PDA

View Full Version : I Just Scared Myself

Knitting_Guy
12-05-2007, 07:54 PM
I was sitting here in my recliner watching the idiot box and knitting a Palindrome scarf for a friend. I suddenly realized that I had been knitting and had reached the end of the row and hadn't been looking at my knitting but rather looking at the tv.

As I always pay attention to my knitting I kinda freaked out, sure I must have totally messed up the row. I carefully checked it over and found that I had in fact knit the whole row without looking at it and hadn't made any mistakes. Whew!

I got really, really lucky as I can't knit without looking at what I am doing.

Ingrid
12-05-2007, 08:11 PM

Aaah! But you just proved that that isn't true!

Newfygirl
12-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I think you just proved you are a more acomplished knitter that you thought you were! Way to go!!!!!

brendajos
12-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Aaah! But you just proved that that isn't true!

lol i was thinking the same thing. that is clearly not true that you can't knit without looking! ;-)

Knitting_Guy
12-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Nah, just a lucky Irishman. :rofl:

Mulderknitter
12-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I can only knit and purl in rows without looking, and I still drop a stitch or 2. Good job:knitting:

Knitting_Guy
12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I can only knit and purl in rows without looking, and I still drop a stitch or 2. Good job:knitting:

I couldn't even do that intentionally. Trust me, I just got lucky.

Mulderknitter
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Luck, schmuck. You rock the knitting world. just admit it:knitting:

ecb
12-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Let me guess, You have one of those automatic Rigs, with flywheel transmission, and a Road reader so you do not even have to stear (Direct connected to the GPS, to read hthe signs for you)
or do you know how to drive without looking at the gearbox, and you know the signs by color and shape, and you know how the rig is gonna turn and shift with each raise of grade or turn of the road (you KNOW it handles differently than a Civic)

You have just reached the point where your body, hands, Wrists, fingers know how to make the needles move on a bit of auto pilot. You have been doing this more than you think
I like to work on some knitting projects while watching a Class I M subbing for, FREAKS the kids out, that are not paying attention, then I NAIL them for interupting their neighbors work.
am i MEAN or what??

but knitting by feel, by Wrote, by autopilot is a natural step in our evolution. (am i being literary again??)

ecb

auburnchick
12-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Sounds like you've turned the corner from being a newbie to a semi-pro! Congrats! You've got me beat! :cheering:

yarnrainbow
12-05-2007, 10:59 PM
...I can't knit without looking at what I am doing.

Um...(saying this a gently as I can so as to not further scare you)...yes you can. :wink:

Songbirdy
12-05-2007, 10:59 PM
That's pretty neat...

Oh... just think, it might happen again! :lol:

Knitting_Guy
12-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Sounds like you've turned the corner from being a newbie to a semi-pro! Congrats! You've got me beat! :cheering:

Nah, I'm still very much a newbie. But thanks.

Ingrid
12-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Luck, schmuck. You rock the knitting world. just admit it:knitting:

OooOoooooh! Mulderknitter called you a schmuck! I'm tellin'!!!!

:teehee:

Knitting_Guy
12-05-2007, 11:40 PM

:rofl:

auburnchick
12-05-2007, 11:48 PM

:roflhard:

Dangles
12-06-2007, 01:09 AM
:cheering: way to go, Mason. I've yet to journey that path.

Jan in CA
12-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Excellent! It makes it easier to watch TV when you can do a little w/o looking.. a whole row? Awesome! :yay:

Silver
12-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Just a matter of time before you'll be knitting in your sleep. :teehee:

And on a side note, I just want to say... Great choice on your scarf pattern! How many Palindromes is this for you now? :)

dustinac
12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
:thumbsup: That's Great!! Now you can enjoy more of the "idiot's box" :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
12-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Just a matter of time before you'll be knitting in your sleep. :teehee:

And on a side note, I just want to say... Great choice on your scarf pattern! How many Palindromes is this for you now? :)

:rofl:

One Palindrome hat and have two scarves going at the moment. I am wondering if I'll ever finish the black one for myself. Every time I get to working on it a project for someone else comes up. I'm doing a greyish one for a friend in VA. I do like that pattern. Thanks Kristin.

gingerbread
12-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Congrats knitting without looking more than I can do :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
12-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Congrats knitting without looking more than I can do :thumbsup:

Thanks, is more than I can do too. I just tried it on purpose and couldn't pull it off :rofl:

sinistral_needler
12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't believe in luck. You are just good and know the pattern. Just because you are a beginner doesn't mean you suck.

Abbily
12-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks, is more than I can do too. I just tried it on purpose and couldn't pull it off :rofl:

Mason, there are a lot of things that my 'muscle memory' can do, that I can't do if I pay attention. :) I don't think I can even dial my phone number if I think about it too much, it's like my fingers know what to do but my brain has forgotten. :)

Great job! :)

jess_hawk
12-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Mason, there are a lot of things that my 'muscle memory' can do, that I can't do if I pay attention. :) I don't think I can even dial my phone number if I think about it too much, it's like my fingers know what to do but my brain has forgotten. :)

Great job! :)
DITTO! Actually, a couple of times I have gone to dial a friend's number, or even my own number, and thought about it, and suddenly couldn't remember the number. Trust your hands... they know what to do.
Congratulations on your improving muscle memory.
Its funny, my parents always insist that when I am doing anything while watching TV, the light MUST be on, and OK, that's a good idea if I am sewing or reading, but once I reached a certain point in knitting? Totally unneccessary (except when double knitting with two colors of the same yarn... different yarns I can feel which is which). They kept getting mad at me until one day I finally looked up at my mom, continued knitting, and explained to her exactly WHY I didn't need the light. She still didn't get it, but my dad nearly fainted ("How can you DO that!?"). My mom is a secretary, I finally convinced her by asking her to close her eyes and type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" on an invisible keyboard. Its what she does when she's bored, instead of just tapping her fingers like a normal person.
Knitting without looking - and without thinking - is like a million other tasks. Do you look at your fingers when you type? If you play an instrument, what happens if you look at your hands instead of the notes (I play flute, so this is nearly impossible anyway)? Can you walk through your house with the lights off? Have you ever started to drive somewhere new, which starts out the same as going somewhere familiar, and ended up 3/4 of the way to the familiar place before you realize you're going the wrong place? Heck, can you walk and chew gum at the same time? Your body just learns what its supposed to do.