PDA

View Full Version : I found out a friend has cancer

Kaydee
11-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Yesterday I got a call from my mother that a the daughter of a close family friend has cancer. It is such a shock because I pretty much spent every summer growing up with her and her twin sister, and she's only 26 years old. She went to the emergency room Tuseday after not feeling good for a few days, and they told her after doing tests that she has brain and lung cancer. She went into surgery yesterday, and I haven't gotten an update today on how she's doing yet. The doctors thing that the cancer started in her lungs (she's not a smoker though) and went to her brain. Its so hard to think how quick something like this can happen, I really can't believe it. On top of it, her twin sister has been vomiting and passing out from the stress of it. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Abbily
11-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! I will keep your friend and her family in my prayers.

iza
11-15-2007, 04:19 PM
:pout: I'm sorry to hear that Kaydee. We learned recently that my boyfriend's 20 year old nephew has bone cancer, so I know how you feel. :hug:

Jan in CA
11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Oh no, that's so sad! Keeping her in my thoughts!:hug:

Kaydee
11-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Thank you everyone.

Iza, I'm so sorry about your boyfriend's nephew. I hope he is doing well and I'm keeping him in my thoughts.

scout52
11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm a twin and that's my worse nightmare for my twin to get sick like that. i seriously just burst into tears reading your post. I'm sooo sorry for you and your friends. My twin is in taunton mass. my heart really goes out for them. I know how hard it is for the twin that is not sick. I really hope for the best for the sick twin. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: the best thing is to support BOTH twins. its going to be so hard on both of them. The sick one is going to worry about other and the other one is going to be terrified for sick one.

We just found our best friends mom has cancer. we have known her since we were 11 years old. she goes in for surgery today and our best friend is pregnant due on xmas eve.

dustinac
11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
:hug: :heart: :hug:

cindycactus
11-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Cancer is a terrible thing. Many families are going through the same thing. I lost my younger sister last year to cancer and it still hurts. Prayers to your friend and her twin sister. :hug:

CountryKitty
11-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Kaydee, iza, scout, I'm so sorry to hear the new about your dear ones. Cancer has to be one of the scariest words in the English language, no less so for the families and friends than those who have been given the diagnoses. Warm wishes headed y'alls ways and hug your dear ones tight every chance you get. In fact, hug 'em each once for me and let them know of all the well-wishing from out here in cyberland.

Arielluria
11-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Keeping them in prayer! I know from personal experience that Cancer is not a death sentence, so keep your spirits up. I pray for the Lord's healing on your friend and for His strength to carry you all through this!
:muah:

KnitClickChick
11-15-2007, 09:21 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug:
Many hugs and prayers for your friend and her family. I hope she is able to get well. Cancer is a very scary thing. My boyfriend found out a few years ago he has a pre-cancerous spot in his throat, from acid reflux. He gets tested regularly to make sure it is still "ok", I am always a nervous wreck waiting to hear the results.

Jitendra
11-15-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm so sorry for your friend; you're right, cancer just sneaks up on a person sometimes. We're not taught to expect it until we enter the major risk groups. But we tell ourselves lies; really we're ALL at major risk.

Last year a boy who was in a local band here in Ottawa and known to some of my friends went to the hospital with headaches, and found out he had a brain tumor. That could possibly be the worst thing ever, enough to make a person scared to go to the doctor for fear of what they might find out.

Knitting_Guy
11-16-2007, 01:20 AM
That's a bummer but smoking has nothing to do with it (modern myth). Either you are gentically prone to it or you aren't. I lost my favorite great aunt to it and she never smoked a day in her life.

Medical science has come a long way since then and hopefully she'll pull through ok. :hug:

Dangles
11-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Aww, Kaydee, I'm sorry to hear that. :hug: My prayers and thoughts for your friend and their family.

Kaydee
11-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks everyone for the support and kind wishes. Cancer is such a scary thing that so many people are affected by. Sometimes I can't believe how many people are affected in some part of their lives. My heart goes out to all of you and your friends and family who have had to deal with it in some way.

SnarfyCat
11-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Prayers to you!!

jjminarcik
11-16-2007, 04:17 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

Denise in Michigan
11-16-2007, 04:39 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with your friend and you!

The.Knitter
11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
:hug: My prayers also will be added to this intervention with the Higher Powers. I wish all of you who have people suffering this awful disease good and positive thoughts. Perhaps that will help, even if just a bit!

Lisa_H-Town
11-18-2007, 01:59 AM
I avoided this post when I first saw it because I have had the same experience more times than I care to count. My heart goes out to all that are touched by this...

dmknits
11-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. Sending prayers for her and her loved ones.

Kaydee
11-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks all for the support. I got an update that she came out of the brain surgery alright and was sent home on Friday. She had a mamogram because they suspected she had breast cancer but it came out clear. She is still going to have to get the lung cancer taken care of but the brain was the most crucial part. My mom went to go visit her in the hospital (I wish I could have gone but I'm 3 hours away). I guess about a year ago she had a chest x-ray because of trouble breathing and her doc saw a spot on her lung that he told her was scar tissue. The docs are now thinking that she had the cancer then and her doc didn't find it. They're in CT (at Yale hospital) but they'll be going to Sloan Kettering in NYC which apparently is a great place. Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers.

ecb
11-20-2007, 12:38 PM
A longish story
My Mother had Meningitis, and went from a 100% active woman, to someone who needed help, a lot of help. My Sibs and I and Her Sibs did most of it, but she had this ONE friend who came almost everyday sometimes. A couple weeks ago I saw her wearing a Chemo cap, and i had a Malabrigo cap I had been struggling to finish for MONTHS, no idea why. I grabbed this hat out of my bag and finished it and gave it to my mother to give her at Church. last I heard, no one has seen her in anything else since then.
I have been lookig for SOME way to repay her for her absoulte kindness, I have begun.

the other side of this is I am dealing with some scarey Cervical Cell changes. I only hope it never becomes a cancer thing, but I just got BOTH my (remaining) kids the HPV vaccine, my Oldest does not concent to it, so its her choice. The funny thing is, even with my joint pain, muscle spasms, and fear about my cervix, I am less depressed than I was last spring.

ecb