PDA

View Full Version : Hiding your stash?

Maddison
12-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I read someone else saying they hid their stash from the hubby. I am NOT the only one? Honestly, I have a bin hiding in the guest room closet, a bin in the basement and a tiny tin in my son's room. I also have started a cabinet in the TV stand. And, sometimes I have a drawer full in my office desk (he will never come here so he'll NEVER KNOW!!!). I guess I need to either start knitting this stuff up or start hiding stuff better :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
12-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I hide it from myself. Every time I get to looking for a certain yarn that I know I bought I have a really tough time finding it.

knitgal
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't really hide it per se...I sort of just don't put it out there. This got me in trouble once when my mom came over. I pulled out a plastic bin of yarn and the DBF said "what the he** is that!?" I guess he didn't know the extent of my addiction...silly him!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
i have a king size bed... if you look under it.. there are bins with yarn sorted by color :)

feministmama
12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I have all my yarn i my clost in my bedroom. I do sneak yarn into the house. I make sure no one's home or I put it in another bag so no one will know :roll:

Arielluria
12-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I am soon getting to the point of needing to hide it ;).......and I've thought of a great place........the dog bed. :roflhard: It's one of those huge round ones, and I figure it would make great stuffing..........provided, of course, it were properly encased in something to keep the doggie smell out of it...........unless it's yarn made OF dog hair.....then, I hear it wouldn't matter.
:teehee:

Arielluria
12-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I hide it from myself. Every time I get to looking for a certain yarn that I know I bought I have a really tough time finding it.LOL. I don't have to TRY to make myself forget, I'd forget my head if it weren't attached!
:flirt:

Knitting_Guy
12-10-2007, 07:00 PM
LOL. I don't have to TRY to make myself forget, I'd forget my head if it weren't attached!
:flirt:

Trust me, it isn't on purpose :rofl:

Jax3303
12-10-2007, 07:02 PM
DH knows I have a stash, and he knows where one bin is. He knows nothing about the bags hiding in the laundry room, or the bag in the trunk of my car that I bought today. My Dh has selective knowledge of my stash.

knitpurlgurl
12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I can't even possible hide my yarn. My 3 yr old gets into every mini stash I have. I have boxes, bags, baskets, and cabinets full of yarn. My husband has finally agreed that I need built in yarn storage in my craft room. He is going to build built in yarn cubbies like my LYS has. I can't wait!! :)

Doozy
12-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I have a few bags strwen in the closet in my apartment. My boyfriend will ask when I got a certain yarn and I'll say, "Oh this? I've had this for AGES...";)

stitchwitch
12-10-2007, 07:30 PM
My husband knows what I have, not because he cares but because he buys it all for me! :teehee:

Mulderknitter
12-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I can't even possible hide my yarn. My 3 yr old gets into every mini stash I have. I have boxes, bags, baskets, and cabinets full of yarn. My husband has finally agreed that I need built in yarn storage in my craft room. He is going to build built in yarn cubbies like my LYS has. I can't wait!! :)
You are so lucky! Not that I am not lucky, I am, I have a 3 bedroom house and the 2nd bedroom with a walkin closet is my craft room. TV, desk w/ sewing stuff, bookshelves, futon, and the walkin is ginourmous. :yay: The only thing I am really missing is cable tv up there and I would never leave.:clink:
But I am envious of the hubby making you yarn shelves. I just envisioned them lining all four walls of my room and nearly drooled.:roflhard:

alleusion
12-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't have to hide my stash...DH knows exactly where it is and is quite happy with it's location. My stash is currently about 3000 miles away from me locked away in huge rubbermaid containers in storage. I've got one bin of it here with me, and I'm not allowed to buy more until I finish some of the things I have on needles.

dustinac
12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
:teehee:I have a dh who knows where my yarn is but he just doesn't look in there very often... he did see it all spread out a few months ago when I decided to take over a closet in the computer room...he was shocked by what all I had then but didn't mind...I don't sneek anything in either...for some reason it just doesn't bother him...when I collected Boyds that was a different story (had to sneek them in lol) but yarn he encourages me :happydance:

GinnyG
12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
My Dh has selective knowledge of my stash.
Mine too. He is always commenting on the amount of yarn i have, if only he KNEW:whoosh:

debinoz
12-10-2007, 09:21 PM
My Dh doesn't care how much yarn I have as long as the bills are paid and the kids are fed.

mrs_faller
12-11-2007, 12:15 AM
this is too funny, i hide my fabric stash from my husband, well, not so much hide, just put it away in the closet so he doesn't see how much damage i did. i also never buy a bulk of fabric in one store, i'll split up the purchases so that they appear smaller. hey, whatever works. :teehee:

saracidaltendencies
12-11-2007, 03:05 AM
I don't hide mine, but, I don't have to...hubby doesn't really pay any attention, he just knows I have a LOT of yarn...lol...I could add 5 more large tupperware bins and he'd never notice...hahaha

SabrinaJL
12-11-2007, 03:24 AM
I don't hide it, but when we moved a year ago and I was digging it out from all over (didn't have a specific place to put it), he was quite surprised at the amount of yarn I had. To be perfectly honest, so was I. He actually encourages me in my yarn buying. That way he doesn't feel so bad about all the money he spends on DVD's, comics and video games.

Debkcs
12-11-2007, 03:38 AM
Mine never complains, and if he did I'd probably say something like, "OK, Mr. fifteen bins of military war games, ten bins of never built military models (mostly tanks), Mr.Four Hundred Books on the Civil War,plus another three hundred history books, why are you complaining?" I could get that out faster than you can read it. However, he's very sweet, and doesn't complain. He did look a little startled today when I told him that I have a new hobby. I've gotten really interested in beading lately. Hope to get to it soon, right now, I'm just 'reading up' on it.

The.Knitter
12-11-2007, 04:13 AM
I don't hide yarn from my DH. He does not mind me having a stash. He even went out a few weeks ago and got me a cabinet to put my stash in. He is my enabler!

DQ
12-11-2007, 06:04 AM
I don't have to hide mine. I very rarely have the money to buy any yarn so when I do I share my excitement with him :woot: He tries to understand, bless him! :teehee: :heart:

starburst
12-11-2007, 06:25 AM
See--here in lies the beauty of a dorm room:

1. My parents don't visit often, so I don't have to hide my "little splurges"
2. If I do lose my yarn, as Mason does, I have a room the size of a anchovie tin to search, greatly improving my odds of finding what has been lost.

well, except for that time that I did my laundry only to return to the dryer and find an entire ball of fuscia yarn inside a pocket of my sweatshirt. Thank god it wasn't a feltable yarn. You know what, I don't think it would have been bad if it were feltable because then I would have been able to play "Spot who used the machine after me!" "No lint...no lint...no lint...FUSCIA FUZZ! ding ding ding, we have a winner!"

starburst
12-11-2007, 07:05 AM
well, that anchovie tin-sized room sure isn't helping me right now. i just looked and realized that I am missing 1 of my size 7 dpns and 3/4 of my size 8 dpns.

Good thing Joanns is having that sale right now...

CountryKitty
12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
i have a king size bed... if you look under it.. there are bins with yarn sorted by color :)

Ditto! (DH has a bad back so he'll never bend down to look under there....and his glasses stay on his desk, so if he drops the remote behind the bed while fumbling with it half asleep he'll grope around til he gets the remote back--never sees a thing!:happydance:

chie96
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I just started knitting in Sept. and it is actually scary how large my stash is! I have about eight plastic grocery bags all filled with yarn. I don't know how this happened :shrug: Anyhow, DH doesn't have any idea how much I have, but I am not hiding it. He is very happy that I have found something that I enjoy so much and is very supportive of my "habit" :heart:

Mulderknitter
12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
It is nice to read about all of our DH's being supportive. :muah:

hocns
12-11-2007, 04:11 PM
I have 2 rooms full of yarn and fabric, plus works in progress around the house. None of us have a problem. In a quilting magazine once, I read about a woman who rented a storage space for her fabric, and she also kept a chair and lamp there as well. Every so often she would go there to sit with her fabric. Now SHE has a problem.

Jan in CA
12-11-2007, 04:14 PM
I wish I had enough yarn to worry about hiding. :shrug: DH does know what yarn I do have and he is okay with it. Sometimes he tells me I should buy more if I want it.

ETA: I just mentioned this thread to DH and he didn't understand why anyone would have to hide it. He said you need the proper tools for a hobby. I told him that if he's basing that comment on my meager stash then he has NO idea how much yarn some people have and that rather than use what they have for a project they buy new. He said there are woodworkers like that..they hoard and then when the want to make something they just buy new wood. At least he understands.:teehee:

Plantgoddess+
12-11-2007, 04:17 PM
My hubby is also an enabler. He has acquird most of my yarn and needles for me. He gets more nervous about all the finished products that sometimes pile up around here. Fortunately I have 3 sisters and a couple of nieces and we are all relatively close in size. Also have several good friends that I enjoy all my outdoor activities with. We all need a steady supply of gloves, mittens and headbands.

sparkei49
12-11-2007, 04:23 PM
I just bought $108.00 worth of yarn on sale for $23.00 at Hobby Lobby this weekend. When I bragged to my husband about it, his only comment was "Well, as long as you use it all." He doesn't know about the mounds I have in the walk in attic!!!!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-11-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't hide it, but when we moved a year ago and I was digging it out from all over (didn't have a specific place to put it), he was quite surprised at the amount of yarn I had. To be perfectly honest, so was I. He actually encourages me in my yarn buying. That way he doesn't feel so bad about all the money he spends on DVD's, comics and video games.

my dh is the same way Sabrina.... he TELLS ME and will DRIVE ME to the LYS's in my area, Saratoga, Albany, etc...

why?

Because when he wants a computer game/dvd/collectible action figure i tell him to go ahead.

I finally got my closet organized and had all my yarn in it in bins... i tell him "i don't need anymore yarn, i have too much as it is (i get overwhelmed fairly easily.. part of my anxiety disorder i've been dealing with)" but he won't listen... I showed him, got the "GEEZ honey!" and told him "your doing".

I've been working through my stash and giving a lot of the arcryllic (it's what she likes... whichever) to a friend that makes a lot of afghans for project linus.

Doozy
12-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Check out THIS stash:
http://www.mochimochiland.com/blogimages/bonneystash1.jpg
Now that is an addiction...and a thing of beauty!:inlove:

Jan in CA
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
That's not a stash, that's a freaking yarn shop! :zombie:

annomalley
12-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't hide my stash from my DH. He knows all about my habit. We have an "understanding". :teehee:

annomalley
12-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Check out THIS stash:
http://www.mochimochiland.com/blogimages/bonneystash1.jpg
Now that is an addiction...and a thing of beauty!:inlove:

:thud:

Quiara
12-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Nobody knows the Stash™. ^_^ It's ... um... yeah. I have an office and a bedroom and there's yarn in my car and my trunk and there's yarn in my brother's attic and there's yarn in storage and there's yarn in my "emergency bag" ... Bins, bags, boxes, you name it.

No, I don't have a problem. Why do you ask?? ^_^

ChrissyB
12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't have much of a stash, and I don't hide it, per se, hubby just doesn't notice it :teehee: But, the other night I showed him this http://mochimochiland.com/weblog/?p=111
He didn't think it was actually someones house :roflhard: I know someone else posted the first picture, but you only get the feel for the enormity of the stash when you see ALL the pictures :passedout:

starburst
12-11-2007, 11:06 PM
oh man....I don't know what even to say about all that yarn...

I don't think it's even physically possible to use all of that yarn in a lifetime

BinkyKat
12-11-2007, 11:34 PM
I can't hid it any more. It's all over the house. That said, new yarn goes virtually unnoticed:teehee: I actually think it keeps the heating bills down in winter.