PDA

View Full Version : Linking pictures from internet onto a blog?

knitqueen
11-08-2007, 07:51 PM
What are the rules about posting a picture, taken from the internet, on a blog? For instance, if I wanted to put up a few photos from different knitting patterns onto a post on my blogger blog to get opinions on which one I should make, is that allowed???

Jan in CA
11-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think if you download the picture to your own computer so you're not stealing bandwidth and giving the link to the original site with credit you should be fine.

The biggest issues are bandwidth theft and taking credit for things that aren't yours. I doubt any company would mind a little free advertising if done properly. ;)

Silver
11-09-2007, 09:28 AM
If you're unsure what "bandwidth theft" is...

Bandwidth is the amount of data transferred from a web server each month. Most website hosts give customers a set amount of bandwidth with their plan, and will charge for overages. Kinda like cell phone overages, but more expensive.

So Company A is paying for their website hosting and their limited amount of bandwith. If you copy the URL of their image and paste it to your blog, everytime someone loads your blog, the picture will load from THEIR servers, and using up their bandwidth. If too many people do this, their bandwith allowance is quickly used up and they will get overage charges.

Bandwidth overage charges can rack up very quickly. That's is why Bandwidth theft is such a huge no-no.

kellyh57
11-09-2007, 03:22 PM
In addition to what Silver said, linking takes more time to load. (The server has to jump over to another server for the image and then that server has to load it back to your page.)

Plus, it bogs down the other server. Every hit slows it down. Ya know, at certain times of day, how certain websites are slower than others- too many people trying to load pages at the same time.

It also messes up stats for the website. I have someone who has a link to a picture of mine and it got a TON of hits. My husband checked out the referring link. It was some wedding website I'd never heard of. So, he checked it out...annoying! And, whenever I get my albums updated the link will change. You never know when someone's site will change and your link won't be any good.

So yeah, it's best to save your stuff and upload it to your own site! If nothing else, save it to Flickr or one of the vast number of free photo-hosting sites.

Kelly

knitqueen
11-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone! The technical stuff goes over my head, though based on what I'm reading here I don't think I've ever stolen bandwidth. Phew! :teehee:

I found a great article via Grumperina's blog:
http://www.knitblog.com/bandwidth-thief.htm

Made things quite clear...bottom line is I will save images to my own hard drive before putting them on my blog.

Thanks again!