PDA

View Full Version : FO: Malabrigo Bed Jacket!

ArtLady1981
11-07-2007, 04:11 AM
Hi'ya! :waving:

I needed a bed jacket. Bathrobes are too long (ya can't sit Indian Fashion in them very well)...and normal cardigans are too sweatery...sleeves too long, too many buttons.

I looked and looked for a pattern that looked like I could develop it into a sweet BED JACKET! This cream-colored sweater is the model photo. The pattern leaflet is a BlueSkyAlpaca pattern, titled "Eyelet Cardigan". It took 4.5 skeins of Malabrigo Merino Worsted for the size L.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/EyeletCardiganbyBlueSkyAlpacascom.jpg

This is my "Green Spark" Malabrigo Bed Jacket! I love it, and I may live in it for days! It is warm, cozy and lightweight...and not too hot in any way! I did more increases through the arms and body so that it would be a looser fit, appropriate for a bed jacket. One button closure.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3516.jpg

Here is a closeup of my Bell Ruffle cuffs. This is the same ruffle pattern that I installed on the edges of my Red Aran Afghan instead of the standard fringe. The bell ruffle cuffs are a pattern found in Nicki Epstein's "Knitting On The Edge". I love her books! So useful!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3521.jpg

Debbie
11-07-2007, 04:15 AM
So pretty!!!

slightly addicted to yarn
11-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Yet another beautiful fo - but too lovely to wear in bed, surely? It's gorgeous!

ArtLady1981
11-07-2007, 04:31 AM
Yet another beautiful fo - but too lovely to wear in bed, surely? It's gorgeous!

Tee hee! :teehee: I might wear it to bed! But, I made it for sitting around the family room...knitting late at night. DH and I can't come to an agreement on what is the right temperature in the house. He being an Outdoorsman, me being an Insider! So, this little bed jacket offsets the compromise I had to make! :thumbsup:

KnittingNat
11-07-2007, 04:43 AM
I think it's becoming a habbit for me to absolutely :heart: :heart: :heart: your FO's :teehee: !!! It's gorgeous and my favourite colour too! Is Nicki Epstein's book that useful, is it worth adding to my library?

ArtLady1981
11-07-2007, 04:50 AM
I think it's becoming a habbit for me to absolutely :heart: :heart: :heart: your FO's :teehee: !!! It's gorgeous and my favourite colour too! Is Nicki Epstein's book that useful, is it worth adding to my library?

Yes! All 3 of her "Edge" books are a MUST! Especially if you like to depart from the blah-zey edges and 'customize' your work!

Knitting On The Edge, Knitting Over the Edge, and Knitting Beyond the Edge.

If you could only buy one...get the first one. It is my favorite of the 3!

Glad you like my little bed jacket. I feel so good about it, and IN IT!

Debkcs
11-07-2007, 04:58 AM
Absolutly wonderful, as usual!

My husband and I have that 'cooler vs. warmer' thing going on also.

ArtLady1981
11-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Absolutly wonderful, as usual!

My husband and I have that 'cooler vs. warmer' thing going on also.

Thanks Deb! I appreciate your complimentary comments! :muah:

soobeeoz
11-07-2007, 05:25 AM
That's so pretty! Gorgeous colour, too. :woohoo:

ritaw
11-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Just Lovely. Great work .

knitwit
11-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Awesome & great colors too! Enjoy wearing it!

GinnyG
11-07-2007, 07:59 AM
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I wish I could be YOU when I grow up..... oh yea, I AM GROWN UP:shock:

Slim
11-07-2007, 08:17 AM
It's absolutely beautiful! Great pattern, lovely color, and I can just imagine how soft that malabrigo feels! I love the way you customized it -- the bell ruffle cuffs are perfect!

monzogary
11-07-2007, 08:36 AM
That is really lovely! Your modifications are marvelous.

Brandy_m
11-07-2007, 08:43 AM
That is beautiful!! WOW!!!

merryknitter
11-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Artlady...that is so very beautiful...love the color...and I love seeing all you design. I've only been knitting for a year and I look forward to knitting like you!
:)

momwolf
11-07-2007, 09:21 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_105.gif Everything you do is drop dead http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_113.gif
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_109.gif

dustinac
11-07-2007, 09:25 AM
:woot: So pretty!! I love the color:woot: ...

sue in canada
11-07-2007, 09:25 AM
That is beautiful. All your work is amazing and you seem to knit so quickly too. Great job as usual.

mhansen
11-07-2007, 09:50 AM
I love it. Love the color, love the pattern.

Ginnyb
11-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I can't believe how beautifully you knit!!! The colors, everything is always gorgeous and so professional! WOW! I would only hope I will be able to knit nearly as well as you over time...

Ginny

GiddyKnitter
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Artlady

Your work is astounding!!
I would truely love to knit that little jacket for myself.
Pauline x x

lelvsdgs
11-07-2007, 05:27 PM
This is gorgeous... great job...

Jaxhil
11-07-2007, 05:27 PM
gorgeous!!!:inlove::yay:

loopieT
11-07-2007, 05:46 PM
so cute I love it

Skater
11-07-2007, 05:46 PM
How sweet and pretty. I recognized the bell ruffle from Nicki Epstein's Knitting On The Edge book. That little jacket's a real keeper.

ArtLady1981
11-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks EVERYONE for taking a peek at my Malabrigo Bed Jacket...and I love that you love it, too!

I highly recommend Malabrigo for "wearing" as a garment. Most of us seem to use it for scarves and hats. But, it is really nice when worn on the bod. It is not overly warm in the house like some may expect! Maybe it is the eyelets??!! Maybe they are my "vents"!

If you decide to try a Malabrigo garment...remember this: You'll never get 5 skeins that are all the same "color". For example, this batch of 5 "Green Spark" skeins: 3 were a darker green (used for the body), and 2 skeins were lighter green (used for the sleeves). Do you notice that in my photo? I do!

Since this was just a bed jacket for me, to be worn in the privacy of my home, I didn't bother to alternate rows to distribute the two "dyelots" evenly throughout the garment. If I intended to wear it in public, I can assure you I would have alternated skeins.

I am making another Malabrigo Bed Jacket now (in Cuarzo/Purples)...and guess what?? 4 of the skeins seem to be the same dyelot...and 2 are different. These 2 have really really light purple in them...and these knit up together across about 12 stitches in width sporadically. So, the on the BACK of this bed jacket, from the armholes to the neckline...my bed jacket is "different". Sigh.

Here is a 'model photo' for the purple bed jacket. When it is finished, I will post it in FO's. I'll add the bell ruffle cuff to this jacket, too...but no buttons. I'll find something cute in Nicki Epstein's "Knitted Embellishments". She never disappoints!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/1909767882_adc49380c2_m.jpg

Lady Violet
11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
YOU FINISHED IT!!! :woot:
that looks amaaaazing!!! about the sleeves - it just looks like the light's hitting it. if anyone actually sees you in it and says something, you can just tell them it's an optical illusion. :teehee:
as always, :notworthy:

Tobinknit
11-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Absolutely beautiful! You always do such professional work. Great job.

Jen17
11-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Very very pretty! Looks more beautiful than an old bathrobe any day!
Great color too!:yay:

*KnitPixie*
11-07-2007, 11:57 PM
YOur "bed" shirt is gorgeous:heart: and I love the color and malabrigo:drool: it must be extremely soft and snuggly

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I love it!

I think that I'll need to make something like this for my classroom- it's a bit NIPPY and we haven't even started WINTER yet!

ArtLady1981
11-08-2007, 10:16 PM
YOur "bed" shirt is gorgeous:heart: and I love the color and malabrigo:drool: it must be extremely soft and snuggly

Malabrigo is absolutely HEAVENLY to knit. As it passes through my fingers, I can't believe anything could be so soft. I actually have to stop sometimes and just feel it to believe it! I just wished the colorways were more stable and consistent.

If you buy even two skeins of the same color, it is a crapshoot if they will actually match close enough to just knit, without some kind of skein manipulations.

cinnamon_girl
11-08-2007, 11:20 PM
ArtLady... it is just beautiful!! I love it!! :inlove: :inlove:

sorantes123
11-09-2007, 01:35 AM
I love the color and the pattern. I have been wanting a shrug. You have set my imagination on fireeeeeeeeee. :woohoo:

gamerchik
11-09-2007, 05:26 AM
That is absolutely STUNNING!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wends
11-09-2007, 08:36 AM
That is gorgeous! I love the colour and I bet it's comfy.

mdog182
11-10-2007, 12:56 AM
sooooo cute!!!! i love it!

ah
11-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Gorgeous! I love the color, the pattern, and the ruffle.

The.Knitter
11-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Beautiful, beautiful, professional looking, wonderful knitting, oh so beautiful ..... *sigh* What I would not give for that book now, hey, what I would not give for one of those bed jackets. Due to my disability, I often have days where I cannot get out of bed, but I can sit and knit in bed so long as I don't move around. This jacket would be perfect for me. It's too hot to wear a bathrobe in bed. Actually I REALLY liked the second one. Is it likely you would share the ruffle pattern and the second jacket pattern? If not, please tell me where you got the pattern and I will get to the library on one of my good days! If you will share, please PM me for the e-mail address. Also, I am allergic to wool, so can your mmmm be substituted for something else? What would you recommend? Thanks so much.

Mommy22alyns
11-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Wow... :inlove: You turn out some of the most exquisite knitting I've ever seen!!

ArtLady1981
11-10-2007, 10:02 PM
That is gorgeous! I love the colour and I bet it's comfy.

Hi'ya Wends! :waving:

Yeah...COMFY is the perrrrfect word! If I were a cat, I'd be purring! :teehee:

auburnchick
11-12-2007, 12:29 AM
ArtLady,

I hereby crown you the Queen of Knitters! Your work is absolutely a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!! Wowsa!

:passedout:

ArtLady1981
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Beautiful, beautiful, professional looking, wonderful knitting, oh so beautiful ..... *sigh* What I would not give for that book now, hey, what I would not give for one of those bed jackets. Due to my disability, I often have days where I cannot get out of bed, but I can sit and knit in bed so long as I don't move around. This jacket would be perfect for me. It's too hot to wear a bathrobe in bed. Actually I REALLY liked the second one. Is it likely you would share the ruffle pattern and the second jacket pattern? If not, please tell me where you got the pattern and I will get to the library on one of my good days! If you will share, please PM me for the e-mail address. Also, I am allergic to wool, so can your mmmm be substituted for something else? What would you recommend? Thanks so much.

Hi Knitter! :waving:

The Petite Bell Ruffle is found in Nicki Epstein's book called Knitting On the Edge...currently still available. (Not out of print yet.) HERE (http://www.knitpicks.com/Knitting_Supplies.aspx?id=3004&key=knitting%20on%20the%20edge) is a link for it at KNITPICKS. It is featured in the 2nd row of books.
I highly recommend this book. It has been so useful! I am not much of a designer, but I do like to tweak my edgings sometimes! That is about all I do in the "creativity" department! Mostly, I just follow the directions as set forth by the designers.

ALSO:
Knitting On the Edge (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-4468745-5638241?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=knitting+on+the+edge&x=0&y=0) at Amazon.com has reduced prices available.

And finally, I found the pattern booklet for you!!!! Click HERE (http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_75_133&products_id=1752) to visit the Dreamweaversyarns.com website. They even show the patterns inside! It is the Spring-Summer 2007 leaflet. ($14.99) Lots of cute patterns. I had a hard time deciding between 3 designs that look "bed jacket friendly"!

Let me know what you decide to do. Oh, BTW...if you are allergic to wool...why not get a loverly acrylic!? There are many really soft, luscious acrylic choices! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
I have a favorite soft acrylic, but I can't think what the name of it is. I know it IS NOT Red Heart. Maybe Caron's.

The.Knitter
11-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi Knitter! :waving:

The Petite Bell Ruffle is found in Nicki Epstein's book called Knitting On the Edge...currently still available. (Not out of print yet.) HERE (http://www.knitpicks.com/Knitting_Supplies.aspx?id=3004&key=knitting%20on%20the%20edge) is a link for it at KNITPICKS. It is featured in the 2nd row of books.
I highly recommend this book. It has been so useful! I am not much of a designer, but I do like to tweak my edgings sometimes! That is about all I do in the "creativity" department! Mostly, I just follow the directions as set forth by the designers.

ALSO:
Knitting On the Edge (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-4468745-5638241?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=knitting+on+the+edge&x=0&y=0) at Amazon.com has reduced prices available.

And finally, I found the pattern booklet for you!!!! Click HERE (http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_75_133&products_id=1752) to visit the Dreamweaversyarns.com website. They even show the patterns inside! It is the Spring-Summer 2007 leaflet. ($14.99) Lots of cute patterns. I had a hard time deciding between 3 designs that look "bed jacket friendly"!

Let me know what you decide to do. Oh, BTW...if you are allergic to wool...why not get a loverly acrylic!? There are many really soft, luscious acrylic choices! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
I have a favorite soft acrylic, but I can't think what the name of it is. I know it IS NOT Red Heart. Maybe Caron's.

Thanks so much! I'll have to wait until after Christmas to buy this (although I am really interested in that book). All my "extra" money will be tied up in buying gifts. Thanks for all the work though, I will flag this post (if I can figure out how) so that after Christmas I know where it is. Again, thanks so much!

:hug:

Hygiene Mama
11-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Beautiful! You are so talented!

MerigoldinWA
11-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Lovely adaptation of a pattern, ArtLady. Perfect for sitting around knitting. Your yarn color is beautiful and the button is just right.

I have been wanting to get those books. I've looked through them and they look like they would be great to have.

Thanks to the links above I went ahead and ordered book 1 of the group. :-)

sorantes123
11-13-2007, 03:42 AM
HI there, I think Caron's Simply Soft is the most lucious of all the acrylics. It lives up to its name and it doesn't pill like a lot of yarns. AND it is NOT very expensive. The CAron online site still sells is for 2something a 6 oz skein.

Tutu Carol
11-14-2007, 02:38 PM
cloud9BEAUTIFULcloud9

Shandeh
11-15-2007, 03:03 AM
I agree with you about loving the feel of knitting with Malabrigo. It's the only yarn that feels quite that way. I just LOVE knitting with that yarn.

When you see Malabrigo in the skein, it's pretty. When you touch it, it's SOFT! But, when you knit with it, it comes alive.

nonny2t
11-15-2007, 08:20 AM
It is just gorgeous!

Grandmaknits
11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
absolutely gorgeous!!!

jeanius80
11-15-2007, 10:47 PM
mmm what everyone else said! just beautiful! and thanks for all the links for the patterning help.