PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone vacation alone?

Mulderknitter
11-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Hey all, I have a question. I need a vacation like nobodoes business. But this year, DH can't really afford to go with me for tax/savings reasons. But I really want to go on a vacation. My question is, have any of you travelled out of the U.S. to Europe on your own? I really want to go to Italy/venice before it sinks into the sea, any advice?

vaknitter
11-10-2007, 10:44 PM
I have never travelled overseas alone, but in my single days while travelling to do residensies I did a lot of vacationing and sight seeing alone. I find that I don't enjoy it near as much without someone to share it with.
Any chance you and your DH could pool your resources to go somewhere small this year and start saving for Italy next year? The hubby and I started a savings acct specifically for vacations.

auburnchick
11-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Perhaps you have a friend or a relative who could accompany you?

Either way, go for it. If you want to go, do it!

Carrie218
11-11-2007, 12:42 AM
I started travelling alone in my mid-40s and love it. I started having fights with my BF and decided I needed to get away by myself -- now I take two vacations a year BY MYSELF. I can decide when *I* want to eat, which museums *I* want to go to, and *my* itinerary.

I heartily recommend it if you feel confident in yourself in travelling alone.

stitchwitch
11-11-2007, 09:32 AM
If you feel confident travelling alone go for it, especially if your husband is ok with it and you won't feel resentment somewhere down the road from him.
My feeling is that you only live once. My husband is the great "when we retire" guy. Well, for all I know I could be dead when he retires and I'll have missed out on some really cool things to do waiting for him. I say go for it!

KnitClickChick
11-11-2007, 09:39 AM
If you feel comfortable going alone, then do it!! It is a shame hubby can't go too, but life is amazingly short. Get all you can out of it.

Debbie
11-11-2007, 10:15 AM
My husband travels internationaly for business and sometimes I get to go "with" him. Often, I fly to and from where he is alone. Also, he is working and I do most of my sightseeing and shopping alone. I really enjoy being by myself, like Carrie said , eating, shopping and going where I want. I even like the "waiting in the hotel for him to get finished with meetings" time .... knitting, reading, room service !!! I have not been to Italy but a friend came home from there with some amazing yarn :)

cheley
11-11-2007, 09:39 PM
OMG...DO IT...Venice is the "bomb" (cept I went with DH) he knows the ins and outs (plus the language) cause he was stationed near there 20 plus years ago...NEED TO KNOW A LITTLE OF THE LANGUAGE TO GET BY..HAVE A DAILY SCHEDULE OF EVENTS AND PLAN ON WALKING ALOT (NO CARS ON THE ISLAND) But it is well worth it...Oh yea, I left from Cleveland, so air travel was about 9 hours......PS...If you decide it's not right to go alone...take me

Itsabtme
11-11-2007, 11:50 PM
ALWAYS! Never internationally, but inside the states every year. He never wants to go anywhere! That is fine with me. I would rather go alone rather than listen to him constantly complain. I'm actually getting ready to leave for WV & NC this week. I usually fly when I go, but this time I decided to drive (although with gas prices being what they are, it may have been less expensive to fly..lol). He mentioned tonight that he wished that someone was going with me....I've been doing this for 21 years. I am very confident traveling solo. I NEED this time alone to obtain some semblance of sanity...:oo:

If you are comfortable with it, then I say GO & have a GREAT TIME!:hug:

Mulderknitter
11-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice/help! I talked to my mom yesterday and she can't go with me either. I guess I will try to figure something out! Maybe a nice b&b in canada near a large city I could yarn shop in... I dunno... any ideas?:shrug:

iza
11-12-2007, 10:11 AM
:cheering: Go for it! Sometimes we need to get away, there's nothing wrong with that!

If you're looking for a B&B in Canada, you could look at the Laurentians or the Eastern Townships (both a 1-2 hour drive to Montreal, there are a few good yarn shops here), Quebec city has tons of B&Bs (I don't know about yarn shops though), I'm sure you can find many in the Niagara region (not the falls necessarily, but Niagara-on-the-Lake), in the Rockies (Banff, Lake Louise, etc.) or on the Vancouver island...

No matter where you go, be aware that the value of the US dollar is incredibly low right now, so be prepared to pay more than usual for other currencies. The Canadian dollar is higher than the US these days, which is great for Canadians going to the US, but not so much for the Americans coming here. It's probably the same with the Euro (maybe even worst).

knitasha
11-13-2007, 08:46 PM
My opinion: Venice is the best city in the world for traveling alone.
But I'm prejudiced; it's my favorite city anywhere.
I've been there alone, as part of a couple, and with family.
All things considered, I like being alone there better.
Which is different from being lonely.

No cars, of course, but you can walk from one side of the city to another in an hour. (Wear comfortable shoes.) There's something to entice the eye at every step, and one of the great pleasures is just to let yourself get lost. When your feet get tired, take a vaporetto (water bus) for the best possible tour of the Grand Canal. You can take English-speaking tours of attractions such as San Marco or you can explore at your own speed (and not feel guilty about skipping anything that doesn't interest you).

Venice is a city of neighborhoods. My favorite is Dorsoduro, near the Accademia Museum, where there are plenty of small, homey hotels (try Agli Alboretti) and cafes. If you feel uncomfortable eating alone, avoid the fancy tourist restaurants and go to neighborhood cafes, where you will be treated well. Or get a takeout sandwich and eat it at a table in Campo San Barnaba or a bench in Campo Santa Margherita.

It's a safe, pleasant city for a woman traveling by herself. Venetians (many of whom can no longer afford to live in the Central Historic District but commute from the mainland), are lovely, civilized people (or so I've found them). Ask a shopkeeper for directions and he may just point "sempre diretto" -- straight ahead. But he may also lock his front door and walk you to your destination. Learn a few key Italian phrases and you'll earn smiles just for trying (unlike some European countries where people may look down their noses if your accent isn't perfect). If you look and act like a lady, you will not be harrassed, whistled at or pinched. It's perfectly okay for a woman to go to a bacaro (wine bar) in the late afternoon for an ombra (a small glass of wine) and ciccheti (snacks that can equal a light dinner).

Dress conservatively (no shorts or funny t-shirts). Venice isn't a fashionable city but people dress well; even the college students wear pressed jeans (well, some of them). As far as I know, there's only one yarn shop in town; maybe you'll find more. Eat as much gelato as you can. It's the best ice cream around, and worth the calories.

Skip the gondola rides. They're shamefully overpriced and the gondoliers are lousy singers.

Get a copy of "Venice for Pleasure" by J.G. Links.

Let me stow away in your suitcase.....

Mulderknitter
11-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh gosh, that was a wonderful pre-tour of Venice! I so appreciate the time you took to help me, and every bit of advice is useful!:muah:

Sanibelle
11-14-2007, 11:50 AM
I was in Venice last year. We went on a cruise and Venice was the last port and we stayed for a few days. It is an amazing city... and there is a fabulous knitting store not to far from Piazza San Marco.
My MIL lives with us - she is 95 years old. She has made my DH feel so guilty about leaving her alone so he will not go on vacation any longer. I live for vacations so the last few years I have gone with my mom. This past year we went on a cruise that started in AMsterdam and ended in Rome. We had wonderful tablemates including 2 women traveling on their own. One was single and could not get anyone to go with her on the trip and the other was married and her husband and her always travelled seperately as they both love different things. They both said that taking a cruise was the easiest way to travel as a single - there was always company when you wanted someone to talk to, people to eat dinner with, ship tours if you did not want to go off on your own (one of the women only did ship tours, the other went off on her own in each port). They both had a fabulous time.
Just thought I would mention the idea of a cruise - there are lots of them that end or start in Venice. Last year we started in Rome, ended in Venice and in between we went to Monte Carlo, Florence, Naples (we went to Amalfi that day), Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Corfu, Olympia, and Kusadasi Turkey. It was amazing!

Hope this helps....

Mulderknitter
11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
A cruise sounds like just what I need right now! thanks for the tip!

iwfinley
11-14-2007, 06:18 PM
I have not travelled alone since I got married, but when I was single in my 20's travelled alone a lot. Now that I have my DH, 3 stepsons and 2 of my our sons, travelling alone sounds wonderful. It was nice to be able to do/see/eat what you want, when you want. Short trips are good, after a while you kind of want some companionship, but you also meet a lot of people travelling like that. I would go for it!!!!! Maybe try a trip in the states (NYC is GREAT during the holidays) or Canada before you venture off to Europe on your own! Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing!

Chel
11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Go! You only live once!!!
Take extra precautions, same as you would in any city alone. But enjoy it!!!!!

I hadn't taken a vacation since Daniel died and he and I took trips together. But this summer I needed a break. Bad. I decided to take an overnighter to the beach and while I admit, it was hard being without him, I decided to allow myself 5 minutes to stare out at the ocean and mourn that he wasn't be there with me. When that 5 minutes was over I took a deep breath and decided to enjoy the rest of my trip, short though it may be.

Now I treasure those few stolen hours, and wouldn't trade them for the world. Bottom line: Take the time, its worth it. Even if its different, or not what you would really choose for yourself its worth it.