PDA

View Full Version : advice on crocheting edge for a basic shell

strawberry
11-18-2007, 11:47 AM
I knitted a basic shell, then I single crocheted the neck edge and armhole but the edge does not lay flat. The yarn is Sublime casmere merino silk dk 50g, size 6 circular needle- my question is should I crochet another row such as double crochet and if so will that curl up too or lay flat. I did block it but didn't do any good. Should I have found a heavier yarn? I'm not a crochet person so I didn know what the results would be.

Thank you!

Boogs
11-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Sounds like you've got a case of overcrowding going on there - too many stitches crocheted will mean that your edges will not lie flat.

Pull out the crochet edging and try again with less stitches.

strawberry
11-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Thank you! I will do that. Does it matter If I would use a larger crochet hook and crochet maybe in every other stitch?
Thank you so much for your help.

Boogs
11-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Does it matter If I would use a larger crochet hook and crochet maybe in every other stitch?

Maybe try with a hook one size up from what you used last time - I think the result might well be too floppy if you used a hook too big, (unless, of course, you were aiming for that effect) ;) and every other stitch should be fine.

If you don't like it, remember, you can always pull it out and try again - something that seems much less painful to do with crochet than knitting. :mrgreen: