PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me being unduly grumpy?

Ironlung21
11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Is there anyone else out there in Knitting Help land that finds these things a little trying?:muah: :hug: :cheering: :yay: :roflhard: :knitting:

How about a fellow traveller on the road to 'oh get over it with your ravelry obsession business' ?

Jan in CA
11-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Ravelry is a fairly new thing and like any new thing it gets talked about. If you don't like Ravelry or don't want to read anymore about it then don't open the those posts. It's as simple as that.

Most of us like smileys, but if you don't you are welcome to scroll down and select "disable smileys". Just remember though that they can convey a feeling that words can't so you may miss some meaning in a post w/o them.

Ingrid
11-08-2007, 07:52 PM
:muah::teehee:

I think smileys do enable you to express yourself better. Just my opinion, though.

The Ravelry hoopla will die down. . .

Ironlung21
11-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Two very polite ways of saying 'yes - shut it grumpy!' Quite right too
I hope so on the ravelry front and v big thank you for the tip on how to turn them off - or should that be:muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah:

Ingrid
11-08-2007, 08:44 PM
:rofl::rofl:

sinistral_needler
11-09-2007, 12:13 PM
:eyebrow2:Uh, just my two cents but .. don't be grumpy! :poke:

Tutu Carol
11-09-2007, 12:19 PM
You might need a :grphug:

BillSpace
11-09-2007, 02:10 PM
At the risk of being labeled a fellow grump: I find the little smilies very annoying, and am pleased to see a technological solution. The idea that a little cartoon icon helps you express yourself would come as a shock to Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nabokov, and my mother, all of whom managed to convey emotions and thoughts accurately and well without jumping blobs, using only the tools granted by the English language. Harumph! (That is to indicate that you are not to take my grumpiness as more than an expression of opinion. Wouldn't want to rain on the smiley parade.)

No opinion on Ravelry. Not interested myself, but others' enthusiasm for it does not pain me.

And for IronLung: There is no such thing as unduly grumpy. Curmugeonhood is a fine thing.

BillSpace
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I just checked on "disable smileys." Unfortunately, it seems to disable only the automatic generation of smileys from typographical entry; it doesn't look like I can make my view "smiley-free," the same way I can ignore certain users. Am I reading it wrong? I'd love to read these posts without the distraction of bouncing, rolling, knitting, head-scratching, hair-tearing bloobies.

cando
11-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I'd love to read these posts without the distraction of bouncing, rolling, knitting, head-scratching, hair-tearing bloobies.

Hahaha, amen to that! I don't mind the occasional smiley or two, even use a few myself since it appears people understand faster with them than with plain words. But I do find some of those overly animated ones very distracting.

kellyh57
11-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Hahaha, amen to that! I don't mind the occasional smiley or two, even use a few myself since it appears people understand faster with them than with plain words. But I do find some of those overly animated ones very distracting.

Ditto! Honestly, we get it with the first blowing kisses. We don't need a whole line or two of them! I don't even get half of them. I have to scroll over it to see what the words are anyway.

Kelly

MAmaDawn
11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
I think they are cute wish we had more... (not being sarcastic)

(Ducking as shoes fly at me ;) )

sinistral_needler
11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
At the risk of being labeled a fellow grump: I find the little smilies very annoying, and am pleased to see a technological solution. The idea that a little cartoon icon helps you express yourself would come as a shock to Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nabokov, and my mother, all of whom managed to convey emotions and thoughts accurately and well without jumping blobs, using only the tools granted by the English language. Harumph! (That is to indicate that you are not to take my grumpiness as more than an expression of opinion. Wouldn't want to rain on the smiley parade.)

Dear Bill, these smilies and otherwise undulating bloobies are necessary for some people in today's day and age of The Internet. Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nabokov and, I'm sure, your very nice mother did not have this wonderful thing. I am fully able to convey glee, frustration and the other gamut of emotions appropriately on a person-to-person basis.

:poke: :poke: :poke: I am known to be a curmudgeon myself sometimes.

Jan in CA
11-09-2007, 04:07 PM
I'll ask Sheldon about the smileys. I like them when they are used appropriately, but I agree that sometimes they get out of control to the point that you can't find the msg for the smileys. :teehee:

happyanddandy
11-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Well now I have to go find out what Ravelry is - it's new to me :)

cheley
11-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Dear Bill, these smilies and otherwise undulating bloobies are necessary for some people in today's day and age of The Internet. Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nabokov and, I'm sure, your very nice mother did not have this wonderful thing. I am fully able to convey glee, frustration and the other gamut of emotions appropriately on a person-to-person basis.

:poke: :poke: :poke: I am known to be a curmudgeon myself sometimes.:muah: :muah: :grphug: :flirt: :blooby: hope you don't mind :) wish I could find the one from DONNAS look under the thread "Big Girls" :mrgreen:

redmom37
11-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I love the smilies:muah: .

gia
11-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi, I am really new to this site...also very exciting by finding it...please please tell me I AM NOT AMONG YARN SNOBS....who decipher (wooo big word, without smiley) every context of every post... only knit with animal fiber and pretty much look down on us "newbies" I am here to have fun, learn and relax...not count every:hug: someone posts... that's the power of the internet come as you please :) oh and by the way,isn't there a blog for complaints? called OT :grphug:

Ingrid
11-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi, I am really new to this site...also very exciting by finding it...please please tell me I AM NOT AMONG YARN SNOBS....who decipher (wooo big word, without smiley) every context of every post... only knit with animal fiber and pretty much look down on us "newbies" I am here to have fun, learn and relax...not count every:hug: someone posts... that's the power of the internet come as you please :) oh and by the way,isn't there a blog for complaints? called OT :grphug:

I have to admit I'm a yarn snob, but only for myself. Anyone else can knit with whatever they want--no judgement--I've just developed very expensive taste in yarn over time, much to my credit card company's delight.

Newbies are always welcome, and knitting and chatting are fun, educational, and relaxing, with or without smilies. :cool:

DreamWeaver
11-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Putting in my personal oppinion, I really do like smileys. I think they add character, movement, and creativity to posts. See, look at this message. It looks so unimaginitive, right? Really boring. Well, maybe not to you, but it does to me. Hey, I'm a teenager. I love breaking conformality

Besides, none of us are Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nabokov, or your mother

Ironlung21
11-10-2007, 03:23 AM
And for IronLung: There is no such thing as unduly grumpy. Curmugeonhood is a fine thing.

At last a sympatico - be still my beating grumpy heart!

Alas you cant turn them off - or ignore them - and they seem to be growing in number - what on earth does poking someone in the eye with a stick convey?

redwitch
11-10-2007, 07:53 AM
The feeling you get if you don't like smilies but keep seeing them used generously? :p
A wool snob IMO is not someone who happens to like natural fibres and doesn't use synthetics, but someone who says 'please please tell me I am not among those people who use only animal fibres'. It's not about your preference, just like I don't criticise people who like pink and tell them it is hideous and they should wear blue because I like it and hate pink. It's about your attitude toward people who have different tastes in knitting or in colour choice. A snob is not someone who prefers blue (or pink). It is someone who looks down on people who don't like the same colours they do or thinks that they are objectively wrong. There are very few people who act like that on KH Gia in my time here I have seen only two or three disparaging comments and a couple more vaguely condescending about certain fibres. That's a very low incidence.

Sunny_Singer
11-10-2007, 08:33 AM
This thread was amusing to me.

No offense intended, but it is perfect proof that you can never satisfy everyone no matter how hard you try.

Overuse of emotes *the technical names for smileys* is frowned upon in most forums, chat rooms and message boards.

You only really need 1 emote to express a feeling. 1 group hug is the same thing as 10 group hugs in a row. 1 blowing kiss is the same as 10 or 15 in a row.

I agree with who ever said "if you aren't interested in a topic, don't open the thread." Why torture yourself reading about something you have no interest in?

Everyone has a right to feelings, opinions, but be ye kind to yourself - if the topic of a thread is of no interest - read another instead.

gia
11-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Redwitch...thank you for your definition of "Yarn Snob", however I think it was alot of:yadda: I didn't direct my post to anyone in specific...I was looking at General Knitting for "knitting info"...again, we have the right to freedom of speech...and the privilege of using the internet...we all can log on or off at our discretion, read what we want, write what we want and send :hug: if like...

annomalley
11-10-2007, 10:21 AM
I don't mind the smilies, but I agree that they can be overused. And yes, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, and many others could convey feeling without emoticons, but most of us are not Shakespeare, Mark Twain, or any other prolific, classic author.

I used to go on a forum a few years ago that had a smiley known as the "Big Hug", which consisted of a big yellow smiley face that had these huge rubbery arms that spread out into a hug. A bunch of us thought it was a rather creepy looking smiley. It looked like that thing was going to come out of the screen to get you like some rubbery monster out of a bad B-Movie. That particular smiley was overused the most and caused an argument between those of us who hated it and thought it was creepy and wanted it gone, and those who absolutely loved it. People on that forum tended to abuse the smileys to more of a degree than I've ever seen here.

DonnaS
11-10-2007, 10:31 AM
:muah: :muah: :grphug: :flirt: :blooby: hope you don't mind :) wish I could find the one from DONNAS look under the thread "Big Girls" :mrgreen:

Yeah.. what she said http://www.century-oak.com/emotes/booty.gif

I don't mind the smilies, but I agree that they can be overused. And yes, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, and many others could convey feeling without emoticons, but most of us are not Shakespeare, Mark Twain, or any other prolific, classic author.

I used to go on a forum a few years ago that had a smiley known as the "Big Hug", which consisted of a big yellow smiley face that had these huge rubbery arms that spread out into a hug. A bunch of us thought it was a rather creepy looking smiley. It looked like that thing was going to come out of the screen to get you like some rubbery monster out of a bad B-Movie. That particular smiley was overused the most and caused an argument between those of us who hated it and thought it was creepy and wanted it gone, and those who absolutely loved it. People on that forum tended to abuse the smileys to more of a degree than I've ever seen here.

I agree that not everyone can express themselves well online, but in reality it's very easy for simple written words to be misconstrued and heaven forbid anyone ever read emotion into a post. A post that starts out as an agreement can quickly turn into an argument without a little help from an emote to help convey feelings. Personally, I feel I express myself very well in written text.. but the "bloobies" are just way more fun :mrgreen:

And how could you not like this little guy?
http://www.century-oak.com/emotes/hugwide.gif

Firey Vixxen
11-10-2007, 10:34 AM
:poke: At last a sympatico - be still my beating grumpy heart!

Alas you cant turn them off - or ignore them - and they seem to be growing in number - what on earth does poking someone in the eye with a stick convey?

it's not poking somone in the eye. Remember when you were little, and going on a long car trip, and had been stuck in the seat next to your brother for hours...
:poke:
"FV stop annoying your brother!"
you got a reaction! LOL
FV

annomalley
11-10-2007, 10:35 AM
And how could you not like this little guy?
http://www.century-oak.com/emotes/hugwide.gif

Granted, I've not been on that forum for quite some time and haven't had to see it placed ten times in a row in every other post, so it's not really that bad. ;)

DonnaS
11-10-2007, 10:49 AM
hehe ;)

Seriously folks.. most of us have day jobs (I suppose?) where we have to be serious and professional 8 hours of the day.. personally another 2 are spent commuting in traffic that is anything but funny or cute.. Online time is time for giggles and laughs, socializing and just having fun doing something you enjoy and sharing hobbies and interests with others. People that think it should all be serious or that get irritated by emotes, bloobies, smilies, blinky things or things like need to realize this is an escape for alot of people from a day time or IRL world where things are anything but happy or cute. In other words, put on the big girl panties and cope http://www.century-oak.com/emotes/neener.gif Everyone else is! http://www.century-oak.com/emotes/hellno.gif

sheldon
11-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey everyone,

I've moved this thread to OT as it seems more appropriate there.

I checked to see if there was a way for members to disable smilies from appearing and there doesn't appear to be any way to accomplish this. If you do use an adblocker on your browser you could add the following line as a filter:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/smilies/*.gif
This should prevent any gif files from the smilies directory on this site from displaying in your browser. Use at your own risk.

Oh, and be courteous of other people views. Some people like smilies some don't. It's all good!

Thanks,

- Sheldon

Ironlung21
11-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Yikes moved to the naughty corner!

Jan in CA
11-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Okay everyone, we need to let this go now and respect everyones opinions even if they don't match our own.

Some people like smileys some don't. Let's just try not to be excessive our use of them for everyones enjoyment. :thumbsup:

GinnyG
11-10-2007, 09:49 PM
I enjoy the smilies and find their use delightful. Ravelry is fun, and while I don't spend as much time there as som I have found yarn and pattern ideas.

Grumpy people, on the other hand, ruin my day:out:

bellium
11-10-2007, 09:53 PM
i just read through this thread and thought that all views were expressed very politely and without sarcasm. i don't think that anyone has been offended by any posts in the thread, so i don't think you've necessarily been moved to "the naughty corner"...

i don't like smilies, either. they're fine for other people, and i would never begrudge someone their favorite emoticon, but i never use them myself. and i am on ravelry, i like it very much, but i have never felt the need to express my joy for ravelry by making a thread about it. so you're not alone, ironlung!

knitgal
11-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't usually use smilies- mostly because I can't find one that expresses what i want to say. I've use the rolling on the floor laughing one when I have laughed really hard at a post, and a couple of others. I never mind when other people use them, I just never seem to! (But I do use a lot of exclamation points!)

debinoz
11-11-2007, 12:56 AM
I usually use the quick reply box and can't remember any of the codes to type in except this one. ;) and I only did that by accident!
I'm on Ravelry, too, but I don't go there often because I haven't really figured it out yet.

Rae
11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
For those who are using Firefox as a web browser: you could add the 'Adblock' plugin. It does mean you have to right-click on each type of smiley once (ie once on a :), once on a :knitting: ) and select 'Adblock this image', but then it blocks all instances of that smiley wherever it appears on the forums.

Great for really large signature pics and those ticker things, too.

Howdovely
11-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm just catching up on this thread. I have no opinion on smileys, but, um, what's ravelry?

Sandi
11-13-2007, 01:14 AM
I find it rather creepy that every word I type on here is being censored and judged by those that the comments are not directed to or intended for.
As an open forum, people should have the right to speak their minds and opinion.
I'm sure that this post will get a response from those in power.
Coments like "if you don't like to read about Raverly", stay away from those threads........
People should be encouraged to voice their opinions, and not be put down for doing so.......

Sandi
11-13-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm sure I will be off to the naughty corner in no time!!!!!

Ironlung21
11-13-2007, 04:02 AM
I'm sure I will be off to the naughty corner in no time!!!!!

Sandi - I'd be more than happy to keep you company! Tee hee.

Providing of course we dont have to share our corner with people who have signed up for another corner and keep going on about how brilliant the other corner is and how long they have had to wait to get into that corner. Nor indeed people who find it difficult to express themselves without some daft pictures....

Debkcs
11-13-2007, 04:12 AM
The 'daft' pictures used to bother me. Then, on a different site, something I wrote was taken very wrong by someone, and I could understand why when I went back to reread it. So, now I use them, but a lot more sparingly then some. I think more than one or two in a post is too many. However, we do have freedom of Smilies, so we must put up with others enthusiasms, no?

KnittingNat
11-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Ironlung,
I'll try to express myself without "daft pictures" now. *Taking a deep breath*. This is first of all a knitting forum. It was meant to be about knitting. The OT forum was established rather recently after many requests from the KH community. Ravelry is also about knitting, sharing projects, patterns etc. If people who knit want to share their opinions about it on the forum, it's their full right, exactly as it is everyone's right to talk about potty training or teenagers' problems on the OT forum. I think we all are thinking people and we don't have to read about issues we find no interest in, but there are those that will find plenty of interest in that particular topic. As for the smileys issue - there are those that like it and those that don't. I think it's my right to use a smiley that i find appropriate without being judged or criticized as someone who cannot express oneself (especially having a BA in literature and linguistics). I find the smileys rather amusing and helpful sometimes. I don't think there are naughty corners in this forum and i don't think people should be classified into any of these corners and i also think that the moderators' right is to comment on threads that seem to get out of borders of general politeness. I hope my English is good enough and that i expressed my opinions in an understandable way and haven't offended anyone.

HamaLee
11-13-2007, 09:43 AM
This isn't the naughty corner, just the OT forum. I actually think Sheldon moved the thread here so that MORE people would have the opportunity to read it and participate--not fewer. It may have gotten lost in the General Knitting forum since the subject is, technically, "off-topic." The OT forum sometimes gets a lot more action than General Knitting.

I have to say, compared to other forums I've participated in, the level of censorship at KH is much much much lower. I think that there hardly is censorship here. It's extremely rare for a thread to get locked and if it does there's usually an explanation. Mods don't delete people's comments from threads willy-nilly--they tend to come in just to remind people to be civil before things devolve. That all seems pretty respectful to me.

Many other forums delete threads with no warning or explanation, delete posts for perceived or actual "attitude" or just for disagreement or ban members on a very regular basis--and with no warning or explanation. At best you'd get a "you shoulda read the posting FAQ" from these sites, and those FAQs are notoriously hard to find.

As far as smileys and emoticons go...I have to say that generally speaking, I hate them. I don't use them in texting or AIM or anything like that. But for some weird reason, I get very warm and fuzzy at KH and like to throw one in now and again. :aww:

No biggie. Yeah sometimes posts are overloaded and it's annoying--but I tend to skip those threads or posts. There's plenty of other stuff to read.

SnarfyCat
11-13-2007, 05:17 PM
I have to say, it amazes me that this thread is so long, with so much dissension in regards to.....smileys. Are you just kidding a little bit? UffDa!

Ironlung21
11-13-2007, 06:57 PM
SnarfyCat - you have made me laugh out loud and feel thoroughly silly for starting this and indeed prolonging this thread with some more choice grumpiness along the way. Now if only I could find one of those bouncy head things that was drawing a line under something.....

cookworm
11-14-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm think IronLung has a valid point. We have separate forums for charity knitting, finished objects, and patterns, all of which pertain to knitting, but have merited their own categories. One for Ravelry might not be a bad idea as there have been many posts about it.

As far as the smileys are concerned, I LOVE fine literature and wanted to be a writer as a "youngster", and yes, classic authors didn't need them. But we're not writing literature here, we're communicating on a forum, and for me, the way that I post on KH is different than if I were writing a short story...it's like I'm talking amongst my friends, and I certainly don't speak amongst friends the way that I write for an audience. So I see no harm in smileys to convey or clarify a thought or expression, and if you don't like them, you don't have to use them; they are optional for those that want to use them.

Jan in CA
11-14-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm think IronLung has a valid point. We have separate forums for charity knitting, finished objects, and patterns, all of which pertain to knitting, but have merited their own categories. One for Ravelry might not be a bad idea as there have been many posts about it.

There will be no forum for Ravelry. It's not needed. Like any new thing it will get talked about. If you don't like reading those posts don't open them. Easy as that. ;)

VictoiseC
11-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Things won are done
Joy's soul lies in the doing.

:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering: :cheering::cheering:

a little bit of Shakespeare
a little bit of smilies
never hurt anyone
except a curmudgeon

kellyh57
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
As far as all of the Ravelry posts...is there any way you can put a sticky in the general forum about it? I'm so sick of reading "What is Ravelry" after someone posts another thread on it. I think just about everyone is getting in now. Do we need all the threads here about who's in and who your friends are? Can't we leave it to the forum on Ravelry? I mean, do the people who aren't in Ravelry care? I think if we do at least one of these things, it'd help cut down some of the Ravelry congestion here!

Kelly

Jan in CA
11-14-2007, 04:41 PM
What congestion? I just checked the general forum and there are only 3 posts about it on the first page. Being a moderator here I see most of the posts and I have to tell you that posts about Ravelry are in the minority as posts go.

I really don't understand all this animosity and discontent about Ravelry. If you don't like it don't sign up and don't open the posts about it. It's pretty obvious now which ones they are so it's easy enough to do that.

Ravelry is the main place I go to now to find ideas, see what someone else has made with some yarn I have or what yarn someone has used for a specific pattern so I can see how it worked out. I love that I can do that and so do lots of other members.

Enough said, I'll keep quiet.

kellyh57
11-14-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm not complaining, just suggesting something that may help others keep from complaining. It has died down tremendously, but there for a while it was pretty busy. I'll keep quiet too...

Kelly

VictoiseC
11-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Oh shoot, I wanted to complain! Well said Jan, I thought Ravelry was a lot of hoopla about nothing until I started looking around there. I was having so much trouble with this Interweave vest and now I can talk to some of the gals who made it and I also got to see how it looked in different yarns. There's always been a few topics here that I just don't open, that's why this place works... you go to what you want and ignore the rest. And keep animosity at bay.

I was in a yarn store last night and a woman overheard someone mention Ravelry, she asked "What's Ravelry?" and none of them bothered to answer her. She kept waiting so I went over and told her. Anyhoo, happy knitting today....

Ironlung21
11-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Ahem and taking a deep breath... am not sure if you have an abbreviation for sense of humour bypass in this forum but am beginning to think it would come in very handy

Jeremy
11-16-2007, 12:52 PM
I think this thread has lived out its useful life and is now serving only to tick people off, so I'm closing it to further comment.