PDA

View Full Version : What types of needles do you like to use?

RoseFairy
12-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Hello everyone. I'm a new knitter and I was wondering, what materials and types of needles does everyone like to use and why?

I'm just curious because I have some aluminum and bamboo needles. I like the bamboo ones because it grips the yarn well and still allows it to slide off easily, but a few of them seem to be a tad bit bigger then the needle size gauge says. Aluminum ones are the right size in the needle gauge but are slippery with the yarn at times.

So I was wondering what types of needles other people like to use so maybe I can find other options.

Quiara
12-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Even though it's not solely about the types of needles, if you'll look at the top of the forum, you'll see a sticky about types of interchangeables. People discuss the merits and detriments of various sets and often this has to do with the sorts of needles people prefer.

Personally, I'm a nickel-plated gal. ^_~

bethany
12-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I learned on bamboo, have been using aluminum and am anxiously awaiting some Knit Pick Harmonies...I think it depends on the person, the yarn, the project.

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-18-2007, 10:24 AM
I knit almost 100% on bamboo needles. I also use my Denise Interchangeables.

I learned how on metals- since, that was all that was available in my little town when I learned to knit many, many years ago.

cdjack
12-18-2007, 10:32 AM
I learned on metal, but my favorite are my bamboo needles.
I'm afraid to try out the pricier interchangeables at the ys. I might like them... :teehee:

msoebel
12-18-2007, 10:49 AM
My very favorite needles are a simple pair of Boye 10 1/2 aluminum needles. Cheap yes...but the way they fit my hands so perfectly and the way my stitches can fly when I use them! I love them.

janettle
12-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I learned on plastic, which was okay, but once I tried metal I fell in love with the smooth, slick movement. Now I use Knitpicks nickel-plated Options.

Knitpicks also makes wooden needles called Harmony, which I've read are slicker than bamboo, but not as slick as metal. The Harmonies are new on the market and people really seem to love them.

cftwo
12-18-2007, 11:31 AM
It depends on the project for me. I like both my metal and my bamboo. I've started some projects on bamboo and switched to metal (laceweight merino did NOT slide well on my bamboo needles, though now that I've discovered Crystal Palace bamboo needles, I might try again), and started projects on metal and switched to bamboo. I tend not to buy plastic. I think it's because they just look not as strong as the others.

mhansen
12-18-2007, 11:48 AM
I love my bamboo needles.

suzeeq
12-18-2007, 11:52 AM
My very favorite needles are a simple pair of Boye 10 1/2 aluminum needles. Cheap yes...but the way they fit my hands so perfectly and the way my stitches can fly when I use them! I love them.

Yup, me too. Love the size and how the work flows on them.

The.Knitter
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
I prefer the resin. My Denise interchangables are slick enough to knit fast but still have a bit of "grip" to them. I knit almost exclusively on them now.

Eccie
12-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I learned on plastic, then tried metal and then babmoo. I like all three depending on the project and yarn, sometimes I want slipperiness. But I find myslef reaching for the bamboo more often than the others.

knitgal
12-18-2007, 01:21 PM
I learned on plastic, which I often still use since I have several sets of them. I really liked the casein needles I bought last year to make the DBF a hat. I haven't gotten to use them much, but they're lovely. I love the way metal needles feel the most, but they're not ideal for everything (re: fine alpaca!), so then bamboo is better. I think I will buy the Harmony set from Knit Picks when I get the chance, but the nickel-plated are appealing too- maybe both!

Louisa
12-18-2007, 01:26 PM
As you can see it really is a personal choice. For me I love the smoothness and speed of metal. However, I don't like how cold they are in the winter. I only use bamboo for dpns because I'm just not that skilled on DPNs and so need the extra grippy-ness of the bamboo. I originally learned on resin / plastic needles and they were good when I started out. Their grippyness gave me confidence I wouldn't drop stitches when I was working slowly. However, now that my hands can move faster I hate them. I only wish I could find metal needles in bigger sizes - ie 7 mm and up. Also it depends on the yarn. Cotton on bamboo is aweful - way to sticky but a fine merino on mettal just slithers off. So a lot of factors into what needles to use.

PandoraKnits
12-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I learned on cheap aluminum needles, progressed to bamboo, and attained true nirvana :heart: with my KnitPicks interchangeable needles. I also use Addis, which I love. I think anything with the nickel plating is wonderful. I do, however, change back to bamboo for slippery yarns or when I'm afraid of dropping stitches, as the nickel plated needles tend to be slick.

boo1
12-18-2007, 04:58 PM
the Addi Turbos, though the Knit Picks Options are great too!

Plantgoddess+
12-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I have always used whatever I had and I have an eclectic mixture of materials. I have just started paying attention to matching needle material to yarn type since joining KH. It can make a difference ie: slippery yarn-wooden or resin/plastic. Fuzzy yarn-metal. They all work it's just a matter of money and how particular you are. This site is making me more particular.

Debkcs
12-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I prefer the resin. My Denise interchangables are slick enough to knit fast but still have a bit of "grip" to them. I knit almost exclusively on them now.

And, for socks, I use Addi Turbos for knitting on two circulars. DPN's drive me crazy, um crazier, than I already am. Another reason for circulars is that they distribute the weight of heavy projects better than straights do.