PDA

View Full Version : Citrus Trees

Yarnlady
12-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I have a grapefruit and lemon tree in my backyard. (We moved here Sep, 2006.) Is there a specific way to know if the fruit is ripe? It's cooled off quite a bit here and the lemons have all turned bright yellow.... The grapefruit look ripe.... :shrug:

stitchwitch
12-05-2007, 09:25 AM
If the fruit is yellow, smells like citrus and is a firmish/soft then it's ripe. Of course, you can always just pick one and cut it open too. I used to tell mainly by feeling it.

Knitting_Guy
12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Yep, mostly by feel. It sounds like they're ripe to me. Cut one open and taste it.

Yarnlady
12-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for confirming what I thought....I'll think of you all as I enjoy my lemonade and fresh grapefruit! :teehee:

stitchwitch
12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for confirming what I thought....I'll think of you all as I enjoy my lemonade and fresh grapefruit! :teehee:
I don't have citrus at my house now, we have too much shade but I've had Meyer Lemons and Navel Oranges and Grapefruit in the past. At my old house there was a guy who had lemon trees and he would put out a bucket of lemons each year with "free" on it. A neighbor and I would go grab as many lemons as we could handle and make goodies with them and then share them with his family. I miss that guy, all I have now is a bumper crop of acorns, bleh!