PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding this pattern...

dalisn28
11-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Hello! I hope someone can explain a part of a pattern to me. This is the first time I'm trying to do anything other then a scarf or blanket and I feel like I'm from a different planet.

Pattern says...
cast on 61 stitches...

1st row: (RS) K1. *P1. K1. Rep from * to end of row.
2nd row: P1, *K1. P1. Rep from * to end of row.

That part I understand... now for what I don't...

Rep last 2 rows of (K1. P1) ribbing 3 times more, inc 0 st in center of last row. 61 sts.

Say huh?!?

So do I just repeat 1st row, then 2nd row, then 1st row again, or do I just K1. P1. for three rows? And what the heck does "inc 0 st in center of last row. 61 sts." mean???

Am I not getting something so basic that I should just give up now?

Thanks to anyone who can help this confused gal out. :??
BTW, this is a baby sweater pattern.
Cat

suzeeq
11-11-2007, 01:44 AM
You do 8 rows total of the ribbing (1 and 2, then repeat them both 3 times). For the size you're doing you don't need to make an inc; other sizes have a different number of sts and need to be increased to work with whatever stitch pattern the sweater's made in.

DorothyDot
11-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Suzeeq is right. But your "huh?" is certainly understandable!

When your pattern says to repeat # rows, that usually means that whatever number of rows were spelled out just prior to that instruction is the number of rows that you should repeat. And repeat those specific rows for however many times the pattern says to repeat them.

Note that if there is no number of times you have to repeat those rows given, the default is to just do one repeat.

Dot

dalisn28
11-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Sue and Dot... Thank you both so much!! I'm affaid I'm trying to learn to knit on my own and will be back to this website often as it's confusing to me. Thanks again!

Cat