PDA

View Full Version : My how the mighty have fallen....

The.Knitter
11-28-2007, 10:42 PM
The DD, who is so set against my knitting that she didn't put the dress on my DGD, talked to me tonight at 7 p.m. She said that "she just knew I could 'run her up' 3 - seven foot long scarfs before Christmas.... after all, I made a hat in one night!!!"

OK, so I just got back from Michaels where I bought 9 skeins of Bernat Soft Boucle, three white (scarf #1), three dark blue (scarf #2) and three verigated greens (scarf #3) as requested, (she wanted stripes on the green scarf but I am not going there with three weeks left and my other Christmas knitting still to do).

There is just no understanding your children (adult or otherwise) sometimes, is there?

I will do my best to finish them, but if they don't get finished, she is getting wrapped up yarn under the tree and then she can leave it with me and I will finish whatever scarf did not get done.

And life (that being knitting) goes on......

Ingrid
11-28-2007, 11:52 PM
:tap:You're a bigger person than I am, that's for sure. I'd be tempted to tell her to unravel the dress and make her own scarves.
But then again, I can be that way.:teehee:

The.Knitter
11-28-2007, 11:55 PM
:tap:You're a bigger person than I am, that's for sure. I'd be tempted to tell her to unravel the dress and make her own scarves.

OMG I just love you sooo much! Actually, I thought of saying no, but it IS Christmas time.

Thanks Ingrid, you sure gave me a smile!

Skater
11-29-2007, 12:45 AM
You could tell her you want a three-foot tall Christmas tree hand-carved out of wood (by her, of course) and decorated with rhinestones by the 15th of December. That sounds about as sensitive and sensible to me.

The.Knitter
11-29-2007, 12:51 AM
You could tell her you want a three-foot tall Christmas tree hand-carved out of wood (by her, of course) and decorated with rhinestones by the 15th of December. That sounds about as sensitive and sensible to me.

What??? Just three foot? She wants 7' scarfs, why not go for a 7' tree?

Jan in CA
11-29-2007, 01:34 AM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: You all are hilarious! Now after all this work making the scarves is she doesn't like them you've got plenty of ammunition to remind her of...plus some point sticks!

The.Knitter
11-29-2007, 03:32 AM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: You all are hilarious! Now after all this work making the scarves is she doesn't like them you've got plenty of ammunition to remind her of...plus some point sticks!

Were we joking?

Seriously, she better like these scarfs, they are her specific orders I used to purchase the yarn and make the scarfs. At last she is acknowledging that I can make garments that are to be USED and not just stuck in a closet in a bag (not even out of the wrapping they came in).

We shall see what her reaction is Christmas Day (which we always hold on Boxing Day so she can visit her in-laws on the real Christmas Day....

Debkcs
11-29-2007, 04:20 AM
I've got to tell you that you are a much nicer person than your daughter deserves. I crocheted a really beautiful sweater for my mother some years ago, I mean, people stopped and asked if they could pay me to make one for them, it was that nice. She took a look at it and said,"It has that 'homemade' look" and never wore it. I've never made her anything since.

That she would ask you to make three scarves by Christmas just boggles my mind. It's as though you don't have a life of your own. You are one nice lady!

ritaw
11-29-2007, 09:35 AM
You are an absolute gem of a person . I would be upset too but if i was i asked i too would make them. I am a bit of a pushover.
I hope you finish them in time.:)

Abbily
11-29-2007, 12:39 PM

Ingrid beat me to it, but that's exactly what I would have been tempted to say too! You really are a wonderful person! Good luck whipping out the scarves, but don't burn yourself out on her requests!

Sissy
11-29-2007, 12:41 PM
I dont think I'd be knittn anything for her...but you go for it.....

GinnyG
11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I dont think I'd be knittn anything for her...but you go for it.....

I think I'm with YOU!!!!

I LOVE your siggy line.

MMario
11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
you are a much much knnder person then I. I propably would have laughed in her face - or told her to go piss up a rope; possibly offered to do them at "my standard rate - $12 per hour"

Quiara
11-29-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm just not as nice. For starters, I *hate* making scarves. They bore me to TEARS. And to whip out three of them? By Christmas? No thank you - especially not for someone who has proven so ungrateful in the past. I'd quote her a price on how much I'd charge to knit them and then point her to the local department store where she could buy some (not nearly so nice, obviously) for 1/3 the cost or less. *nodnod* I'm not very charitable when it comes to people taking my knitting for granted. ^_~

The.Knitter
11-29-2007, 04:41 PM
you are a much much knnder person then I. I propably would have laughed in her face - or told her to go piss up a rope; possibly offered to do them at "my standard rate - $12 per hour"

What?? Only $12 an hour? I think my time is worth much more than that. That's almost minimum wage... of course I have worked for her all my life for much less than minimum wage so why change now right?

:aww:

But I have to tell you this Bernat Soft Boucle works up so nicely. She did not want a thick scarf (or three) nor did she want fancy, but I snuck in a bit of change from the simple knit, knit, knit! I did 12" of garter stitch before I decided I didn't like that and frogged it. Now I am making them 3X3 rib with a 3 stitch garter stitch border on either side and on the bottom and top. The yarn for the scarfs cost me more than I was planning on spending for a gift for her, but I think she will be pleased. If she is not then *&$% her!!! (oops, that was NOT my inside voice was it?)

dawnk777
11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
You are quite nice to take on such a task! I got asked, probably about now, to make a scarf in pink, for my niece for Christmas. But, not a 7-foot scarf, since it was for a little kid, at the time. I did do stripes of pink alternating with a white yarn, with a silver shiny thread running through it. After I finished the one for my niece, I had to make one for my daughter, too! LOL! I did alternating strips of stockinette, so that it wouldn't curl up.

Jan in CA
11-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm just not as nice. For starters, I *hate* making scarves. They bore me to TEARS.

:notworthy: Seriously, I thought I was ONLY one who felt this way. It's good to know I'm not alone. ;)

The.Knitter
11-29-2007, 05:00 PM
:notworthy: Seriously, I thought I was ONLY one who felt this way. It's good to know I'm not alone. ;)

Picture that 21' later. I am gonna need you guys to keep me awake I think.

:aww:

Mazie
11-29-2007, 11:24 PM
OK, Here's my answer. Why not knit the scarves, etc. But when the day arrives, it's your gift under the tree, with your name on it? She only wanted these people to have scarves for christmas, right? I don't feel she needs to garner the thanks for your work. Why not by-pass the 'middle-man' and share the love of knitting? Heah, Credit where Credit is due. just my opinion.......

The.Knitter
11-29-2007, 11:32 PM
OK, Here's my answer. Why not knit the scarves, etc. But when the day arrives, it's your gift under the tree, with your name on it? She only wanted these people to have scarves for christmas, right? I don't feel she needs to garner the thanks for your work. Why not by-pass the 'middle-man' and share the love of knitting? Heah, Credit where Credit is due. just my opinion.......

Ummmm these scarves are for HER! She wants 7' long scarves but she could not choose which colour, so she wants all three colours. She says "she is INTO scarves right now".

Besides (her words) "she trusts me to make something she will wear". I almost laughed out loud at that one because that baby dress was sooooooooo nice and her child did not get the choice of wearing it! I guess she doesn't trust me to make things for my own grandchild.

At least I will know that my heart and soul went into her Christmas gift! That will clear my conscience.

The.Knitter
11-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Sing this song to the tune of "We've Only Just Begun" by the Carpenters...

:note:

I've only just begun, to knit
Three seven foot long scarves,
I start out knitting and change to purl
And yes I've just begun....

Before the rising sun, I'll knit
The white seven foot long scarf,
The 3x3 ribbing it goes so fast,
And yes I've just begun...

Chorus:
Scanning the bible for the perfect stitch,
Sharing my knitting with my girl,
Entering this stash into my Ravelry,
Working three knit and then three purl...

And when my bedtime comes, I'll quit
Knitting this silly scarf,
I'll put my head down and try to sleep,
Then get back up and knit!

:note:

...I'm The.Knitter not The.Quitter! Back to my scarf now.

Ingrid
11-30-2007, 12:27 AM

Honey, those of us who don't live in SoCal actually NEED lots of warm scarves!:teehee:

Jan in CA
11-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Honey, those of us who don't live in SoCal actually NEED lots of warm scarves!:teehee:

:teehee: Yeah, I know. I have made ONE scarf for me when I leave the state. :roflhard: If I need any more I'll let you know. :shifty: :lol:

samm
11-30-2007, 06:16 PM
You are too funny! Keep on knitting. I'd be knitting in my dreams with that 21 feet ahead of me. I hope you are using large needles!!!! I'd be using big fat ones with that boucle. :O) samm

The.Knitter
11-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Size US 9'S. I didn't want it to be too lacy and she insists on "plain" scarfs. I am gonna be sooooooooo freaking bored by time I am finished, not to mention pissed off because all the other WIP's I have are on hold until these scarves are finished.

The joys of motherhood... especially to a "child" that refuses to acknowledge how much work is going into those scarves!

BlueEyezz
11-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Really? 3 seven footers? That seems. . .awfully long. Tell her where to shove it. Lol. . .Just kidding. But seriously, I have no idea how to manage my time knitting yet and am afraid I won't get three scarves and a baby blanket done (two of the three scarves are 2/3 done :p). I wish you much luck the next few weeks on your projects!

Yarnlady
12-01-2007, 10:02 AM
I agree with many of the rest....If I was in a good mood I'd say, "Sorry, not this year, too busy." If I was stressed, well..... it wouldn't have been as nice. And I would certainly tell her her requests are at the bottom of the list as, "I've planned out my holiday knitting and didn't budget time for 21 feet of knitting."

Lighting57
12-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Why not double strand the yarn and it will go faster still? It should also be more soft (drapey) and fluffy feeling, wouldn't it?
Sandra from SC