PDA

View Full Version : Custom Stash Cabinet

Sharly
11-06-2007, 01:17 PM
We have a dead spot in our very small foyer behind the door. I had originally wanted a hall tree bench type thing to go in that space, but that was before my knitting addiction. Now I have decided it would be a great area for organizing my yarn.

Hubby :heart: has agreed to build me a custom cabinet to fit there. What I have in mind is a china cabinet type thing with glass doors at the top and shelves upon which I will place large bowls (flea markety, eclectic collection) to fill with many center pull balls of yarn. At the bottom, instead of a cabinet type opening, I'm thinking drawers. Maybe various depths. A place for patterns, needles and other yarn that I maybe wouldn't want to display.

What I want to know from you guys is, what have I not thought of? Do you think this would work nicely, and do you have any ideas to add?

At the rate we get projects done around our house, it might be awhile before it is done, but I want to have a firm plan in place when he is ready to start. He does good work! The most recent project he completed is a fireplace mantle (http://houseof9lives.wordpress.com/2007/11/05/the-score-1-0/), and he also built a wonderful entertainment armoire (http://houseof9lives.wordpress.com/home-renovationsdecor/living-room/). Both pieces are our own designs.

Thanks!

Songbirdy
11-06-2007, 02:18 PM
One of my local yarn stores has a wall of cubbies... but with them on a diagonal diamond like pattern (you don't see squares, just diamonds).

I really like those because the colours of yarn look so lovely stacked up in those cubbies. Then they have certain straight needles and such in one of those cubbies, but it has more sections in that particular cube.

That might look really pretty behind glass too... I'm thinking you might want all of it behind doors if it is in the entrance way...

What a nice idea and a really good use of space!

And both of the other projects look great!

Sharly
11-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!! The design will be a work in progress for a while, I'm sure! Even though it is in the entryway, it won't be that prominent (and, there is nothing formal about our house, anyway :) ), as it will be behind the door as it opens. I was thinking of using the display of yarn as a sort of an art piece, anything will be an improvement over what is there now :)

Thanks for your comment about the other projects as well :)

debinoz
11-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Sounds like you've thought of everything. If you have books/folders/notebooks, you might consider a place for those. My first thought was with the glass doors.... when the front door is opened, you're not going to have a room full of broken glass, are you?

KnittingNat
11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I :heart: hand-made furniture, but i think you should also consider stash enhancement process. I agree totally and completely that balls in bowls (:teehee:) is very chic, but what about adding stash? I don't have a big stash at all and i'm already looking for extra solutions on top of the plastic drawers i have (they are not the best looking, but they're well hidden:teehee:).I think you can make a small display space, combined with a room for the books and consider more drawers maybe.

ecb
11-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Sounds lovely
I was going to recommend the diamond shapes like a Wine cabinet to display the lovely color of the Yarns
the glass will keep it clean, and safe, and maybe some Cedar on the inside fo the cabinet will fend off Moths and their Children (evil moth worms)

ecb

Sharly
11-06-2007, 06:00 PM
:) My first thought was with the glass doors.... when the front door is opened, you're not going to have a room full of broken glass, are you?

Good thinking!! We will definitely have a door stop to hopefully prevent that!!

I think you can make a small display space, combined with a room for the books and consider more drawers maybe.

I'm with you there - I am planning on plenty of drawer space!!

... and maybe some Cedar on the inside fo the cabinet will fend off Moths and their Children (evil moth worms)ecb

Hmmm....that's not something I would have thought of! Hubby would love that idea - we'll have to see about working that in. I think the overall design will have a somewhat mission look to it. And, he's pretty much told me no more painted furniture. He loves the look of bare wood. Our entire ceiling is pine, and our cabinetry is hickory, so I'm constantly trying to find a balance...I insisted the mantel be painted white, but I know this piece will have to be natural. It was a compromise :lol:

Thanks everyone!!

marykz
11-06-2007, 06:10 PM
can he come to my house and build me something? :) pleeeeeeese? really- it sounds lovely.....

Sharly
11-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes! When he finishes all the projects I can come up with for him to do!! :)

Seriously, though, he's not opposed to going into business doing this kind of thing...who knows? Maybe someday!!

The.Knitter
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Sounds like you've thought of everything. If you have books/folders/notebooks, you might consider a place for those. My first thought was with the glass doors.... when the front door is opened, you're not going to have a room full of broken glass, are you?

You might want to consider plexi-glass instead of glass, or go for broke and get the unbreakable glass. Then you won't be picking little shards of glass out of your carefully rolled balls of yarn. The other two projects are beautiful too! It looks like the whole family has an artistic streak. Best of luck with your new project and Happy Knitting!

CountryKitty
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
How about various cylindrical pottery vases to round out your collection? Tall one for long needles, medium for short, short for crotchet hooks or DP...and of course, any antique or unique ones can lay on display in front of the vases.