PDA

View Full Version : Need idea/pattern/advice

Quiara
12-17-2007, 12:58 AM
My brother and my sister-in-law have been trying to have a baby for a long time now. This week, they found out they were pregnant. Thursday, my sister-in-law lost the baby. It's hit our entire family hard and I wanted to do something tangible to help them in this time of sadness.

I'm not interested in politics at the moment. Whatever your beliefs are on pre-birth and whether that counts as a person, I respect it, but that's not my point. My sister-in-law is who I care about right now and in HER worldview, she lost a baby.

I want to knit them a keepsake, but I can't find a non-tacky pattern. Free or pay, it doesn't matter. I want something that validates her experience and gives her comfort and helps her know how much I love her and my brother both.

I want something heartfelt, not trite and classic. Something that will endure, but which can be put away when thinking about that baby is too painful. When I lost a baby 2 years ago, a very dear friend gave me a very special doll. It has helped immensely. I want to do something for my family that would hold similar meaning.

All suggestions are welcome. Thank you for understanding.

momwolf
12-17-2007, 01:31 AM
How about this?You could put it on anything you like.Maybe put it in a picture frame and add a name if they had one picked out.

witeowl
12-17-2007, 02:13 AM
I'm sorry for your family's loss. Rest assured that politics don't enter into it; they are grieving for a very real loss of their future with an expected child.

My situation was slightly different, as I had crocheted my own grief afghan when I miscarried (after burying the baby blanket I had previously been making). However, I think that something similar would be appropriate, aiming for something that does double duty: utilitarian and sentimental. Since time is an issue, how about a lap blanket/comfort wrap? What I love about my afghan is that I can have it out on a daily basis, knowing that it's primarily there for function at this time and - every once in a while - I can quietly recall its deeper meaning.