PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please

Justasia
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
I hope this is in the right forum.
My best friend knows the basic knit and purl stitches. The problem is she can't read a pattern. She was taught by another person (who can't read a pattern either), and never learned the technical stuff or the other basics like decreasing, terms etc. I've tried everything I can think of to help her but she just doesn't get it. I've given her the book I learned from, printed charts from the internet, made charts myself for her, sat down and explained them as best I could...nothing works! I'm just lost at this point. Can anyone give me some tips to help her learn to read a pattern?

mwhite
11-15-2007, 05:29 PM
One step at a time and plenty of patience. Sometimes the written word gets lost on the way to the brain and everyone gets confused at one time or another. Mary

suzeeq
11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
She needs to be shown how first. Show her increases and decs, let her practice that for a bit. Take a simple 2 row pattern, write it out without abbreviations and with extra space between the 2 rows. She may be somewhat dyslexic or like a person who can't read music, but can imitate music they hear.

Justasia
11-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Thank you. I will definitely try that.

webbfamily
11-17-2007, 04:42 PM
You could always buy Amy's video for her-- that way she can learn visually. Or point her over here so that she can watch the videos--
It worked for me! Amy is the best teacher! :cheering: :cheering: