PDA

View Full Version : ? For Experienced Moms

stacyk9
11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
We have been working with our son (2 yrs. 3 mos.) on potty-training and after different trials and errors, we finally found that sticking a couple "Trix" cereal pieces in the potty and letting him stand up and "shoot" it, really seems to work and he loves to do it. We've only been doing it for about 3 days, so I hope the novelty doesn't wear off!! My question is, at what point do I introduce the "Big Boy Underwear"? Yesterday he stayed dry pretty much all day and held it until he was able to go to the bathroom, except for maybe 2 or 3 times.

Thanks!

Jan in CA
11-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Wearing diapers prevents a child from that icky feeling of being wet or having pee run down their legs so IMO it's time to introduce the underwear now. He can learn what happens when he doesn't use the potty. Yes, it makes a mess for you to clean up and you have a lot more laundry, but in the long run it's a good thing. If you want to you can "fence off" certain areas or make them off limits to keep the mess to a limited area.

Kids grow and mature at different rates, but it sounds like your son is well on his way to no diapers! :thumbsup:

auburnchick
11-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Use the big boy pants at home and use pull-ups when you're out and about...until you can trust him a bit more. I went cold-turkey with my son, and he trained very quickly. Be prepared to spend a lot of time watching and following him around.

We gave our daughter M&M's when she was potty training. She got one for going #1, and 2 for #2. She spent a lot of time in the bathroom! ;)

Good luck!

suzeeq
11-09-2007, 02:37 PM
They used to make `training pants' with an absorbable pad in the crotch. Maybe they're still around.

ritaw
11-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I would try him without a nappy straight away. A few mishaps are bound to happen but that is how he will learn.

losnana
11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
They used to make `training pants' with an absorbable pad in the crotch. Maybe they're still around.
And IMHO these worked much better than pull ups because the kids felt wet and yucky: incentive to use the potty. With pullups they dion't feel much of anything, because it is all wicked away.
MY opinion is based on potty training my kids 34-36 years ago and watching my dd and dil train my dgds.

suzeeq
11-09-2007, 03:37 PM
My boys are 25 and 28.... Pullups don't seem be be much more than slimmer diapers and they don't let the kids feel wet.

threesmom
11-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I agree - if kids don't feel it, they don't care. If they don't care, they'll keep wearing the pull-ups. I actually let my daughter run around naked. It seems like she only remembered to go when she had nothing on. I'm starting with my son, and I'm getting ready to go into full training mode. I have to say though, in the beginning, I always long for the ease of the diapers - especially when we're out!

Good luck!

Jan in CA
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM

We used these at first, too. Something like these as I recall..
http://www.softclothbunz.com/Imse-Vimse-Training-Pants_p_96-61.html#

Pull Ups weren't around, but I'm not sure I'd use them except for when we were out. My DD taught in a preschool for years and said that the kids really didn't feel any different than when they were in diapers regardless of what the commercials on TV tell you. :teehee:

debinoz
11-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Pull-ups are a bad word around here! There is no difference between a pull-up and a diaper except the way they go on. I always used the underwear with the characters on them and used the incentive that they didn't want to get Scooby-doo wet or something like that. Worked very well.

stacyk9
11-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Thank you all very much for your great advice!!
Nathalie - M&M's sound like a good idea. They'd be more for me, though. My son doesn't like chocolate. I know, he's weird!!!
Jan- Thanks for the link. I will definitely look into those!
To all who are against the Pull-Up, thank you, thank you, thank you! I was probably going to go out and buy these this weekend. I will NOT be doing that now!!!

auburnchick
11-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I am an advocate for pull-ups for when you are running errands during the initial stages of potty training. I think you should make sure you are experiencing success at home before you put yourself through messes in a store. Let your child experience some success at home, and if he messes up there, who cares. They are also good for the nighttime. Kids do not want to go back to diapers once they have regular undie-like garments. However, pull-ups are kind of inbetween and will save you a lot of sheet-washing.

That said, I would not use them to train at home. We had thick underwear for our son. But, all it managed to do was catch the poo. However, they were perfect for home. He had a few accidents at church, with the thicker undies on. It was not pretty.

It shouldn't take too long.

dustinac
11-09-2007, 05:40 PM
I agree...I'd put him in boys undies right away and maybe let him go out and pick his first pair out...we did this with both of ours and that seemed to help...We would give change... I took a pop bottle and put it up high on a shelf in the bathroom...everytime he went he got either a penny or whatever we had on hand... he would get to put it in the bottle... and he seemed to like that as well... I agree on the pull ups they are to much like a diaper for them... :thumbsup:

Krystal
11-09-2007, 05:53 PM
we finally found that sticking a couple "Trix" cereal pieces in the potty and letting him stand up and "shoot" it, really seems to work and he loves to do it. We've only been doing it for about 3 days, so I hope the novelty doesn't wear off!!

Hehe, that is clever. I don't think it will wear off, since it works well on grown men too. :teehee: Alot of restaurants have been doing stuff like that to help limit the mess... I heard there is even a urinal you can get that has a teeny picture of a fly sitting at the bottom... they just can't resist.

The funniest one I have seen was a sports bar, that put little goalie nets in the urinal. too funny.

iwfinley
11-09-2007, 06:06 PM
I wholeheartedly agree you should NOT go the pull-up route -- I took my boys to the store and let them select their own new "big boy" underwear. A weekend is a great time to start, especially if you can keep your outings to a minimum because you could be needing a bathroom close by often. I also used a "reward" chart for my boys. They got a "plus" sign for "going" and not having an accident and a "minus" sign if they had an accident. At the end of the day if there were more "plusses" than "minuses" they got a star. Once they got ten stars they got something special -- what that should be is personal -- something your kid really likes and doesn't get often or something they've wanted for a while or a trip somewhere "fun" like the zoo or Chuck E Cheese -- just a reward for doing so well. By the time they're at 10 stars you're well on your way to being "done"!!! Good luck!

stacyk9
11-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Nathalie- I think the pull-ups when you're out and about are a good idea. Definitely don't want to have a clean-up on aisle 5!!!
Dustinac- A bottle for change, huh? This would work great right now because he loves putting his pennies in his piggy bank!!
Krystal- A goalie net? Seriously!?!?! That is too funny!!
iwfinley- I have been considering a reward chart. I like the idea of getting something, too, instead of just a star.

I didn't expect so many great ideas!! Thanks again, girls!!:muah:

gamerchik
11-10-2007, 12:16 AM
My mom used the cereal trick (except that the cereal she chose was Cheerios, lol) and said it was a snap to potty train my brother. Good luck!!! :D

auburnchick
11-10-2007, 01:52 AM
I used Cheerios for my son too. It was the only cereal I kept in the house...you know how you always carry baggies of them around with you for the kids to munch on. My son, however, really enjoyed just throwing them in the toilet. :teehee:

HeatherFeather
11-10-2007, 08:21 AM
I have 3 kids, and potty trained 4. They weren't interested until they hit close to 3 years old. Developmentally some can't handle the stress of it all. If you see behaviors popping up that aren't normal. My suggestion is to back off. My middle one was the exception. He decided 2 days after newborn baby sissy came home (he was 2.5 yrs old), was the time to be interested...I said...NO WAY.....but when it was time the second go-round, he was the easiest!!

They'll fully give you cues when they are ready. And when you wonder, will they be in diapers in Kinder??? you can be sure to say NO!!

Songbirdy
11-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I just wanted to give you a :hug: and hope it is going well!

My first born is a boy and he was very hard to train! Extremely hard. He didn't really get until he had a few issues in Junior Kindy... Then we finally had day time dryness.

Night time is a whole other situation.

My second is a girl... and she literally trained herself over 1 hour. She wanted Dora Undies... She was 19 months old.

We know now that it was because she was having constant UTI's... and so the pain was a huge 'aide' as she always knew when she had to go!

But she was dry night and day from the point that she got her undies.

So... I wish you all the best! Its hard, and you're likely going to fall in the middle of my experiences! Either way... I find that I was the one getting the most worked up about the whole thing and my child really... didn't care much either way!

Mommy22alyns
11-10-2007, 12:47 PM
When you decide to go for the big boy undies, they do still make plastic pants covers to contain the mess while you're around the house. That way you're not scrubbing the floor constantly! :thumbsup:

suzeeq
11-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I agree that waiting until they're closer to 3 is better, especially for boys. Warm weather is a good time if you can manage it, you can let them run around naked outside.

mum2caden
11-11-2007, 11:22 AM
I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if I am repeating:

My son just turned 3. He potty trained just before he hit 2 and a half. I didn't push a thing. All I did, when he started to show interest in the toilet, was to set him on it if I knew he was going. And occasionally I would put underwear on him, when we were going to be home all day and would talk to him about how mommy and daddy wore it too. I didn't make a big deal if he wet it, since obviously that will happen, but instead would say things like "oops, next time if we go to the toilet you won't get your underwear all wet".

One day he just woke up and said he didn't want a diaper. He was literally day and night trained from that point on.

When they are ready, they just are, it shouldn't be something that you need to 'work on' or that frustrates either of you. And you shouldn't need to bribe them with junk either (but that is just a personal opinion, so thake that however you want, lol)

Oh- and most definitely do not bother with pull ups and all that- they are useless, imo. Just deal with the possibility that you will have to do some clean up sometimes, bring extra clothes and a plastic bag when you go out... hehe

stacyk9
11-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I ordered some training pants and they should be in this week. I decided to go ahead and take the leap because on the evening that I wrote this question, out of the blue, my son asked for underwear! I wasn't even sure he knew what underwear was because we hadn't mentioned it to him before. I think he's seeing the other kids in daycare going potty and wearing underwear, so he wants to follow suit. We went to Wal-Mart and I let him stand in front of the underwear and after about 5 minutes, he grabbed "Cars" and "Diego" designs, threw them in the cart and said he was ready to go! I think I'm going to wait until Thanksgiving break since that will give me a few days to see if this is something I really want to start now or just hold off for a little while longer.
Thanks again for all the great advice!!!

christine
11-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I agree that my boy was the hardest to potty train. I thought I could have to go to college to change his diaper with him. But then it happend. We used trainers at first, pull ups for outings & day care, and then big boy unders. the Cherro game is awesome. Sometimes I think that I should get them back out even though he is 13. He still misses the target. Yuck.

We tried the reward thing . . . didn't work with the boy. The girl is another story. Two days over a weekend. A M&M for tinkle and a bit sized candy for "making logs"

I would also recommend a potty seat like this one. http://www.babyage.com/products/4006_the_first_years_soft_trainer_potty_seat.htm?c p=goog2537&utm_source=goog&utm_medium=Comparison&utm_campaign=2537
I had a portable fold up for outings, so their little bums didn't fall in.

I found this --http://www.visionaireproducts.com/, the Peter Potty Toddler Urinal -- last weekend at Walmart and I thought I wish I had that. Then my husband want to install a urninal is his dream bathroom.

Christine

Chel
11-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Not a mom but a former nanny and preschool teacher who's favorite age was "young 2's" so I have LOTS of potty training experience.

I would introduce the big kid undies and mark it on the calendar that on Saturday (or any other day you can be at home with him) we are going to use big kid undies. Then count down the days with fanfare. This introduces the idea in a positive light and gives them a little time to adjust to the idea. During that time I would also ask frequently if they are wet so they start realizing when they have gone. As funny as it sounds, diapers do such a good job of keeping them dry they often fail to consiously recognize going or the urge.
I think once you go to big kid undies then the undie like pull ups are fine if your child has a small bladder. Sometimes kids bladders (esp boys) don't grow as fast as the rest of their bodies which can cause night time accidents. Sometimes they are just asleep deep enough that they don't wake up. Some kids find accidents demoralizing, so I always kept it upbeat and used night time pull ups if it was a problem.

Probably more info that you needed :) but its a fun time. I always gauged what teaching tools I used to the individual kid. Sometimes it even involved waking them up at 3 am to go. (Sad but some parents would not listen to reason!)
I think you are dead on with the cereal. :) By the time it becomes boring, he will recognize his cues to go.

Have fun with it! No more diapers is great-and in no time you have have memorized the location of every public rest room in your city!