PDA

View Full Version : Tins for tools

DianaM
12-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't think I'm the only one around who uses Altoid tins to carry notions in my knitting bag. I've also used the tins from York chocolate covered mints, and Hershey's truffles.
The other day at the store, I ran into M&M tins that are being sold for the holidays. They look something like the attached image down below (the image is actually of m&m bowls, but they're the same shape as the tins).

They're really handy to carry tools around and they're darn cool.

Edit: I took a couple of pictures of mine with the cellphone. The tins fit in the palm of your hand.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2415/2085104792_22744eb526.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2283/2084320759_7e1d7a373c.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2303/2084320823_9b4f1551d9.jpg

Knitting_Guy
12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Cute and a darned good idea. I never thought of using those tins.

The.Knitter
12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Really good idea! Thanks so much for posting this. I am on my way out to the store to see if I can find an M&M tin...

Knitting_Guy
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Really good idea! Thanks so much for posting this. I am on my way out to the store to see if I can find an M&M tin...

Yeah I wish I'd seen this thread before I rode over to the grocery.

jess_hawk
12-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh, wow duh!!! My mom always used to keep bobby pins for me in an altoids tin (I was a dancer... I hate bobby pins) so I can't believe I didn't think of that!!! Thanks!

feministmama
12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
ya gotta eat all the m&ms out of it before you can use it to hold yer stuff. Oh well.........

DianaM
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
ya gotta eat all the m&ms out of it before you can use it to hold yer stuff. Oh well.........

My boyfriend got a lot of the candy hehehehehehe

lelvsdgs
12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
This is a great idea! I'll be looking for these when I hit the store! You can never have too many containers for notions.

kellyh57
12-03-2007, 08:04 PM
You can always wait until the day after Christmas and get them cheaper! Of course, who doesn't need an excuse to buy candy NOW though! :) We have a ton of those as we are M&M addicts and collect M&M stuff.

Kelly

jess_hawk
12-03-2007, 08:35 PM
So I had to go to Wal Mart anyway and was tempted by a variety of tins... I never realized how many choices are out there. I almost got a M&M's tin (actually plan to next time I'm out there, I have a budget of $20/wk so had to limit myself) but instead got York Mints and Spearmint Gum. The York Mints tin will be perfect for my stitch markers and the Gum tin is exactly the right size for my needle sizer!

I also got a tin of peppermint hot cocoa, which is the perfect size for, uh, peppermint hot cocoa...

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I had already purchased one of the M&M tins and already have it in my knitting bag of supplies/tools. :D

debinoz
12-03-2007, 10:00 PM
You can also stick a piece of that sticky magnet strip to the bottom to keep needles and pins from escaping.

knitncook
12-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I've been using little mint and chocolate tins for things like this for years! My mom used to do it as well, so it was just natural. I thought everyone did this! :) I usually include a tin of something (mints, gum, candy) in my swaps with a note that the tins are for use in holding stitch markers and other little things once it is empty. I'm always looking for decorative little tins and boxes that I can use in all my little projects. My favorite tin is an old Whitman's sampler tin that came with four little chocolates. I've had it for ages and still use it. Currently it is in my overnight case with q-tips in it.

The.Knitter
12-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Well, I tried but could not find an M&M tin. I will go to Walmart and try to get on there. I never thought of Walmart! They usually have all that sort of thing.

DianaM
12-04-2007, 12:02 AM
I got my M&M tins at Toys R Us, but I've seen them at Walgreens too.
Since I started using tins for notions, I'm always on the lookout for new tins and since some of my classmates have noticed that I use them, they've given me a couple when they're out of candy.

Another thing I do with them is use them for specific storage: safety pins, pins, buttongs, etc. I keep them in my main craft storage: The Knitting Tackle Box

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/480537624_02e35e8266.jpg

The.Knitter
12-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Very nice and organized. Wow, I am impressed!

DianaM
12-04-2007, 12:17 AM
I have nosy cats......O_O
They chew stuff.

And I live in a small apartment :P
Glad you liked it ^_^

BinkyKat
12-04-2007, 12:41 AM
I love to scan the candy aisle for clever containers. I have an Ice-Breakers "Restore" mints tin with a hinged end I plan to use for something for my bag. Sucrets tins were coveted if mom and dad EVER got cough drops. I loved stuff like this when I was a kid. The trial/travel section of drug stores and Target/Walmart etc have neat notions too. Qtips come in a plastic flip side box in a travel size and cotton rounds for makeup come in a round snap-shut box :thumbsup:

jess_hawk
12-04-2007, 01:38 AM
One interesting thing to note - be careful taking these things on planes, especially larger tins. Coming home from Japan (pre-9/11, so security wasn't as paranoid as they now are), I had a classmate (he was a 7th grader) have his bags completely searched because he was bringing home a metal canister of candy in his carry on. They thought it was a bomb. They'll let you on the plane with them as far as I know, but who needs the extra step of being searched if you wouldn't have been "randomly" selected anyway... or if you aren't an idiot who forgets a calculator in the bottom of her bag, like I did last time I flew.

Debbie
12-04-2007, 03:22 AM
I never buy gum or mints without making sure the tin is the right size for knitting "stuff". I have also used polymer clay to decorate the lid ... just put it on and bake tin and all.
Susan Bates makes a plastic crochet hook that you can cut down short enough to fit in a tin, just sand the cut edge. Also, they now have these little "shaver" sort of things for your eyebrows ... I would be eyebrowless if I tried to use it for that .... but .... the blade part is only about 1/2 inch, has a cover, and you can cut the handle short enough ... sand the rough part ... and you have a small yarn cutter. That fits everything I need into an altoid gum tin except a needle sizer .. I haven't discovered a mini needle sizer yet, but I do have a 2-1/2 inch piece of cloth tape measure in my tin.

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-04-2007, 05:38 AM
I got a storage shipment last year.. (it had been in storage in the states since 1991) and in the shipment .. I found a METAL BAND-AID box.. remember them? I put my band-aids from the paper box in the metal band-aid tin. :happydance: I was quite happy.

I have always saved neat little boxes, tins/etc. to use for other uses.

I have my point protectors in a mini-tea tin that I got for a gift (only one tin has survived) in the late 80's... it's an Asian Tea
name: Ch'a Ching Chinese Tea.. I love it.. it is white w/ a teapot on the front.http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2391/2085605255_deff628705.jpgThe altoids tin is used to store t-pins for blocking.

GiddyKnitter
12-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Any excuse to buy M & M's !!!

SherKnit
12-04-2007, 09:22 AM
I got my M&M tins at Toys R Us, but I've seen them at Walgreens too.
Since I started using tins for notions, I'm always on the lookout for new tins and since some of my classmates have noticed that I use them, they've given me a couple when they're out of candy.

Another thing I do with them is use them for specific storage: safety pins, pins, buttongs, etc. I keep them in my main craft storage: The Knitting Tackle Box

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/480537624_02e35e8266.jpg

HOLY CRAP!

1) talk about organized
2) i need more stuff! :wink:
:woohoo: