PDA

View Full Version : OH! MAI! GAWD! to all the students out there!

knit.newbie
11-15-2007, 02:04 AM
omg!!!! I haven't been on here for ages!!!
I learnt knitting last summer through this website..and was around here for a bit..then..well..university started!!! and I had a big list of things to knit before xmas...and since university started i didnt get to even TOUCH my needles!!!! OMG!! soo busy its so frustrating!

QUESTION: to all the university students out there..how do you manage to keep up with both school and knitting?!?!

i havent been knitting for long and I'm def still a begginer...well maybe an advanced begginer? but really..it's like I found my passion!! there are only two things I love that much! knitting and programming!
I think it's really amazing how I fell in love with knitting..usually I'm the kind of girl who gets bored of everything as soon as she gets the hold of it..with an attention spam of a toddler..like..really! the kind who's walk out of the final exam early cause I got bored of it! but with knitting its just..i dunno..i have so much passion to it!!

and today I have a lil break since I had 2 midterms this week..so I deserve the night off..
and I'm looking at my very very very begginer-like stash..consisting off a couple of cheap fugly acryilic yarn..tiny lil cotton skeins and 2 mystery skeins that was passed on to me from my mom..

...and this post is pointless but I'm just sooo excited that I got around to looking around here!(even if I'm not gonna knit tonight cause I don't have any good/enough yarn!)..

love you all even though I don't know you!!:)

:knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

Rorshach
11-15-2007, 03:42 AM
heh, I would say in order to do both, you need to incorporate a little creative procrastination. Homework is all good and all, but if you don't take a little time to use your creativity, it will actually affect your schoolwork.

knit.newbie
11-15-2007, 05:03 AM
lol..my problem is..with my undiagnosed A.D.D..i do a LOT of procrastination!!doing the most random things..which causes me to waste time in a very unproductive way..which makes me feel like i cant knit/do some kindda useful procrastination cuz i wasted all my time getting disctracted by shiny stuff and now i have to study!! hehe

alllll well..xmas break is almost here..and i can knit then! even though itll be too late to knit xmas presents..but HEY! i'll be knitting! which is all that matters!

CountryKitty
11-15-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm in nursing school (graduation is in May) and I just didn't have time the first year....then month before last 3 things happened.

A classmate mentioned that after being in the gulf she had problems with stress, and the thing that helped her most was running--putting one foot down after the other, just her and the road in a nice steady rhythm that put her at peace with herself. Sorta like knitting, one stitch after the other in a nice rhythm.

Another classmate was due to have a baby early this month so of course a small baby blanket--newborn/car-seat sized--was called for.

Then I joined KH and discovered the knit alligator design at the top of the page. OK, I'm like, supercheap---and know a crotchet stitch to make the ribs and eyes and nostrils---and have 2 cute l'il gran'boys!!!!

So I've made a nice little pink and white knitted blanky (girl, 8 lb 15oz--and nicky is such a slender little thing!) and a pair of crotchety crocodile scarves for da boyz (complete with button eyes).......and have discovered along the way thatknitting is the perfect stressbuster for me! I DO have to set limits for myself: do one homework assignment, then break for TV/yarntime. but it helps to stave off burnout.

Note: KIP (knitting in public) has given me a few laughs. An instructor was blown away when he caught me in motorcycle leathers knitting in a hallway, and my English teacher not only interrupted class to hold up my croc scarf to show to everyone else---she announced that she has ways of coercing students who have things she covets!

Songbirdy
11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Try recording your notes.

Then you can listen and review your notes while knitting.

Or you can also record your lectures and listen MP3 style while you knit.

My son has ADD ish tendencies. I've found that if he can move and learn... he learns really well.

Knitting would allow you some movement and, if you can listen... you can do both!

Just a suggestion! I had my son while in Uni... and I have to say... nursing and caring for him while studying (I used Music stands to hold my texts)... That year I had a 3.75 GPA out of 4...

Miss Moosey
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I knit while I read textbooks (they lie flat so I don't need to hold them open with my feet!).

If I'm knitting something too complex to knit and read at the same time, I promise myself: ten pages from now I will knit two rows, or something of the like.

And on really bad days I knit for a few minutes to wind down before I start on my work.

I don't think that I would survive college without knitting. It keeps me relaxed/sane :knitting: .

Rebecca

auburnchick
11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't have much, if any, time to knit right now either. For a while there, I was knitting on Sundays and leaving the books alone, but the last couple have terms have been very difficult, so I've been using my Sundays to get classwork done.

I generally wait until between terms to knit. It's frustrating, but I really want to do well in my classes, so I sacrifice.

Hang in there...one more month!!!

emmaknits
11-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm a freshman in college this year, so besides trying to figure out what the heck I am supposed to be doing here, and getting into a routine, I also find it hard to find time to knit.I get up almost 2 hours before I have to be to class (thank God for 9:50 am classes!) that gives me time to get ready slowly and then have time for knitting a row or two on my prayer shawl.And if you have a favorite tv show, you can knit and watch tv at the same time.I've found that when ever I'm not doing homework,(which can seem to be most of the time!) I can knit, and even if its only 2 or 3 rows, its still progress!

Where are you going to school?What are you studying?

Jitendra
11-15-2007, 11:31 AM
if you are a freshman or even second year, probably you have some classes which are not only mind-numbingly boring, but probably easy too. Just sit at the back and knit. If your prof is dull enough you can sit at the front and knit, no one will say anything.

knitncook
11-15-2007, 12:24 PM
When I was in college (it's been a while) knitting wasn't at all the fashion. I used to knit between classes, waiting for class to begin, at lunch, and even during lectures (only those that I was tape reocrding and were in large halls with 100+ students - took several of those my fresh/soph years). I generally carried things that didn't require me looking at a pattern. I always good odd looks from people because here was this punked out chick wearing fishnet hose, black mini skirts, "Flashdance sweaters" and pumps (or boots) with spikey red hair and bright red lipstick knitting a soft white baby ensemble (for my aunt who was expecting). Man I wish I had a picture to prove to my kids how cool I was! :roflhard:

HollyP
11-15-2007, 12:48 PM
I use knitting as my study breaks. Last semester I didn't really make time to knit and I was so much more stressed. I read somewhere that the mind pretty much stops taking in info after 45 minutes. So I will study for 45 min with a timer set and knit for 15 again with the timer set. I feel alot more focused after I knit and I am doing really well in my classes this semester.

auburnchick
11-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Holly, that's a great tip!

rachejm
11-15-2007, 08:33 PM
i tend to find that i sleep so much better if i get some knitting done during the day. i think i'm a fairly tense person, I can tell when I haven't been knitting enough by how often I find myself unclenching my teeth during the day. at the moment I don't have too much on. I generally won't write a practical report up until I have the results section anyway cos I find its a good place to start so since we haven't got that far yet I'm not doing that, I handed in an essay last week and other than that it's all reading - which I have been neglecting for knitting time but as I only have two exams this side of xmas and one of them is open book I figure anything to relieve the stress from stats and awkward class members is a good way to spend my time, as long as I'm still doing some work during the day.

Next term is going to be hard, its the only way I can explain the fact that we've only had an essay, a practical report and an oral presentation to do this term.

jess_hawk
11-15-2007, 08:42 PM
I used to (in grade school) have a parentally enforced policy of "homework first, then anything else." Now, though, I have a hard time focusing on a long paper if I'm not working on something else. Knitting is just one of those "something else's".

inkaholic
11-15-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm a freshman in college too, but I commute so I probably have more time to knit. Since I don't go home between classes and I have anywhere from 2-3 hours between them, I'll sit in the library in a reading alcove and knit if I don't have reading to get done. I get some weird looks, but I don't care. One thing I do want to make it better, though, is fingerless gloves, cause my library sure is drafty. And maybe a nicer bag to hold my stuff, since right now I keep my knitting in a ziplock bag inside my shoulder bag.

DianaM
11-16-2007, 02:49 AM
I knit while I walk from my car in the parking lot to the classroom and will continue knitting in the classroom until the teacher starts lecturing.

I'll knit walking between classes. People have sort of gotten used to me walking and knitting so they get out of the way.

Then I'll knit again between the classroom and my car.

If you take the bus instead of driving, there you have more knitting time.

I knit during breaks at work.

If I happen to have the chance to watch a show or a movie at home, I'll knit while I watch.

Needless to say, all my projects are very small and not too terribly filled with fancy stitchwork, but they keep me sane (and warm).

Happy school knitting!!

starburst
11-17-2007, 08:49 PM
I knit during my lecture classes. I have a really good memory for things people say in class, so i don't really feel the need to take notes. I like to just bring a skein of yarn and circular needles so I can keep my hands busy. If I don't, I can get distracted . I won't do anything too terribly pattern intensive because then i focus more on the pattern than the lecture. People look at me like I'm crazy, but that's nothing new haha

Miley384
11-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Hey I have ADD too! It is very hard to work and extremely easy to procrastinate: believe me, been there, done that! Lol! I would reccomend working then knitting and continue alternating between the two. Or, record your notes and listen while ya knit. I always knit right after class and/or right before bed. I always have to knit cause it keeps me calm. If I am worried bout' a project, the first thing I do is grab a needle and woosh I am off! Hope this helps! The key is two balance schoolwork and knitting. P.S. I knit whil watching t.v. especially during comercials! Best wishes in knitting, schoolwork, and helping that ADD! :grphug: :muah: :heart:

knit.newbie
11-24-2007, 11:06 PM
took me ages to find some time to get on here and reply! which is bad.but on the bright side..i got lots of awesome replies!:muah: thanks everybody!!

this last week, I actually had 2 midterms..each worth 30%..a pre-lab report..and another lab report..2 quizzes..an assignment..and a milestone/presentation for a project!! all due this last week! 5 days! omg! i'm so glad it's over! I slept for 12 hours last night..then napped for a cpl more! :teehee:

Miss Moosey/HollyP: thank you! I def should start doing the 45 min thing or the 10 pages thing..not only that i'll get to knit, It'll keep me motivated to actually 'STUDY" for a while!! which is really hard for me!!!!:woohoo:

Songbirdy: I'm a lot more of a visual learner..just listening to the lecture def would not work for me..it's a lot easier to daydream/wander/get distracted when i'm only listening..
..wanted to say though..GOOD JOB getting an awesome GPA with a baby!!:-P very impressed!:thumbsup:

CountryKitty/ knitncook : hahahaha..good job changing ppl's "knitters stereotype"!!:teehee:

auburnchick: good luck!!!:wink:

emmaknits: I go to school in a lil town in ON,Canada. kindda by Toronto. and I'm studying software engineering! and being a sophomore in engineering in my skool = HUGGGEEE load!..on the other hand..I'm in love with what I'm studying!:inlove:

Jitendra: yea I'm second year..but second year engineering in the school that I go to means that i'm the poor lil thing with the crazy year.. they keep telling me it'll get easier...and I sure hope so!! plus..I already get picked on in class by the profs( in a good/fun way) cause I'm a girl in engineering..in a new university with not that much people..so we'll usually be sitting in a class with 50 ppl..4 of them girls!! haha..so no need to get more attention!! haha
I'm sure I'll have classes soon where I can do that though! thanks!

rachejm: must be nice having an easy semester! :-P good luck next semes!! :wink:

Miley384: NOT a tv person at all! don't even bother watching movies on my laptop/in the theatres...i lose my attention/get bored half way through!! :rofl:
thanks a lot!! you too!!:hug:

thanks everybody! I'm gonna go knit for a cpl of hours now..taking the rest of the night off!:woohoo: :woohoo:

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 10:42 AM
lol..my problem is..with my undiagnosed A.D.D..i do a LOT of procrastination!!doing the most random things..which causes me to waste time in a very unproductive way..which makes me feel like i cant knit/do some kindda useful procrastination cuz i wasted all my time getting disctracted by shiny stuff and now i have to study!! hehe

alllll well..xmas break is almost here..and i can knit then! even though itll be too late to knit xmas presents..but HEY! i'll be knitting! which is all that matters!

Uggh, I can totally relate to the ADD thing, or in my case, ADHD. Unfortunately, I lost my medical insurance so I can't get my medication, and I'm frantic.

However, I find I work best when I'm multitasking. When I was in college (god, I can't wait to get back), I would make my hubby talk to me while I did homework, as well as having music on in the background, because it would let me focus on two things at once, so that I wouldn't just get lost in one thing or another. (Does that make sense?)

So, my suggestion would be -- knit while you do homework. Just plop down and knit a few rows while you're reading your textbook, or knit rows in between math problems, essay questions, etc.

I'm sure that my methods don't work for everyone, but maybe they can help.

Good luck with your exams, and keep on knitting!

knit.newbie
11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
However, I find I work best when I'm multitasking. When I was in college (god, I can't wait to get back), I would make my hubby talk to me while I did homework, as well as having music on in the background, because it would let me focus on two things at once, so that I wouldn't just get lost in one thing or another. (Does that make sense?)

that's exactly what I do too!! except I don't have a hubby..so I stick to the music..or the bf or any friend if someone is around..and if there's a bunch of ppl studying around, so that I won't get someone to talk to me, and I can't play music..i have to fiddle with something..ANYTHING..
I keep telling my friends that I need a minor distraction so I can focus..and all I get is :whoosh: and 'What?!?! how does that make any sense!!'
good to know that I'm not crazy!!! :rofl:

thanks! and happy knitting!:knitting:

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
that's exactly what I do too!! except I don't have a hubby..so I stick to the music..or the bf or any friend if someone is around..and if there's a bunch of ppl studying around, so that I won't get someone to talk to me, and I can't play music..i have to fiddle with something..ANYTHING..
I keep telling my friends that I need a minor distraction so I can focus..and all I get is :whoosh: and 'What?!?! how does that make any sense!!'
good to know that I'm not crazy!!! :rofl:

thanks! and happy knitting!:knitting:

I doubt you're crazy, but if you are, then we both are, lol.

Something else I noticed is that I hate watching movies because I can't stand sitting still for prolonged periods of time -- when I took up knitting that completely changed. Now I want to watch episodes of TV shows and movies nonstop.

So, I think it's just one of those things...that just...works (^-^) Good luck!

knit.newbie
11-25-2007, 03:56 PM
I doubt you're crazy, but if you are, then we both are, lol.

Something else I noticed is that I hate watching movies because I can't stand sitting still for prolonged periods of time -- when I took up knitting that completely changed. Now I want to watch episodes of TV shows and movies nonstop.

So, I think it's just one of those things...that just...works (^-^) Good luck!
hahaha..crazy doesnt necessarily mean bad though! lol

yea..i never watch movies for the same reason..and i still can't even if im knitting..but i do watch episodes a lot if im knitting!!

yay for us!:woot: lol