PDA

View Full Version : Been Away Awhile--Back Now Working on Sweater

cgd
12-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey, guys/gals, I'm glad to be back knitting after an absence. My DH and I moved house several weeks ago. I was working on crocheted afghans for Christmas presents when my DH and DS both requested knitted caps. So who am I to refuse my two favorite guys?
I got those done, and I'm trying to knit a sweater. This is something I haven't been able to do yet but want to do and will consider myself a real knitter (whatever that means) if I can do.
Glad to be back:)

Knitting_Guy
12-08-2007, 02:33 PM
:thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing pics.

Miley384
12-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Welcome back! Good luck on that sweater!

cgd
12-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!
My concerns are (1) that I'll mess up knitting the front, back, or and/or sleeves in general; (2) that I'll knit each piece successfully but not do the finishing correctly; and (3) that the front and back won't match up. I don't have any feel for garment construction--missed my mother's sewing gene. The patterns just say to knit so many inches then shape the shoulders. Any pointers?

Knitting_Guy
12-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Knit more, worry less?

:teehee:

Indygirl
12-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Knit more, worry less?

:teehee:
Easy for you to say Knitting_Guy :teehee: . I have had the same problem. I just finished my first adult sweater last week. I gave it to my D.D. I'll get a pic of it soon. I also was worried all the way through. It took me a very long time to complete it.

cgd
12-08-2007, 04:03 PM
I'd love to be zen and worry less, but I need to give this some forethought so I don't spend a lot of time on something, only to have it fail in the end. I don't know what I'm doing at this point, so I inevitably come here to seek help from the veteran knitters!

One dumb question: how do you know that the sleeves will fit into the armholes? Wouldn't you have to match it stitch for stitch? The patterns say to cast on a specific number of stitches, but the armholes are just x number of inches. Does this just normally work out?

I need the stuff that the pattern doesn't tell specifically since they all assume that the knitter actually knows things, which I don't! :??

Knitting_Guy
12-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Don't mind my facetious remarks, I just like to toss in a chuckle here and there. :mrgreen:

One dumb question: how do you know that the sleeves will fit into the armholes? Wouldn't you have to match it stitch for stitch? The patterns say to cast on a specific number of stitches, but the armholes are just x number of inches. Does this just normally work out?

Not a dumb question at all, and one I have also been wondering about. I have been going over patterns trying to decide on one for my first sweater attempt and this one puzzles me as well.

cgd
12-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I did get a chuckle out of it! Good to know that I'm not alone in wondering this.

BTW I read your knitting blog and enjoyed it. My brother used to be a long-haul trucker, so I respect how hard a living that is to make. Glad you're showing the world that guys knit too! I'm a bit against the grain too--I'm a blonde female civil engineer (85-90% male profession).