PDA

View Full Version : When do you need a cable longer than 24 inches?

boo1
12-06-2007, 12:24 AM
I think I read that Magic Loop uses a long cable (32?) but just in general, when do you know, if the pattern doesn't specify, if 24 inches is long enough? When is it too long?

Thanks in advance!!!

Knitting_Guy
12-06-2007, 12:26 AM
It just depends on how many stitches you need to work with. You couldn't do a sweater in the round on a 24" cable.

Magic Loop is easier on a longer cable as it doesn't put as much pressure on the cable/needle joints.

Ingrid
12-06-2007, 12:44 AM
I've done sweaters on 24", but 29" is usually better. You need 16" for hats and collars. I like 24" for knitting flat or doing two circs, as well.

Knitting_Guy
12-06-2007, 12:46 AM
I've done sweaters on 24", but 29" is usually better. You need 16" for hats and collars. I like 24" for knitting flat or doing two circs, as well.

Wow, that was either a small sweater or some seriously bunched stitches :rofl:

inkaholic
12-06-2007, 12:53 AM
I have a question that's probably sort of dumb, but I always thought that when you said 16" circulars, you meant that the cable itself was 16". Do you measure the needles also when determining the length? I have a few circulars of indeterminate origin lying around, and though I can use a needle gauge to find out their mm, I was wondering how I find out what cable length they're considered.

Jan in CA
12-06-2007, 01:08 AM
You measure circulars from needle tip to needle tip. ;)

I use 24's for two circ projects like socks and some sweaters, 16's for hats, , but I prefer 32 or 40 for magic loop.

boo1
12-06-2007, 07:26 AM
I don't need anything longer than 24. And 16 for hats. Got it.

:)

knitncook
12-06-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't need anything longer than 24. And 16 for hats. Got it.

:)
Probably not. Although now we are all going to challenge you to learn Magic Loop and knit a sweater! :wink:

HollyP
12-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Although now we are all going to challenge you to learn Magic Loop and knit a sweater! :wink::teehee: You know you want to!! All the cool kids are doing it :teehee:

Ingrid
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Wow, that was either a small sweater or some seriously bunched stitches :rofl:

You can fit a lot of stitches when you're using Shetland wool--it's fingering weight.:thumbsup:

Plus, when you're as sleek as I am. . . . .

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Knitting_Guy
12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
You can fit a lot of stitches when you're using Shetland wool--it's fingering weight.:thumbsup:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:notworthy:

:rofl:

Kime
12-06-2007, 09:42 PM

If you are talking about Shetland wool, I think you must mean ...when you're as steek as I am....

Ingrid
12-06-2007, 10:08 PM
If you are talking about Shetland wool, I think you must mean ...when you're as steek as I am....

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::thumbsup:

Jan in CA
12-07-2007, 02:17 AM
:roflhard::roflhard:

boo1
12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
:teehee: You know you want to!! All the cool kids are doing it :teehee:

Proud to be a geek....... :mrgreen:

snowbear
12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I used a longer cable when I was making an afghan for my daughters king size bed. I had 2 30" cables joined for that one!

boo1
12-08-2007, 12:39 AM
I used a longer cable when I was making an afghan for my daughters king size bed. I had 2 30" cables joined for that one!

I have to know....how long did it take to knit a king afghan?

cheesiesmom
12-08-2007, 01:27 PM

You must be one strong lady! Years ago my grandmother crocheted a double bedspread out of crochet cotton and no one could lift. (not to mention wash it!)

snowbear
12-08-2007, 10:59 PM
It fits a king size bed. I made it all in squares, then sewed them all together, and knitted the edging. Believe me, it is warm, I used 2 strands of DK throughout. It has survived 2 grandchildren, my daughter, & her Marine husband. It is beautiful, but, only adults can move it, lol.

I made the squares at work, approx 9" square. 3 different types of squares, then, I usually did one square a day, sometimes more on weekends, The sewing up took longer than anything, all those freaking ends... and remember I used 2 strands.. lol I was afraid it wouldn't be warm enough.

All together about 3 weeks start to finish. Believe me, I was tired of afghans for ahile.

ecb
12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I use 24's for two circ projects like socks and some sweaters, 16's for hats, , but I prefer 32 or 40 for magic loop.
I must be a whimp, i cannot get a 16" to make enough slack to do a finished hat
and I do the 2 @ once ML for my sleeves on my sweaters, then the decreases are equal, NEVER gonna hapen otherwise
I dont really use any shorter than 24" except to start a hat, and I use my 40" or bigger for sleeves
ecb

suzeeq
12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
A 16" would be pretty short to finish up the top of a hat. I do the whole hat on 24" and that's long enough to do a single loop magic loop, both for the beginning and the end of it.

photolady
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Probably not. Although now we are all going to challenge you to learn Magic Loop and knit a sweater! :wink:

What's magic loop?

photolady
12-09-2007, 10:36 PM
A 16" would be pretty short to finish up the top of a hat. I do the whole hat on 24" and that's long enough to do a single loop magic loop, both for the beginning and the end of it.

I tried knitting a hat on a 16" cable, with size 8 needles, casting on 80 sts., and I couldn't stretch the stitches to reach all the way around.
Should I have used a 12 inch cable?

And, for afghans, are they knitted on circulars?

suzeeq
12-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Afghans are knitted flat, not in a tube. The circular is so you can get more stitches on the needle and it won't be so heavy.

Magic loop is a technique that allows you to use a longer circ to knit a small diameter. See the video here http://knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques under Small diameter knitting.

Lisa R.
12-09-2007, 11:17 PM
What's magic loop?

Check out the video on this site for a good explanation. I'm not one of the "cool kids" yet. I tried it for a couple of minutes when I saw the video, but didn't quite get the hang of it---and haven't had time or reason to try it again. It's in the back of my mind to check out again in the future.