on the scarf!

rissa
11-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Sooo glad you were able to finish it! It looks lovely! Sorry DD had to discourage you that way. :hug:

The.Knitter
11-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Phew - that was nerve wracking knitting by installments - am very relieved you found the necessary for those last five stitches.

Hang on a minute though = is this the DD with the dress in the box? Far be it for me to condone violence - but if it is the same one - I would have to say that I think she deserves a poke in the eye.

I think its a lovely scarf and I am sure you are restricting such bounty to the grandkids!

Same DD, same grandchildren. Why should they suffer for their mother's lack of manners? He needed a nice warm scarf to keep him comfy walking to school. He is a good boy and will appreciate it when it gets cold enough to wear it. I refuse to even acknowledge her actions. I just pay attention to the children.

Hurt me once, shame on you, hurt me twice, shame on me! (my motto when dealing with DD over things I know will hurt me)

Thanks for the compliments! The scarf DID turn out nicely, I think.

The.Knitter
11-13-2007, 02:51 PM
lovely! glad is worked out!

oh and a little off topic..I see in the picture you posted that there's cow things in the background. Do you love cows? so do I!

My whole kitchen is decorated in cow. The bathroom door is in the kitchen and there is a sign on it saying "cow pasture".
I love my cows. I have all sorts of cows, every imaginable one you could think of. The one in the picture is a cookie jar.

amberof2
11-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Can't wait to see it!!!

Tutu Carol
11-14-2007, 02:36 PM
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

ah
11-24-2007, 12:36 AM
The wider neck section is brilliant. It will keep the back of his neck good and warm.