PDA

View Full Version : Toy Donations?

saracidaltendencies
11-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Does anyone know of a charity that accepts old toys? I want to get rid of a lot of my kids' old toys, but, I don't want to just throw them away. However, I believe most charities only accept new toys, still in the package. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Nobones
11-23-2007, 06:14 AM
I recently donatied some old toys to my local hospitals 'Childrens ward'. They were very grateful for them, they were split between the ward and the Chrildrens clinics.

I spent a lot of time in hospital as a child and they were never that many toys.

vaknitter
11-23-2007, 10:36 AM
I work in a Children's Hosp and we accept used toys for our playroom as long as they are in good condition and washable. We are not able to accept plush toys in most cases. You can also see if a local church would like them for their playroom or donate them to Goodwill or Salvation Army and here in VA our SPCA has a rummage store to raise money for all the puppers.

marykz
11-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Salvation army often accepts old toys for resale in the thrift shops: Goodwill too. But they are not accepting toys that have been recalled due to excessive lead levels, or other recalls. If you have recalled toys- they should just go in the trash... (sadly for the environment)

HTH

mhansen
11-23-2007, 11:58 PM
You might check with your fire dept. Around the holidays our fire dept. accepts donations of toys.

saracidaltendencies
11-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Oooh, many great suggestions, thank you all, I'll definitely check into those. Have to go through and get rid of all the old stuff the kids no longer play with yet throw all over the floors, possibly for decorative purposes...haha...

Lighting57
11-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Don't forget children's homes. They would welcome clean and in good condition toys.

hainangel2000
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
If you wash up your toys we were told by our local emergency room they accept stuffed animals to give to children when they visit the emergency room. My daughter fell off of our fireplace and knocked her head good. They gave her a toy and that is when we learned about it!! :hug:

saracidaltendencies
11-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks a ton! I will definitely check into those. So many of their toys are still in great shape, they've just outgrown them and have absolutely no interest in them anymore...well, except to just drag out of their closets to make messes...lol