PDA

View Full Version : Wrap or Turn

schoen1605
11-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I've been told that I crochet like a knitter (and crochet like a knitter). When I crochet, I hold the hook steady and wrap the yarn around the hook -- with the hook facing down. I've seen crocheters who turn the hook to face upwards, catch the thread, and then turn it again to face downwards before pulling the yarn through.

How do you crochet?

Boogs
11-08-2007, 03:09 PM
It used to be, when I first taught myself to crochet, that I would wrap the yarn around the hook. It took a while but somehow I transitioned to moving the hook rather than the yarn.

schoen1605
11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Why did you switch?
By the way, I was taught to wrap the yarn by both my aunt on my mother's side (from Iowa) and my grandmother on my dad's side (originally from Missouri). The only things they had in common were that they did a lot of crafts and also that they were born around 1900.

Boogs
11-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Why did you switch?

I'd watched a few videos and seen the yarn held in the left hand whereas I started off holding the yarn with my right hand so I wanted to try it - much like English-style knitters might try continental style, as I have done.

It worked out that holding the yarn with my left hand and moving the hook rather than the yarn made me much faster. :thumbsup:

aprildavis99
11-09-2007, 11:11 AM
I guess I do a combination of both. I use my right hand fingers to turn the hook up, my left hand to wrap the yarn, then my right hand fingers to turn the hook down again. I never use my right hand to "pick" the yarn onto the needle, which is the way I see most people do it. I don't know why I do this. I was self taught with books and that's just how it turned out. I didn't even notice I did it until I met another crocheter. After watching me she laughed because she said it was strange that I use both hands at the same time. She said most people only with "pick" or "wrap" with only 1 hand. She said I would be good at knitting for that reason....which is what prompted me to knit after 12 years of my two-handed crocheting. By the way, I knit continental and it was easy to learn because I was already used to holding the yarn in my left hand and moving both hands at the same time. Does that make me weird, or what??? My friends seem to thing so. :teehee:

Becky Morgan
11-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Then I'm weird, too, because that's exactly how I do it. Left hand holds the yarn and guides the work, right hand holds hook sort of like a paring knife and meets the yarn kinda halfway. It's far easier to do than describe.

aprildavis99
11-09-2007, 11:38 AM
:woohoo: I'm a knife-holder too!
Maybe that's the difference.:shrug:

Eccie
11-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I had to go try it to see which I did :P I'm a turner. My left hand doesn't move at all. Just one finger stuck out straight to stretch the yarn out to be hooked. I tried wrapping and that worked fairly easily for me too, but as soon as I got into the groove and started speeding up my hands switched back to turning

remclave
11-13-2007, 07:57 AM
I voted other because I do both.

Yarnlady
11-13-2007, 08:43 AM
I hold the yarn with my left hand, hook with my right, hook side down. My hook darts out and snags the yarn and pulls it into the loop being held steady with left thumb and middle finger.

cftwo
11-13-2007, 10:30 AM
My left hand (yarn holder) doesn't move much at all, unless it's to move the work so I can get the hook in easier.

hydeemarie
11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
I crochet like tjw1963 on youtube. I hold the yarn in my left hand really close to my work. The crochet hook is is facing down, i go into the stitch, and i kind of wrap and turn the hook at the same time. Eh... its easy for me. :thumbsup:

mhansen
11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I had to go and crochet a swatch to remember how I crochet but I hold the yarn with my left hand and the needle with my right hand. I put the hook through the stitch catch the yarn turn the hook and bring the yarn through. Whew!! I never really thought of this before. But when I knit I cannot hold the yarn in any hand. The yarn is just there, when I put the needle through to knit or purl, I pick the yarn up with my right hand catch with the needle and bring through. But I cannot hold the yarn the way all the videos show you. I tried holding the yarn and it feels funny and I can't do it. I have also noticed that I cannot knit 100 miles an hour the way I have seen some people do. I have been knitting and crocheting since I was about 10 years old. For years I preferred crochet but in the last year or so I have picked up knitting again and really enjoy it.

EssenceRose
11-17-2007, 06:54 AM
I turn more than wrap. Having said that, I don't hold the working yarn so that it is wrapped over my fingers... The working yarn just hangs there and I kind of use my pinky finger to guide it up so that my hook can catch it (if that even makes any sense).

I'm also a continental knitter and I throw the yarn for that as well.

OffJumpsJack
11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
My mom taught me to crochet (because I asked) while I was a young boy. So I hold the hook like a knitting needle (not like a pencil) and twist and move the hook to catch the yarn. I also hold the yarn with my left hand when I knit. When I see others release the hook/needle and wrap I think they are new to the craft, but I know many people have difficulty using both hands.

I guess it is because my mom worked in an assembly plant, and using both hands was necessary to increase and maintain efficiency. A couple summer jobs there during college led me to be aware of and learn from both right-handed and left-handed co-workers and find the best process to either use both hands or to alternate (sometimes allows one hand to rest with less work). I look at it as "Why overwork one hand and be slower? "

I haven't knitted since my mom taught me some 30 years ago. So I found this place and am glad I did.