PDA

View Full Version : Magic Loop, or socks on 2 circs?

ChrissyB
12-10-2007, 10:05 PM
I am wondering what everyone prefers for sock knitting. I have done several pairs on DPN's. I don't mind working with dpn's, but hate the laddering I get between stitches, and I pull the yarn TIGHT, and still get ladders. My LYS is having a magic loop sock class in febuary I am thinking of taking. I just did a hat in magic loop and didn't really care for it, maybe socks are better? Any pros/cons, suggestions, opinions? Thanks bunches!

Knitting_Guy
12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I prefer ML

bip
12-10-2007, 10:49 PM
If you've already made a hat ML, you won't need the socks class. Between having done them on DPNs and having done ML for a hat, you will easily get what to do.

I choose based on which needles I have free at the moment!

PCam
12-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Two circulars are my favorite. I like ML too, but finishing two socks at once sure gets rid of 2nd sock blues, and I don't get the laddering. I prefer ML for things knit in ones.

pcam

Jan in CA
12-11-2007, 12:37 AM
I like two circs best.

As you can see it's simply personal preference. You might want to try both and see which you prefer.

G J
12-11-2007, 07:35 AM
I LOVE doing two socks toe-up, magic loop. Thanks, Silver!

Mirl56
12-11-2007, 07:54 AM
I like 2 socks at once on 2 cirs.

I just haven't taken the time to learn ML yet. Some day.....

Silver
12-11-2007, 08:04 AM
mmmm socks.

(I like one sock on 2 circs best, myself.)

janettle
12-11-2007, 10:01 AM
I've tried both Magic Loop and 2 circulars. I prefer 2 circulars. To me, the difference is that the cables stay flatter with 2 circs, and the progression of what-to-do-next seems more intuitive. 2 circs is certainly worth a try if you've never done it.

ChrissyB
12-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone! LYS is also offering 2 socks at once ML, but you can't sign up unless you take ML one at a time first, bummer. Anyone have a ling for how to do socks ML or on 2 circs? I get the knitting around part, but not sure what to do once you get to the heel flap. I know silver has the toe up instructions, but I don't like doing socks toe up. I never finished the ones I started that way because I disliked how the heel came out. Anyway, thanks again. :muah:

janettle
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
For Cuff-Down 2 Socks on 2 Circulars, here's a link to some good instructions:

http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm

I actually used the book Knitting Circles Around Socks: Knit Two at a Time on Circular Needles by Antje Gillingham ($16.47 at Amazon) for my first 2-at-a-time socks, which were also my first socks of any kind ever. Her instructions are very clear and there are lots of great photos of what she's doing. My only caveat is that, on page 33, her instructions for "The Shaped Toe" are very hard to understand. For that small section, I used the link above to "Sherons 2 Socks on 2 Circulars Class" to figure out the toe decreases.

You may be able to use Sherons class to do the whole project, but if you get stuck, the book is great for the photos, the exceptionally clear step-by-step instructions, and her version of the Kitchener stitch.

kitkat
12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Magic loop. Two socks, on separate magic loop. Otherwise I get too tangly if I do two socks on one loop.
I just "taught" myself and it totally rocks, not to mention get rid of the ladders.