PDA

View Full Version : Another Aran WOP

Kime
11-12-2007, 02:52 PM
This is finished now, so be sure to look at the last post if you want to see the FO.

Now I have to do an Aran for my husband for Christmas. It is the only type of sweater he likes to wear. I expect I will only have it half done, but I had to finish the one for my sister-in-law, which started out for my husband but morphed into one for her. I am tired of doing single color knitting and have been dying yarn and making swatches for a stranded cardigan for myself, but that will have to wait until after I finish my husband's sweater.

For those who have seen certain web sites where people who design their own projects and have such fantastic drawings of how they want the projects to look and say "I could never do that" here are my swatches and plan for the sweater:

http://www.geocities.com/kjjsiebert/Aran2plan.JPG

Not such fantastic drawings, I am sure all of you could do at least as well, but they give the idea. I think I will semi fit the sleeves, but not nearly as much as the last sweater since fitted sleeves aren't as important for a man, in my opinion.

Here is a picture of the sweater so far, with only the ribbing done. I am working it from the bottom up.

http://www.geocities.com/kjjsiebert/Aran2ribbing.JPG

What is that on the floor? It is a lazy Susan with a bowl on it to hold my yarn. This is my answer to twisting yarn. I just spin the lazy Susan with my foot from time to time to keep the yarn untwisted!

I am editing this because I just realized I wrote WOP instead of WIP! Next time I will get it right.

Kim

astonh
11-12-2007, 02:56 PM
WOW! You are muy talented! I can NOT wait to see this FO! Beautiful swatches and I LOVE that color of yarn. YUMMY!

Abbily
11-12-2007, 03:33 PM
I can't wait to see the finished sweater... and what a great idea with the lazy susan! :)

JudyD
11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Beautiful swatches = exceptionally beautiful sweater!

JudyD

GiddyKnitter
11-12-2007, 04:10 PM
That is going to be one lovely sweater!

Jan in CA
11-29-2007, 05:03 PM
That is going to be gorgeous! :thumbsup:

KnittingNat
11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
I agree with everyone - it's going to be fabulous!

MerigoldinWA
11-30-2007, 12:26 AM
It looks like a wonderful plan. Is that a shoulder strap (is that the right term) along the top of the shoulder? Those are really nice. Your color is very nice. It's going to be great. I like your yarn untwister too. :-)

Kime
11-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Thank you. That will be a saddle shoulder. I am currently almost up to the arms.

dustinac
11-30-2007, 10:36 AM
ohh that will be pretty... I can't wait to see it finished:happydance:

Maria2009
12-01-2007, 05:16 PM
looking great!

loveswildflowers
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I was just grumbling to myself about the twists in my yarn a few moments ago! I have a lazy susan - what a great idea! ....headed off to dig mine out! :cool:

Kime
01-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, It wasn't quite done when I gave it to him for Christmas, but it is finished now. The neckline got pulled out of alignment in this picture, but it is really OK. The green shirt under the sweater doesn't look too good either, and his hands are dirty because he just got home from work when I made him try it on!

http://www.geocities.com/kjjsiebert/Finishedsmall.JPG

I like the way the set in arms turned out. Not so much bagging at the arm hole. I knit the sleeves in place picking up stitches each time I turned.

http://www.geocities.com/kjjsiebert/Finishedarmsmall.JPG

sue in canada
01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
That looks amazing. Great work.

kristinw
01-09-2008, 10:10 PM
That looks so great! Looks like a store bought sweater.

Gertie
01-09-2008, 10:22 PM
WOW the sweater's gorgeous! :inlove:

Congrats!!

auburnchick
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Oh, that sweater is just beautiful!! Nice job!

Lighting57
01-09-2008, 11:52 PM
One of, if not the best finished garment I have seen posted on this forum. How long have you been knitting?

MerigoldinWA
01-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Your husband's sweater turned out beautifully. From the looks of the tee shirt he worn to work, he likes green. The fit of the arms is very nice. I don't understand what you did, but it worked great. Wonderful cables and texture.

Mystery_Gyrl
01-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Your husband's sweater came out wonderfully. The fit looks very comfy.

Ronda
01-10-2008, 07:04 AM
:passedout:

ritaw
01-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Wow . You did a wonderful job. :)

Slim
01-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Gorgeous sweater! You did a wonderful job. I'm sure he will treasure it.

dustinac
01-10-2008, 09:48 AM
:passedout: stunning!!

GiddyKnitter
01-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! all that work and love put into making that sweater I bet your DH is really pleased x

ladyjessica
01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
That is just amazing work. These kinds of sweaters are my favorite, and yours is just breathtaking. Great job!

Kime
01-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Thank you all for the nice comments. I have been knitting on and off since I was about 14 years old, and I am 49 now.

I used the method from Knitting from the Top by Barbara Walter with one little change. First I figured out how many stitches I wanted to have when I got to the bottom of the arm hole by multiplying the gauge by the upper arm measurment plus ease. You can also measure a sweater that fits the way you want and multiply that number by the gauge. I subtracted the live underarm stitches that I was going to pick up and the live saddle stitches I was starting with. Then I counted the places where I would pick up stitches and I had about 20 extra places per side of the arm hole. When I started knitting the sleeve I picked up about 14 stitches on each side of the saddle, then I knit back and forth picking up one or two stitches at the end of each row. When I turned I would slip the first stitch, and if I had picked up two stitches I would knit or purl the 2nd and 3rd stitch together. These were spaced evenly to eliminate the 20 extra stitches. I could have evenly skipped picking up those stitches and then I wouldn't have needed to knit two together but I was afraid it might leave small holes although since that is how Barbara Walker did it it probably would not have been a problem. When I got to the live stitches at the bottom I picked them up and worked the rest of the sleeve in the round.

http://www.geocities.com/kjjsiebert/Sleeveinprogress.JPG

One nice thing about doing a set in sleeve this way is that you can try it on as you go to see if it is turning out right, and if you need to change anything, you don't have to do everything over or frog a lot. Another nice thing is that you don't have to worry about if you are sewing a set in sleeve right. It never puckers and you can get it perfect for sure. Here is a picture of my husband trying it on when the sleeves were in progress.

http://www.geocities.com/kjjsiebert/sleevesinprogrss.JPG

dmknits
01-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow....beautiful work!!

ah
01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Wow! That is fabulous!

Jaxhil
01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
:inlove: WOW-that looks fantastic!! Great fit, great color-and how awesome that you designed it yourself! :woot::cheering::yay:

KathD
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
:muah:You inspire me!! Thanks for taking the time to share some details of your project. It's beautiful. I made an Aran sweater years ago and although I love the pattern I was never happy with the fit because it's so bulky under the arms. I think you've given the solution.:woohoo:Thanks

bethany
01-19-2008, 10:51 AM
that's fantastic!

Jaxhil
01-19-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm glad I came back to read this again-I didn't notice before that you explained how you did the top-down set in sleeves. Thanks for taking the time to do that!! I really appreciate it-that info will definitely come in handy :thumbsup:

mrsmcg
01-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I LOVE the sweater!! I have always wanted to knit something like that for my husband, but have never had the courage to even try, or to know where to begin with making a sweater.

I have been knitting for many years, but never have really ventured out much. I started out with simple - knit, purl, bind off slippers, I've done some afghans - but none very complicated. Just this year (end of 2007 really) I started trying my hand at knitting hats. I also completed my finished cable project - a poncho (I still have to figure out how to block it). I saw a hat, scarf, and mitten set in a book that I like. I was thinking about maybe making that set - it has faux cabling. The mittens terrify me though. I am planning on looking over the pattern, and starting on the scarf first. Believe it or not, I really haven't done scarves.

Colleen

Suziblues
01-22-2008, 07:16 PM
BEAUTIFUL!

Dobek1011
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Your sweater is amazing. I can't stop saying "Wow that is beautiful!" Great job :cheering: