PDA

View Full Version : It's time to step back from knitting when...

alleusion
12-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I was thinking about this phrase this morning as I was telling DH about a dream I had last night. Well, dream isn't really the best word. Horrific nightmare is probably the better wording.

It started out innocently enough. I had made a hat for the soon to be baby of a friend's daughter and needed to take it to her. Why I couldn't have mailed it, I don't know. She lives in Austrailia. I live in Canada. Somehow in my dream, it was only a 30 minute drive away. (Hey it's a dream, go with it.)

I packed the kids and DH in the car and off we went to deliver the hat. It was an adorable chenille hat with a tiny little brim in a bright vivid blue...but that's besides the point. Anyway, that was the only real part that knitting had to play in the dream. The rest of it dissolved into a mess including a large black dog (terrified of them), a graveyard complete with talking dead people, kidnapping, an intruder in the home and ending with torture with beetles (and not the rock group either) before I woke up. I ended up not getting back to sleep for about 3 more hours, only to be awoken by the alarm less than an hour later.

So, I'm thinking.....am I knitting too much if most nights I have a dream involving some type of knitting? (Let's not discuss the dream I had the other night with the 50 foot scarf...) I mean pregnant women seem to have very vivid dreams to begin with, I don't think I'm helping the issue any by imagining projects I want to do and stitches I want to try and yummy yarn I want to get my hands on....as I'm drifting off to sleep.

I can't be the only one....please, share your knitting dream stories, or times when you felt you needed to put the knitting down and back away slowly.

gingerbread
12-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I can't say that I have had any real bad dreams about knitting. Just one and really it was so long ago. I did enjoy your dreams as did my husband.
I love your avatar of the baby :heart:.
I hope you get more sleep and have better knitting dreams to share.:roflhard:
Which I hope you don't have any big black dogs, talking dead people or beetles in it.
p.s. or any fifty foot scarfs

Mariblue
12-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I have dreams about knitting. I had a dream once where I was struck with inspiration about a knew knitting design, it was the most wonderful idea, seriously, everyone would want to knit it. Well, when I woke up, with plans of writing down the idea, I realized in my non-dreaming state, that it was the most utterly ridiculous thing I'd ever thought of. I don't even remember what it was for, but it was pretty silly, and I was shocked that even in my sleep I would think it was good.

Songbirdy
12-18-2007, 03:19 PM
:hug: Sounds like regular horrible pregnancy hormone induced dreams.

Mariblue...

I always wanted to draw like my mother. As a child I worked and worked so hard to be like her. I don't know how many time I got up after sleep drawing the most amazing picture. And I'd sit there with the pencil and paper and try as I might... my awake body just couldn't do what my sleep body could do so wonderfully.

As per the pregnancy dreams... I had those in spades. At times I was thankful for heart burn that kept me from sleeping!

debinoz
12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I've only ever had one knitting dream, but zombies, vampires, graveyards, spooky houses, killer viruses and creepy crawlies show up regularly.

Mulderknitter
12-18-2007, 09:54 PM
I'd just go with it. For me, vivid even if spooky dreams, mean that my brain is being creative. Maybe your knitting has sparked a new neuron in your brain that is saying ":woohoo: we have new stuff!"

auburnchick
12-19-2007, 01:33 AM
No scary knitting dreams, but I did knit last night and tonight outside at soccer games. It was in the 30's both nights. But, because I've been so busy studying (and now that classes are over), I'm taking advantage of all of my extra time. People were looking at me like I was crazy, and my knuckles were red from the cold. But knit, I did...a lacy scarf pattern too.

So, when your hands are frozen to your metal Options needles, then you know you need to step away (although they go with you, until you find a heater!).

:teehee:

msoebel
12-19-2007, 11:20 AM
No vivid knitting dreams...but one Christmas I worked at the mall wrapping gifts. I dreamt that I was being chased by a giant tape dispenser (with large metal teeth!) and huge cardboard rolls. It was scary!