PDA

View Full Version : Left-handed knitters?

Doozy
12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know of some good resources for left-handed knitters like myself? I LOVE the tutorials on knittinghelp, but I have to face my laptop to a mirror for it to make sense to me!:think:

I have a few books with left-handed instructions, but does anyone know of some online ones?:knitting:

Kime
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Usually left handed people can knit the same way as right handed people, either with continental or English style, whatever feels best to you. If by left handed knitting you mean mirror image, then you will have to translate instructions if you use patterns. It may not be any harder to learn to knit the same way as right handed people, because learning to knit makes most people feel like they have two left, or right in your case, hands anyway.

Jan in CA
12-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I only know of one left hander who actually knits left handed. Most of them just learn to do it right handed. I did find this link so maybe it'll help you if you need to actually knit left handed.
http://learn-to-knit.com/

Doozy
12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I can knit regular things like stockinette, knit, purl, and all of that, but when I am watching the videos on knittinghelp for things like knitting in the round, they have a tendency to say "right hand" and "left hand" a lot, which is understandable, but it's just hard to concentrate on them when I am trying to use my left hand as the lead. This gets really difficult when the camera for the video is angled as if their head is the camera and so the angle looks straight down onto the knitting as the person would see it. I can understand when someone is mirroring me, but to watch any videos on it makes me confused!

Doozy
12-12-2007, 02:30 PM
I only know of one left hander who actually knits left handed. Most of them just learn to do it right handed. I did find this link so maybe it'll help you if you need to actually knit left handed.

Thanks for the link!

I would try and knit right-handed, but I really can't do anything right-handed. I would get more use out of having two left hands! I do everything left-handed, and I can't even play baseball because I can't throw with my right hand, and I can't catch with it either! agh!

suzeeq
12-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Knitting uses both hands, just in different ways, so there's no adavantage to right handed knitters. Are you holding the yarn in your left and throwing, or doing it continental style? If you knit continental you can easily learn knitting clockwise in the round or from right to left if knitting flat. If you throw lefthanded, that complicates it.

Doozy
12-12-2007, 03:07 PM
I think I am doing it continental style. I can do basic stitches, but I have ordered a variety of circular needles so that I can branch out and start doing socks and mittens. When I get an instruction book on any basic instruction though, it just seems that a lot of them instruct specifically for right-handed people, and don't take the time to put in left-handed instructions, which then forces me to go back through the books I buy and scratch out every "right hand" and write in "left hand" just so I get a good sense of what I should be doing.

It's also not as easy as just knitting right-handed, because that would be like me asking any right-handed knitter to start casting on to the right needle and then start the knitting with their left hand--not easy, and it's just as hard for me to attempt to cast on to my left needle...even thninking about it gives me a headache! It's not that I can adapt instructions for knitting, but some sort of a site that has left-handed instructions would be nice to see!

Also, if anyone else out there knits left-handed, I've found that the Vogue Guide to Knitting has both left-handed and right-handed instructions, which is a real bonus when branching out into patterns in knitting!

brendajos
12-12-2007, 03:18 PM
This may not work but have you tried muting the sound and just watch the videos? there are plenty of videos that are silent so maybe that would help?

Doozy
12-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Haha, you know, that might be a good idea for videos when they are mentioning the hands used! Excellent call on that!!!

Plantgoddess+
12-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I am very left handed and I crochet left handed, but when I taught myself to knit I learned right handed. I knit English and so I am working both hands equally at different tasks. I think in the long run it would be easier to try to knit right handed so you don't have to change patterns to match.
I find patterns confusing to read until I actually have the needles in my hands and am working the stitches as called for in the pattern. If I had to reverse instructions I might get too frustrated to make all the changes in advance and I get too many brain farts to try and make the changes as I go along.

Quiara
12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Yes!! In fact, I know one who's writing a BOOK for lefties! http://leftoutknitter.com/

Her name is Diane and she's a DOLL. She has a blog at knitmentia.blogspot.com

You can e-mail her questions and talk to her anytime. She'll do her best to help. She's amazing.

Doozy
12-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Yes!! In fact, I know one who's writing a BOOK for lefties! http://leftoutknitter.com/

You can e-mail her questions and talk to her anytime. She'll do her best to help. She's amazing.

Oh really?! Amazing, thanks so much for the info, that's awesome!!!:woohoo:

Quiara
12-13-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm ambidextrous and i've learned to knit both ways. There IS a difference between right handed and left-handed knitting. There's a huge difference. And it's so worth it to find the method that works best for you. Best of luck!

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-13-2007, 08:46 AM
I realize that you might be VERY LEFT handed.. but, oh honey.. I so wish you could have learned to knit 'right handed'.. when you first start out it is clumbsy for everyone.. and both hands are working together.

I have taught several left-handed people how to knit- I don't even tell them that there is ANOTHER WAY.. You have to use both hands anyway--
And, they have all learned how w/out any problems. Both hands have to work together as partners anyway.. and it's as someone mentioned- it's awkward at best when you first start out.

I mostly taught them how 'right-handed' simply for the frustrations that you are experiencing.. I just can't even imagine flipping everything around in your brain and by hand movements/etc. It would be so limiting and frustrating at times.
Good luck to you... though..

Do you just not want to try to learn 'right handed?' To make it easier in the future?

By the way a couple of years ago- I had a broken right wrist that was in a cast for over 3 months.. and when it was finally well- I found out that I also had torn tendons in my right hand- so, I couldn't use my right hand at all (not even to type w/) for about 8 months..
AND.. about 7 years ago-- I severed 3 nerves and 2 tendons in my right hand and HAD NO USE of my RIGHT hand for over a year.. it was a year 'before' I could send the signal from my brain to my hand to press a key on the computer-- now, I couldn't type..I could just send the signal and a 'finger responded'.. and it was OVER a year and a half before I could 'sort of use' my right hand.. and over 2 years before I could do something like 'knit' .. etc.

SO, I speak from experience of someone who was one hand 'strongly dominated' who was forced DUE TO SERIOUS injuries to have to rely 'immediately' on my non-dominate hand for two different long term injuries. And, I know that it is difficult to learn to use another hand- but, trust me.. what happened to me was quite difficult- because I could ONLY USE ONE HAND.. the other hand or fingers were unable to work or help out in anyway.
And, for the 'severed nerve' injury.. there was no guarantee that I would even get use of my right hand again.. but, I did everything that I could to get the hand strong again.. and of course the 'nerve regeneration' was totally out of my control anyway.
SO, you see.. my long message is to show you.. IT CAN BE DONE.. if you wish it strong enough. Good luck to you!!

nstssj
12-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Like Plantgoddess, I too am very left-handed. I came to knitting from crochet, which I do left-handed, and found knitting English style the most comfortable way to knit. My husband once asked which I liked better, and I said that knitting was nice because there's no "handedness" involved, and so it's much easier to follow the patterns. Give English a try, and hang in there!Crossed Fingers

Doozy
12-13-2007, 07:12 PM
I think I will try to do some swatches in the English style. For the most part I am pretty used to having to watch any instructional videos in the mirror, and it actually makes sense to me!

I watched a video last night from someone who was showing how to do the purl stitch the left-handed way and I was seriously shocked to find out that I haven't been purling correctly! I don't even know what I would call what I am doing, it's like I am knitting backwards or something, which is really odd because I am currently knitting a ribbed scarf, and it's coming out ribbed, but maybe it's just a knit-reverse-knit scarf! So odd!

I think the trouble I might have with knitting in English style is that my left-hand wants to do all of the detailed work when I am doing something. My left hand wants to be the needle that is working, and I find that I end up kind of just resting the right needle on my hip or holding it kind of in my armpit!

It is sad that I was taught left-handed because my fashion studies teacher in high school was right handed and could have just taught me right handed knitting. Le sigh...:doh:

suzeeq
12-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Well actually a purl stitch is a reverse knit stitch. Some older patterns say Row 1 knit; Row 2 reverse knit.

RMB
12-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Just another opinion here...I am left handed and taught myself to knit continental style. Since you are saying your left hand wants to do all the work..I would give the continental method a try. The left hand stays very busy holding the yarn and pushing the yarn to the needle while doing the knit stitch. I watched the video on this site on how to purl continental and have caught on to purling the way Amy shows in her video. The left hand is the strong hand while purling continental also.

Good luck on whichever method you choose...just don't give up :) . Your persistence and hard work will pay off for you! Sometimes when we lefties have to work hard to figure out things in a right handed world we end up understanding the concepts much better than if it had come easily in the first place!
Hang in there!!
Rhonda

Jens
12-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I think I will try to do some swatches in the English style. For the most part I am pretty used to having to watch any instructional videos in the mirror, and it actually makes sense to me!

I watched a video last night from someone who was showing how to do the purl stitch the left-handed way and I was seriously shocked to find out that I haven't been purling correctly! I don't even know what I would call what I am doing, it's like I am knitting backwards or something, which is really odd because I am currently knitting a ribbed scarf, and it's coming out ribbed, but maybe it's just a knit-reverse-knit scarf! So odd!

I think the trouble I might have with knitting in English style is that my left-hand wants to do all of the detailed work when I am doing something. My left hand wants to be the needle that is working, and I find that I end up kind of just resting the right needle on my hip or holding it kind of in my armpit!

It is sad that I was taught left-handed because my fashion studies teacher in high school was right handed and could have just taught me right handed knitting. Le sigh...:doh:
I am right handed but knit continental style. I also purled wrong what I was doing was a twisted purl. It's a little easier than the real purl. You can untwist them but I just learned how to do it right. I personally think conti style is easier. Throwing always looked like more work and I don't understand it. It just doesn't click at all. Goodluck!!
Jen

Lisa R.
12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
I just want to say, if you haven't even tried it, do give it a try. I'm definitely right-handed, and often get frustrated at the amount of dexterity knitting requires of my left hand--it is definitely a two handed process!

I did ask a lefty how to go about teaching my lefty dd, and was emphatically told to teach her the same way I do it...patterns are just too complicated.

That said, go with what works for you, of course.

Doozy
12-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I mean, I have been knitting on and off since I was 15 in a left-handed continental style, but then the other day when I saw a video on how to purl left-handed I was flabbergasted. I think I am going to make some swatches and try to knit with my right hand because I think when I try to do something like a pair of mittens on circulars (that are coming in the mail, woo!) that it will be easier to just read the instructions without having to reverse them...

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-14-2007, 08:40 PM
I really believe that you can do it - if you want. It will take some practice.. like learning to knit did.

Remember, I had to SUDDENLY use only one hand (and not my dominate hand at all) when I had my injury and this went on for over a year. I couldn't even use the other hand as a support or 'help'..

So, trust me.. if I could do it.. YOU CAN. I was very right handed dominate. It was hard to even brush my hair or my teeth using, for me, 'the wrong hand.' But, my learning curve had to start immediately.

So, I know you can do it. However, good luck in whatever you want to do... and your future knitting.

Quiara
12-15-2007, 03:51 AM
I really believe that you can do it - if you want. It will take some practice.. like learning to knit did.

Remember, I had to SUDDENLY use only one hand (and not my dominate hand at all) when I had my injury and this went on for over a year. I couldn't even use the other hand as a support or 'help'..

So, trust me.. if I could do it.. YOU CAN. I was very right handed dominate. It was hard to even brush my hair or my teeth using, for me, 'the wrong hand.' But, my learning curve had to start immediately.

So, I know you can do it. However, good luck in whatever you want to do... and your future knitting.

It would seem that given your experience and knowing how difficult it was for you to use your non-dominant hand for so long (and I'm assuming you went back to right-handed ways of doing things as soon as you were able?) you'd be encouraging her in left-handedness since she has no "impediment" other than being left-dominant...

I don't know. I don't think there's a "right" and "wrong" way to knit. There is a marked difference between left and right handed knitting and one may very well be more comfortable for her, give her dominant hand. I don't think she should be discouraged from exploring a style that is possibly more suited. Is it more work when reading patterns? Possibly. But I say this as a combination knitter - I have to readjust patterns constantly. It doesn't deter me from my preferred mode of knitting, though.

I dunno. Just seems like everyone gasped and shouted "Oh, no! NOT LEFT-HANDED!" When, really, it could be easier and more enjoyable for some. There are times I really enjoy it. Yes, knitting takes both hands, but there IS an issue of dominance. I primarily knit right-handed, but I CAN knit left and it IS very different. I can see how it can be more comfortable for someone who is used to left-handed dominant life.

*shrug* Just my 2.

Debkcs
12-15-2007, 04:02 AM
I'm very left handed, my right hand just kind of does it's own thing, helping out where ever it can. Crocheted for years, but wanted to learn to knit and studied everything I could find. Since the idea of using my right hand to 'throw' the yarn seemed silly, I latched onto Conti knitting. Purling is a breeze now, but I had to practice. Just decided to do it, not worry if it was right or wrong for awhile. Took a 'sampler' of different stitches into my LYS and asked her to check them out, as I'd heard that some Conti lefthanders twisted the yarn the wrong way. You just have to make up your mind that your hands will do as you tell them to, if you practice.

Good luck, I know that you'll find knitting really rewarding once you get the hang of it.

millyandnans
12-15-2007, 05:17 AM
I know this won't help you, but since your subject was generic, thus luring me in, I'll say this.

I'm a leftie and the only "different" way I knit is the English way. (I mean we're in America, right? LOL. I think continental is common, to be serious.)

Is this actually odd, do most lefties knit backwards/opposite? See when I played the guitar I did it normally, too. And I throw rightie.

My left hand is just for writing. It has the precision, whereas my right has the strength. Weird, huh?

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-15-2007, 06:17 AM
Milly.. you've done a good job.. learning the strengths and weaknesses of both hands and have learned to use them together.
I agree with you- fine motor skills are best done w/ the dominate hand.. but, knitting doesn't really take the fine motor skills of 'hand-writing' does it?
Keep it up Milly.. it is probably best to be able to switch things around- I can use my left-hand for certain things.. it is the hand that always hauls packages/bags/etc. It's probably my 'strength' hand too.. similiar to how you have one.

truble2301
12-15-2007, 07:23 AM
I dunno. Just seems like everyone gasped and shouted "Oh, no! NOT LEFT-HANDED!" When, really, it could be easier and more enjoyable for some. There are times I really enjoy it.

How many times can I scream "YES!!!!" I'm left handed and I completely sympathize with the poster. It's SO annoying to me to hear right-handed knitters say there's no difference or "just do it righty." Right -- you guys try doing it lefty, how about? :muah:

I knit from the right needle onto the left. I *can* knit righty if I want to, and will do it sometimes when I'm doing very short rows of stitches, but it screws up my tension. I manipulate the left needles in and out of the stitches but I throw with my right hand when purling or a mix of stitched, and pick when I'm doing just knitting. The yarn is always in my right hand, never in my left. Weird, I know. I looked at the left-handed DVD and it doesn't work for me. I also wrap my purl stitches from back to front instead of front to back. When I read directions for righties, I just switch right needles to left in my head and vice versa. It's a pain, but it's a right-handed world, for sure. But I don't think lefties need to learn the right-handed way of doing things when we can knit left-handed perfectly well once we get the hang of it.

Doozy
12-15-2007, 11:49 PM
How many times can I scream "YES!!!!" I'm left handed and I completely sympathize with the poster. It's SO annoying to me to hear right-handed knitters say there's no difference or "just do it righty." Right -- you guys try doing it lefty, how about? :muah:

I knit from the right needle onto the left. I *can* knit righty if I want to, and will do it sometimes when I'm doing very short rows of stitches, but it screws up my tension. I manipulate the left needles in and out of the stitches but I throw with my right hand when purling or a mix of stitched, and pick when I'm doing just knitting. The yarn is always in my right hand, never in my left. Weird, I know. I looked at the left-handed DVD and it doesn't work for me. I also wrap my purl stitches from back to front instead of front to back. When I read directions for righties, I just switch right needles to left in my head and vice versa. It's a pain, but it's a right-handed world, for sure. But I don't think lefties need to learn the right-handed way of doing things when we can knit left-handed perfectly well once we get the hang of it.

I've looked into how I've been knitting and I seem to be able to do both stitches just fine, but yes, I agree with this poster that it's really not that easy to just knit right-handed. I re-learned to knit with books that were for left-handers, and after looking at my swatches, I figured out that I'm not twisting stitches at all, but when I watch the "left out" knitter videos, I am not purling the same way she is.

Also, I was in my LYS this morning and I talked to someone there who said that they don't think there would be any problems with me reading the pattern.

The more I think about it, the more confused I get. I am knitting fine so far, but I haven't done any kind of complicated sweaters or anything, so I haven't tested whether I would be able to carry out a huge project in the correct manner, but it seems to me like I should be able to do a pattern just fine?

Also, he suggested I try German knitting, which I've never even heard of, has anyone else?

LeftOutKnitter
12-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi, I'm the knitter that Quiara mentioned (hugs Q!). I knit left-handed. It's not rocket science and all the righties on this list need to be very quiet and learn. Knitting is a passion, an art. As long as the stitches don't fall apart, it's knitting. Patterns do not have to be reversed for left handed knitters! Only shaping and then it even depends on your knitting style. Some lefty knitters don't have to change a thing, did you know that? Please, for the love of all things warm and snuggly, visit my site (it's free and I don't do spam or anything) and see the 4 distinct types of left handed knitting. http://leftoutknitter.com/left-handed_knitting_style.php
Please do not abandon your knitting projects unless you just want to challenge yourself to use a completely different style. If the video you watched on YouTube said it was left handed purling, perhaps that person does a different style of lefty knitting. then again, if you are using the Vogue knitting book for instructions, I am sorry to say they have you wrap the stitch wrong. It will lead to twisted stitches, which is fine if you like that nice textured look, but if you want open stitches, you'll have to change it. I am the only publication in print about left handed knitting. The book isn't out yet, sorry, I should lock myself up and force myself to finish and be done with it. The DVD is basics, it does not include combined lefty knitting, but does detail the 2 methods of open knitting with many decreases, increases etc. If you have more questions, please email me and I am glad to help. THere is also a good yahoo group that I am very active in for lefties knitters ONLY gnittink is the name of the group. Good luck and I hope to hear from you!

Debkcs
12-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi Left Out,

Thanks for your informative blog. What I learned from it is that I do knit like a right hander, using the Continental method makes this possible for me. It would confuse my already fuddled brain to take the stitches from the right hand needle, I take them from the left.

When your book comes out, I'll definitely buy it, my DDIL and my DGD are both lefties, and at some point will want to learn to knit.

Doozy
12-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi, I'm the knitter that Quiara mentioned (hugs Q!). I knit left-handed. It's not rocket science and all the righties on this list need to be very quiet and learn. Knitting is a passion, an art. As long as the stitches don't fall apart, it's knitting. Patterns do not have to be reversed for left handed knitters! Only shaping and then it even depends on your knitting style. Some lefty knitters don't have to change a thing, did you know that? Please, for the love of all things warm and snuggly, visit my site (it's free and I don't do spam or anything) and see the 4 distinct types of left handed knitting. http://leftoutknitter.com/left-handed_knitting_style.php
Please do not abandon your knitting projects unless you just want to challenge yourself to use a completely different style. If the video you watched on YouTube said it was left handed purling, perhaps that person does a different style of lefty knitting. then again, if you are using the Vogue knitting book for instructions, I am sorry to say they have you wrap the stitch wrong. It will lead to twisted stitches, which is fine if you like that nice textured look, but if you want open stitches, you'll have to change it. I am the only publication in print about left handed knitting. The book isn't out yet, sorry, I should lock myself up and force myself to finish and be done with it. The DVD is basics, it does not include combined lefty knitting, but does detail the 2 methods of open knitting with many decreases, increases etc. If you have more questions, please email me and I am glad to help. THere is also a good yahoo group that I am very active in for lefties knitters ONLY gnittink is the name of the group. Good luck and I hope to hear from you!

I will email you right now! Thanks! :thumbsup:

knitncook
12-17-2007, 08:39 AM

YES!!! Diane is my "September Friend" She and her family come down to Pensacola every fall and spend a month here on the beach. I met her through our homeschool group and we've become good knitting friends ever since. She is VERY amazing and I'm :cheering: her on as she ventures into the left-handed knitting world. I"m so glad that someone else mentioned her! The longer Diane and I know each other the more we find we have in common. I know that she uses Continental knitting as her primary knitting style. She's very fast and simply amazing to watch.

knitncook
12-17-2007, 08:41 AM
I will email you right now! Thanks! :thumbsup:
Look! And there she is! :) Hi Diane!!! :muah:

l_moon_star
12-17-2007, 09:52 AM
I also knit with my left hand. I have tried multiple times to use my right and just can't keep the tension right or anything else. I didn't notice anyone mention but I found this site http://www.cobweb.net/~knitting/lefties.html
Before I found this site I basically just made scarfs all the time. Now I can read any direction's. I just printed out the cheat sheet and keep it with any project I'm working on and refer back to it whenever I get to increases or decreases.

Christine

nonny2t
12-17-2007, 09:53 AM
I knit left handed and always have. I can't knit righthanded and don't really want to. I know it can be a struggle to figure out the directions on things sometimes, but I really haven't found anyone who has put out anything geared specifically for those who knit lefthanded (as in empty needle in left hand, knitting on right needle.) I just plod along and work the directions out for myself. Let us know if you ever find anything for us rightbrainers!

Doozy
12-17-2007, 02:01 PM
So true about Diane, she is fantastic!

Doozy
12-17-2007, 02:02 PM
I also knit with my left hand. I have tried multiple times to use my right and just can't keep the tension right or anything else. I didn't notice anyone mention but I found this site http://www.cobweb.net/~knitting/lefties.html
Before I found this site I basically just made scarfs all the time. Now I can read any direction's. I just printed out the cheat sheet and keep it with any project I'm working on and refer back to it whenever I get to increases or decreases.

Christine

This is a great link! I love it! Now I won't have to scratch out all of my pattern directions!:woot:

twistystitcher
01-23-2008, 07:34 PM
I knit lefty also and just wanted to add this link as a resource for us southpaw knitters:

www.knittingleft.com

The DVD she has on her site is mostly beginner stuff, some advanced stuff but it's great for those like myself who need to see it being done left-handed. She's also doing a more advanced DVD. Hope this helps.

knittingymnast
01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Knitting uses both hands, just in different ways, so there's no adavantage to right handed knitters. Are you holding the yarn in your left and throwing, or doing it continental style? If you knit continental you can easily learn knitting clockwise in the round or from right to left if knitting flat. If you throw lefthanded, that complicates it.

many left-handed people throw righthanded. like my friend :yay: (not anyone annyoing!)

Ldymadlin
01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
http://www.leftoutknitter.com/

I am a left handed knitter as well and these may be repeats but these were posted on a question that I had as well. I completely understand your frusteration, Reversing knitting instructions is not as easy as people think. I hope that you are getting all of the help you need. atleast I know that there is another left hander out there that is having the same troubles that I am. :yay: