PDA

View Full Version : Caron Simply Soft

BlueEyezz
12-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Am I the only one that gets frustrated with this yarn?? The only one that can't stand it?? ARGH! The first time I used it, the ply seemed to like separating a lot, but I just thought that since it was because it was my very first project. However, I bought a skein today to do a neckwarmer and have been frustrated out of my mind. Once again, issues with the plys separating and getting all tangle as I go.

I just ranted to rant and see if others have had problems, because I'm considering NOT buying this ever again.

:verysad:

Mulderknitter
12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
:pout: I am sorry that you have had a bad experience. I tend to love the $#@ out of Caron simply soft. It does split, but most yarns do sometimes, but generally if I use a big enough needle (us 10+) im ok. Maybe try to email the manufacturer and you may get a replacement skein?

BlueEyezz
12-04-2007, 09:48 PM
:pout: I am sorry that you have had a bad experience. I tend to love the $#@ out of Caron simply soft. It does split, but most yarns do sometimes, but generally if I use a big enough needle (us 10+) im ok. Maybe try to email the manufacturer and you may get a replacement skein?

Lol, maybe I'm just bad at knitting still. Ha ha...

julier803
12-04-2007, 10:14 PM
I did a feather/fan lace scarf with the Caron Simply soft and really enjoyed working with it. I'm still a beginner, so maybe I'm used to splitting yarns, but I don't remember it giving me any real hassle. Hope it gets better for you! :)

Knitting_Guy
12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
It's one of my favorite less expensive yarns.

BlueEyezz
12-04-2007, 10:17 PM
I did a feather/fan lace scarf with the Caron Simply soft and really enjoyed working with it. I'm still a beginner, so maybe I'm used to splitting yarns, but I don't remember it giving me any real hassle. Hope it gets better for you! :)

Yeah, I'm still kind of a beginner, only been doing this for a few months. But have already branched out to some more expensive brands. I really love the way the Simply Soft feels, so maybe I'll just keep trucking on it.

It seems I'm the only one who's had some frustration so I won't give up on it just yet, I guess, but seriously -- if anyone, even ONE person has a complaint, I'll feel a lot better. Lol. . . :)

ChrissyB
12-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Maybe its the way you are holding the yarn, or if you turn your work the opposite way of the plies at the end of each row. I am not sure if that made sense. I have not had trouble with Simply soft, but I find some plied yarns do tend to unravel on me for above said reasons. Good Luck.

BlueEyezz
12-04-2007, 10:32 PM
It must be the way I'm holding the yarn. . .I'll keep an eye out on my technique.

bip
12-04-2007, 10:36 PM
It is definitely my favorite bargain yarn. The only issue I've had is that not all colors are equally soft. I have a skein of black that is not as soft as usual, and some of the navy blue I've used were very soft and some were much less soft.

yarnrainbow
12-04-2007, 10:50 PM
...but seriously -- if anyone, even ONE person has a complaint, I'll feel a lot better. Lol. . . :)

OK, here's your "one person". Yep, you're right...it splits like crazy on me too. And it frequently causes me to slow down my knitting to try and prevent the splitting. :wall: As a matter of fact, I'm making a cap for my brother with it right now (just put it down to make this post) and I feel like it has taken me FOREVER just to finish the ribbing because I keep having to tink at least 10 stitches every row due to splitting when I go too fast. :frog:

Now, having said that, I still really like it! It 1) is sooooo soft, 2) as Mason said, is "less expensive", 3) has a pretty good color selection and 4) can be purchased conveniently at the big box stores and online.

So, just Crossed Fingers, :pray: , and keep trying. I've made some beautiful scarves and baby blankets with this stuff. It really is worth it!

DianaM
12-04-2007, 10:51 PM
I wuv it ^_^

suzeeq
12-04-2007, 11:33 PM
It splits a bit for me, but I like it anyway. I think using larger size needles and pointy ones help. It's like that because it's loosely spun, but that's what makes it soft too. So there's a trade off between splitty and soft that you have to come to terms with.

BlueEyezz
12-05-2007, 12:16 AM
OK, here's your "one person". Yep, you're right...it splits like crazy on me too. And it frequently causes me to slow down my knitting to try and prevent the splitting. :wall: As a matter of fact, I'm making a cap for my brother with it right now (just put it down to make this post) and I feel like it has taken me FOREVER just to finish the ribbing because I keep having to tink at least 10 stitches every row due to splitting when I go too fast. :frog:

Yay someone else who has to slow down and gets a little frustrated. I feel better. I think I probably over-reacted originally as the project I am working on right now was just giving me a headache.

It is so soft and is nearly as soft as the alpaca stuff I just made a scarf out of. You give me hope that if I keep on going with it, I'll be happy I did. :)

alleusion
12-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I won't knit with it. I find that it splits way too much for my sanity. I prefer to not fling my knitting across the room, as my children have not yet learned to duck properly. I will however, crochet with it. I find it makes very nice baby booties....but knit...no way.

suzeeq
12-05-2007, 12:27 AM
That's odd, I'd think it would split more with a crochet hook than knitting needle....

Quiara
12-05-2007, 02:03 AM
It doesn't split at all for me. Weird. If I have to use acrylic (of which I'm typically not a fan to begin with - feels like knitting with greasy plastic), I'd rather use SS. My one complaint is that it pills like mad. Seriously.

GiddyKnitter
12-05-2007, 08:04 AM
I have used Simply Soft too.My friend from Kansas sent over a few skeins for me to knit some little slippers. I must admit I really liked it and would use it again definately x

Knitting_Guy
12-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Perhaps the splitty-ness (just made up a word :mrgreen:) has to do with the needles being used? I use Options which have very sharp points and haven't had that problem.

mhansen
12-05-2007, 09:37 AM
The only issue I've had is that not all colors are equally soft. I have a skein of black that is not as soft as usual, and some of the navy blue I've used were very soft and some were much less soft.

I've noticed this too. I bought black and it is not as as soft. I just thought it was me. But anyway I like Simply Soft. I've never had a big problem with splittiness.

knitncook
12-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I find that if I have to frog or unknit that it becomes more splitty. I'm working on a hat right now and having that issue. First time through isn't so bad, but any manipulation of the yarn and it splits. It does it more also when you have to sk2p and that slipped stitch will split a bit when you pass it over the k2. It seems to stretch back to the ply with a bit of manipulation though

GiddyKnitter
12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Mason
I love the word splittiness sounds great!

GennyLynn1962
12-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes! CSS does split. I do get flustered when I'm knitting with it, but I like the finished project. I don't have a LYS, so it's one of the few softer yarns I have available.

debinoz
12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I only have problems with it splitting if I drop and wind the yarn around my fingers a lot. You can usually see the yarn starting to twist around itself. I just spin my project (or skein if it's too big) around until it isn't as twisted anymore and it works better.
I think it does work better for crocheting. I don't have to wind/unwind it around my fingers as much so it doesn't untwist/unply itself.

lostchyld
12-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I dislike working with SS, but the things I have made turned out lovely enough that I'll probably use it again. I use fairly dull needles and haven't had a problem with splitting. Worked a shawl on size 10 needles, pics in the Shawlalong thread, and the pecan pie beret from the last knitty on size 3 needles. I double stranded the main color for the beret and still didn't have trouble with splitting. I think I'm a relatively slow knitter, though, which may make a difference.

Knitting_Guy
12-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Now that I have been thinking about it, I think the first time I used SS I was thinking that it did seem splitty to me at first but once I got used to the yarn it was nice to work with.

inkaholic
12-06-2007, 10:13 AM
I didn't really realize that it was splitty cause it was one of the first yarns I ever worked with, but looking back I think it is a bit more splitty than other worsted weight I've worked with. Red Heart is less splitty but it just feels gross to me, I prefer the Caron anyway. And I've used Plymouth Encore, which is a lot less splitty, but not as soft though it doesn't hurt my fingers like Red Heart (I haven't washed it yet, though, and I've heard it washes up nice.) Caron One Pound is not as soft as CSS, but it's less splitty.
That's basically all of my adventures with cheaper worsted weights, hope it helps.

psquidy
12-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I love that stuff, it's my favourite. When i was a beginner i remember feeling that way about a lot of different yarns but i think it was more a problem with my tension.

Doublereeder2
12-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I just started another Mr. Greenjeans with CSS Shadows. I like it better than the regular CSS (so far) and the colorway is really nice.

Knitting_Guy
12-07-2007, 05:28 PM
I just started another Mr. Greenjeans with CSS Shadows. I like it better than the regular CSS (so far) and the colorway is really nice.

I'm quite fond of the Shadows myself.

gatorjade
12-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I love Simply Soft, but I didn't in the beginning! It does split frequently (which got on my nerves at first), but the more I work with it, the less I have these problems. I wouldn't boycott it completely; just use it for little projects and see if it gets any easier for you to use. If it does, then you'll be able to appreciate how soft & inexpensive it is as well as how great the colors are.

kittymom
12-07-2007, 11:27 PM
I too have noticed it, but probably wouldn't have noticed it near as much except:
I bought some Homespun about a yr.ago and was taken by it. So frustrated, I decided to get over that, and my fingers learned how to knit with it
double strand, a huge afghan.

So now the Caron SS doesn't bug me near as much, my fingers kind of know how to handle it.
Boy ohhhhhhhhhhhh that SS is SO soft and loverly :)

PS if you wet two fingers together a lil, then stroke the yarn you will be knitting just before it hits the needle, that does help :)

suzeeq
12-08-2007, 12:19 AM
I've just started seeing the SS Heathers in the store (walmart) and the colors are really pretty. I just have to figure out what to make....

boo1
12-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Of course, since I started knitting, I hardly ever want to crochet!

:knitting: (but more slowly than the cartoon knitter!)

Quiara
12-08-2007, 07:06 AM
I have a literal TON of CSS in Autumn Red. It just so happens that that's my 6 year old nephew's (current) favorite color. It's what I've been teaching him to knit with. CSS and sometimes he uses aluminum needles, sometimes bamboo and sometimes resin. So far he hasn't had any problem with it. *shrug*

raederle
12-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Okay, I don't know the right way to say this, so if you get confused, I apologize.
I've found that if I pull yarn from the center of the skein, the twist is wrong, and when I'm casting on and wrapping yarn it goes the wrong way, untwisting the yarn, which makes the plies separate and leads to more splitting.
So using the wrong end of yarn leads to split yarn for me, so I just have to remember not to do that.

Maybe this helps?

emily

cgd
12-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I both knit and crochet with it, and it does tend to split. However, for the price and wide availability it's a bargain--it's really soft and great to work with since I'm allergic to wool. The people for whom I've made hats love the feel of it. But bottom line, if you can't deal with it, find other yarn--there's so much out there. I tried and tried to work with LB Homespun and can't do it, it's not for me. Others love it. Who knows why? Vive la difference.

Jan in CA
12-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I recently made two baby sweaters with it and I love it. It's so soft and comes in such pretty colors. I haven't noticed too much splitting, but :shrug: