PDA

View Full Version : Tis' The Season...

Karrying Kolor
12-04-2007, 08:34 PM
For waiting in line to mail those handmade goodies so, we might as well...

KNIT!

Post Office “knit ins” start this week

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2007photos/07_1203s1.jpg
Knitting is enjoying a surge in popularity among the young and not-as-young. Celebrities like Julia Roberts and Sarah Jessica Parker are avid knitters. There’s an active knitting blog community, and yarn stores are a staple on the social scene.
The Postal Service is also keeping up with the times.
In the time it takes to download a tune or video on an iPod, customers — and postal employees — can print shipping labels, design personalized holiday greeting cards and make custom stamps, all from the convenience of their home, office or favorite internet café.
To mark the timeless value of knitting and “Today’s Mail,” Post Offices nationwide will open their doors this week for “knit ins.” In addition to knitting demonstrations, knitted items made or collected from events can be donated and mailed to local charities, shelters and hospitals.
“Mailing a knitted gift is easy with one-size-fits-all flat-rate boxes, the ultimate gift box for sending warm greetings over the holidays,” said Anita Bizzotto, USPS chief marketing officer. “If it fits, it ships.”
Earlier this year, the Postal Service issued its Holiday Knits stamps. The postage features classic winter imagery and was inspired by traditional Norwegian sweaters and knitted Christmas stockings.
Go to www.usps.com (http://www.usps.com) for a list of knitting events.

knitncook
12-05-2007, 10:25 AM
That is so cool. Too bad they aren't having one in my area!

Knitting_Guy
12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
No knit in for my local post office either. There is one going on today in Tampa but no way I'd travel over there for it.

Nice idea though.

mommydearest
12-05-2007, 11:38 AM
That is so cool... There is one an hour south of me and one 2 hrs north tonight 5-7 but I can't go. DS has swimming practice and DD is sick. I'll still be knitting during that same time so will that count? LOL.

Actually, I'm making 7x9" squares for "Warm Up America" and will be mailing them when I get a few more done. So far I've only completed one crocheted square. Need to get them done, although I don't think there is a deadline - just ongoing.

Mary