PDA

View Full Version : A shrug for my mom

WildMountainHoney
11-20-2007, 04:27 PM
I was going to knit a simple garter stitch rectangle-seamed-for-sleeves shrug for my mother. I'm a new knitter (first picked up needles and yarn in Sept '07, and now it's already Nov, a whole 3 months later!) and it sounded easy. I did a gauge swatch, read some "patterns" for various rectangles....then got distracted by my three kids (I'm also home schooling my 7 year old, 4.5 year old, and keeping the 1.5 year old from destroying the house). Found the yarn and needles again one day, and, without any of my notes, sat down and cast on 175 stitches. Never pausing to find the swatch I had knit, that my daughter had since claimed as a doll blanket. Never measuring. Just cast on, and started knitting garter stitch rows. 6 inches later, I thought it felt really very heavy. Sat down with tape measure and calculator........and realized I had a rectangle that was 6 inches wide, and *60*inches long. Oh no. Stared at it. Thought of the frog pond. Then started looking around again, while it sat on the needles, at more pictures of shrugs. My rough train of thought at that point: Hmmm, a lot of them are fairly short. I could leave the back this short. Didn't I see a video on a a bind-off that does some gathering? I could cast-off the middle that way, and just knit until the arms are wide enough to seam, kind of the reverse of that simple sweater I did for my son, with the split neck...yeah, that'll work! Ok, the video was for a 1 over 2 bind off. Tried it, but it wasn't gathering enough. So, I k2tog 3 times, then did the 1 over 2...ah, yes! A nice gathered line that will be the neck, yay!

I am currently still knitting the sleeves, will update when I'm finished!

Sleeves are done, and I took pic. I have since seamed them, taking to my mother tomorrow so she can try it on, see if it needs further tweaking.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2250/2051024878_ae714e1614.jpg

Jan in CA
11-20-2007, 05:49 PM
It's looking good!

Newfygirl
11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Melinda (I love that name - it's my youngest daughter's name) - you are very talented for only picking up needles in September. I can't wait to see the finished shrug. You are doing a super job!

Abbily
11-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Beautiful job, and nice way to tweak it and save yourself from frogging!

marykz
11-21-2007, 08:19 PM
great job! I bet she will love it!