PDA

View Full Version : Britney Spears's little sister is PREGNANT??!?

yeah_im_crazy
12-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Ummm.........wow.

Get this.....she met the baby's father in church. He's 19 and she is 16, isnt that like stattitory (sorry spelling) rape? Cant he go to jail?

Once again, wow.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=289216

nonny2t
12-19-2007, 07:08 AM
I find it disgusting and yes technically it is statutory rape and he can go to jail.

I find it repulsive kids can't seem to keep their pants on until they marry, but geez if they have to there is birth control for heaven's sake.

auburnchick
12-19-2007, 09:37 AM
In the state of Florida, he could be arrested and tagged as a sex offender. When I worked at our local law enforcement agency, one of my co-workers was responsible for registering sex offenders, and she sent the officers out if she lost contact with them.

I remember several cases where the sex was consensual. However, the guy was the "adult" capable of making that decision.

I find it sad for the family...overall. As the mom of a teenage girl, it frightens me. Dd does not understand why I won't let her go to her guy "friend's" house. Ummm...perhaps the possibility of no supervision? Hello??

But, you can't blame the parents...solely.

So sad. At least she's not going to abort the baby. Give the girl points for that.

Silver
12-19-2007, 09:59 AM
eh.. not surprised.

cdjack
12-19-2007, 10:15 AM
She's got to do a better job than her sister. I don't think that she can do much worse. I mean, if she doesn't shave her head and she keeps her underwear on... It MIGHT turn out ok...

Jax3303
12-19-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm in the 'not surprised' camp.

however, I must say, birth control dosen't always work. We don't know the specifics. Both of them could have been using protection for all we know. **** happens and birth control fails. Hell, 2 of my 3 kids were concieved while I was on the pill and dh was wearing a condom.

and for the age thing, I don't think it should be criminal anywhere for a 19 yr old boy and a 16 year old girl to have consensual sex. Maybe I'm biased because that's the same age difference between DH and I, but guys do not mature as quickly as girls do so IMHO a 19 yr old boy and a 16 yr old girl are at the same maturity level. I DO, however, have HUGE issues with the fact that jamie lynn spears and her boyfriend have been LIVING together for a year. That's just wrong, and because of that, her parents ARE solely responsible for this teenage pregnancy. They let her move in with this guy when she was 15!

knitgal
12-19-2007, 10:55 AM
It's pretty sad that this family has had so many issues. I'm pretty sure everyone was expecting Jamie Lynn to follow in Britney's footsteps and now she is. It must be hard to have a sister who is such a public spectacle. I agree that it's a little strange that they were living together, but there are many circumstances that can explain this. When I was 16 my parents moved provinces and it was my last year of high school so I lived with my boyfriend and his parents. We were barely allowed in the same room, and never in each other's bedrooms.
I feel bad for Jamie Lynn. She needs to get out of the spotlight, get an education, raise her child and try to have a "normal" life. Stardom has been bad for this family.

msoebel
12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Obviously, it's disturbing that a 16 year old is going to have a baby. But she is at least handling it maturely, unlike the way her big sis is handling everything.

"I definitely don't think it's something you should do; it's better to wait," she says. "But I can't be judgmental because it's a position I put myself in."

She is taking responsibility for her actions (one of her sister's biggest problems), and she KNOWS WHO THE FATHER IS. She's already way ahead of many other young women who end up in the same situation. Good for her. It's not the best situation, but it could be so, so much worse.

In most states, her 19 year old boyfriend will only be charged with statutory rape IF her parents file charges. I doubt that will be happening.

debinoz
12-19-2007, 12:58 PM
The news here played it big on the fact that the father was "her long time boyfriend." So! She's still only 16. Although I guess I have no room to talk... I was married when I was 16. (Ten days before my 17th and no I didn't "have" to.) It's one of those stories that if you have a teen-age daughter, you want to watch them more closely. DD thinks I'm weird because I keep a calandar with dates of her and her sisters cycles.... I call myself concerned not weird. How do I know what they're doing when they're not home.

wewantmore
12-19-2007, 01:28 PM
What's even scarier is that Lynn Spears (aka their Mom) is writing a PARENTING BOOK being published by a Christian book company. :noway:

I personally don't think she is one to be giving PARENTING advice. :shrug:

Michelle

Rhea
12-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I feel bad for her. I think she is just growing up too fast because of the industry she is in. It requires a ridiculous amount of maturity for someone her age.

I think she and the baby will be just fine though. She isn't an alcoholic and doesn't do drgs and isn't going out partying every night, she just made a mistake with her boyfriend.

And, financially, if anyone has the means to provide for a child, it's her.

I find her maturity and responsibility actually quite impressive. She is handling it with much more dignity than i could have at that age. She is a strong girl.

PaperGirl
12-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Cross another tween idol OFF the "approved" list for my 12 year old.

I dont care if she is being responsible by having and raising the baby. I'm genuinely concerned about the whole AGE aspect. LIVING with a guy since before she was even legally able to DRIVE? WTH?

Someone once told me...."You have to be a certain age to drive, vote, buy tobacco, or drink, BUT ANY IDIOT CAN HAVE A BABY."

This is one of those situations.

*my fingers are crossed for Miley Cyrus and Hilary Duff. Out of pretty much ALL the tween/young Hollywood starlets...those 2 are the only ones left that I actually have any kind of respect for*

letah75
12-19-2007, 05:00 PM
What's even scarier is that Lynn Spears (aka their Mom) is writing a PARENTING BOOK being published by a Christian book company. :noway:

Michelle

Uhhh, yup, it appears that others agree, you can read about it here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071219/ap_en_ot/people_lynne_spears)

Krystal
12-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Michelle

Actually, that book has since been "Delayed, indefinitely" according to the publishers of the book. lol.

--Letah you beat me to it. lol.

However, I wouldn't totally right her off... (Ok letting them live together was quite possibly the most irrisponsible thing she could do... but I'll continue.)

I personally would love to see her write a book about Parenting Advice for mistakes. So many mothers have to find out their babies are having babies, and wonder where they went wrong, or what now. It would be nice if she could change her book a bit to address those topics...

Given everything that is going on in her family, I can imagine a great number of people consider her a failure as a parent, and in that number somewhere are some parents who also feel like failures, and may want to know how she handled it, and her thoughts on things are...

knitncook
12-19-2007, 05:49 PM
I feel bad for Jamie Lynn. She needs to get out of the spotlight, get an education, raise her child and try to have a "normal" life. Stardom has been bad for this family.

There are plenty of people who don't have stardom as an excuse for poor decisions. I come from a family of women who married as teens because they "had to" who didn't have the education they needed, and have what most people would call a "normal life." As Forrest Gump's Mama said, "Stupid is as stupid does." Doesn't take fame to make someone make poor decisions. That family is about as messed up as mine (except mine doesn't have the papparazzi following them). I shocked everyone by actually graduating from high school, going to college, and being married more than 4 years before having a baby. I'm now viewed as "snobby and too good" for the rest of the family. :woot:

wewantmore
12-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Cross another tween idol OFF the "approved" list for my 12 year old.

I dont care if she is being responsible by having and raising the baby. I'm genuinely concerned about the whole AGE aspect. LIVING with a guy since before she was even legally able to DRIVE? WTH?

Someone once told me...."You have to be a certain age to drive, vote, buy tobacco, or drink, BUT ANY IDIOT CAN HAVE A BABY."

This is one of those situations.

*my fingers are crossed for Miley Cyrus and Hilary Duff. Out of pretty much ALL the tween/young Hollywood starlets...those 2 are the only ones left that I actually have any kind of respect for*
I personally LOVE Amanda Bynes.

I'm glad the book is on 'hold' but it's not canceled. Now if she does change it to a 'what not to do' book, then I'd feel a tad bit better. Still wouldn't read it.

Michelle

CDBear
12-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I can't see Nickelodeon keeping her on...... I hope she's saved some money to continue taking care of herself and her little one.

auburnchick
12-19-2007, 09:48 PM
I personally LOVE Amanda Bynes.

I'm glad the book is on 'hold' but it's not canceled. Now if she does change it to a 'what not to do' book, then I'd feel a tad bit better. Still wouldn't read it.

Michelle

I think that we could all write books on "what not to do" in parenting. I've certainly made mistakes, and I'm pretty certain that I'll make a few more (maybe one or two) before my children leave home in a few short years.

Krystal
12-20-2007, 12:30 AM
I can't see Nickelodeon keeping her on...... I hope she's saved some money to continue taking care of herself and her little one.

It is reported that Jamie Lynn will recieve 1million dollars from OK! Magazine to do an exclusive photoshoot when the baby is born.

I think she will be ok. Sure it's less than ideal, but at least she has the monitary support to go with her parental support in this situation. So many girls don't have either.

starburst
12-20-2007, 07:02 AM
I can't say that I am even remotely surprised. She hasn't exactly had the most appropriate role models in her life.

As for having a list of "approved" celebrities, well, if a celebrity is capable of winning the attention of young kids, it's pretty safe to say that there is more going on than you would want kids exposed to. You would be surprised to hear how many Nick stars are supposedly on drugs and some of them even confirm it themselves

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-20-2007, 10:04 AM
while i'm not surprised (dh and i were talking after seeing it on our local news station that her mother's book on parenting has also been suspended indefinately... i told dh "i really miss good idea/bad idea on animaniacs"... dh goes: "Good idea: Lynn Spears reading a book on parenting. Bad idea: lynn spears WRITING a book on parenting.") i did shake my head. I have seen how hard it's been for my oldest stepson (He has a little girl that will be 4.. his girlfriend got pregnant when he was 17/almost 18. she supposedly claims to have been 17 which is the age of consent in NY and was only 15... neither graduated high school, he works 2-3 jobs to support his kid and she has no clue what she's doing..) I was also a teenage mom (i was 18 when i got pg... i was on the pill, dh used condoms... dh was 32 at the time.. second time we concieved it was TWINS.. i was also on the pill and dh used a condom again).

Frankly i think the whole family needs to take advantage of councelling and i really hope that Jamie Spears takes some parenting classes before the little one arrives.

msoebel
12-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Hilary Duff was living with her 24 year old boyfriend before her 17th birthday.

Sorry.

I think that most young starlets in Hollywood (and I assume all) are having sex with their significant others...Jamie Lynn just got "caught". You tend to do what others are doing...because it becomes a "norm".

auburnchick
12-20-2007, 11:38 AM
It's a serious issue with teens in general. One of my daughter's friends was talking to me one day, and she said that many of the girls her age and younger are having sex. We're talking first and second year high school students.

I worked at a middle school for three years. The SRO told me that he caught a bunch of kids who had been leaving school and going to someone's house to have sex. Whole groups of kids...caught with their pants down, so to speak. One student was pregnant with her second child, and she was in eighth grade.

As a parent, I do not apologize for being strict with my children. I'm teaching them my reasons behind it, and they understand it in their minds. I try to explain that when they get in certain situations, their hormones will wage a major battle with their brains. Why allow them to put themselves in those situations to begin with -- when they aren't mature enough to make the right decisions.

Too many parents are letting their children "make their own mistakes" and take a hands-off approach when they hit a certain age. Not me...and I do not care if my kids (name dd) get mad and cry. Sometimes "no" simply means "no." Period.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-20-2007, 10:53 PM
it's not just high and middle schools... my sons came home from school last year and asked me what sex was (they were in first and third grade). They'd overheard some of the older kids talking about it (5th grade). something i definately DID NOT expect (i told them it was what married moms and dads did to have babies and if they didn't want babies then they didn't have sex). We're not uptight about the human body and bodily functions at all around here, but my kids (now 7 and 9) do not need to know any details.

I'm also a "mean mom". i HAVE TO have the phone numbers, names, locations, times, etc when the boys go out... hence why their friends are allowed to come here and i let them take over the livingroom (big screen tv, dvd player, surround sound, video game systems, etc... the boys just tell their friends to bring something to contribute to the snacks). there's always an adult here for supervision (not to mention my BIL, MIL and FIL all live less than 2 blocks away). the problem these days is that most parents dont' know how to parent (most my age anyway) because their own parents were too busy trying to be their friends.

auburnchick
12-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I think it's laziness. It takes a lot of work to actively parent your children. And it's mind numbing to have to listen to kids gripe when you say no.

I still go in and meet parents when I drop my almost 16 yo dd off at parties (normal get-togethers...with parents present at all times, mind you). I give my cell phone number to the parents just in case something happens. They always look shocked when I do this. Obviously, it's not normal.

starburst
12-21-2007, 12:07 AM
When I was in high school, my mom and one of my best friend's moms formed "The Parental Pact." It's been a running joke since the 9th grade that if we ever did anything wrong, the parental police would take us in to the station. I always found it funny because my friend and I were really quiet and shy, so they really didn't have a lot to fear. I knew that if I ever went anywhere with Kat, my mom would check in with the parents of our friends to make sure we were ok and so would Kat's mom. I also knew that I couldn't talk to my mom about Kat because my mom would report immediately to Kat's mom(and her mom was borderline psychotic controlling, so eventually my mom stopped passing on information too). It wasn't bad or even annoying on my end but it was hiiiighly embarassing. Whatever, we survived high school haha

annomalley
12-21-2007, 04:17 PM
There is a small part of me that has to wonder if this girl got pregnant subconciously/on purpose, so she wouldn't have a career and be in the spotlight and she could go back home and live a normal life? I mean it kind of makes sense to me, seeing how her mother seems to be quite the stage mother and her sister is quite the train wreck.

Something that bothers me about this, though, is the fact that this girl's mother and her went to a tabloid and sold the rights to the first baby pictures? That says quite a lot about Lynne Spears' priorities. If I had a 16 year old daughter, believe me, profiting off my 16 year old daughter's pregnancy would be the last thing to cross my mind.

If any good comes out of this, I really, really hope that it gives some kids pause and makes them think about the consequences of their actions and that they need to be responsible for their actions, because if it can happen to her, it can happen to them, too.

ironmaiden
12-22-2007, 03:44 AM
I have to say, I find a lot of these responses extremely rude and judgmental. Perhaps this isn't an ideal situation, but it isn't this huge horrible thing. And it's not really our business, much less our business to pass judgment.

I'm disappointed to see this here.

SnarfyCat
12-22-2007, 04:06 AM
eh.. not surprised.

*falls on floor laughing*
My sentiments exactly!

Sandi
12-22-2007, 03:38 PM
NOT SURPRISED AT ALL!! Only that it took this long.....
The girl isn't old enough to have had "a long term" boyfriend for starters.
First clue her parents are crazy! They let her move in with her boyfriend at 15. But then on second thought, boyfriend or parents, considering who the parents are,I may lean towards the boyfriend.
The best thing Jamie could do is get away from those crazies and lead her own life. It can't possibly be any worse than her sisters.
And what stupid editor, at a Christian publishing house, no less ever thought Lynn Spears was qualified to write a parenting book.
In this day and age there is to me no reason for anyone to be getting pregnant without wanting to. Accidents do happen, but I don't think they happen as often as some would like others to believe
Brittney should be forced into a nut house, her kids taken away until she proves that she has dug her head out of her *ss, and put some underwear on.
I'm sure some won't agree, but then I guess what free speech is all about......

Merry Christmas everyone!

Krystal
12-22-2007, 04:10 PM
NOT SURPRISED AT ALL!! Only that it took this long.....
The girl isn't old enough to have had "a long term" boyfriend for starters.

That is not a fair comment. She is CERTAINLY old enough to be with someone long term. My first boyfriend and I had been together 3 years by the time I turned 16. I don't know but 3 years is plenty long enough to consider, long-term.

I don't know how long she has been with her boyfriend, I am pretty sure it has been a year+... Maybe not exactly amazing but long term considering they are teens. I know regardless, this doesn't make the situation an exact WOOHOO, considering their age. But that was unfair.

I don't think Lynn is a horrible mother. She screwed up sure. Who doesn't? All of a sudden everyone is convinced their way of Parenting is the best. It is the best FOR YOU, but that doesn't mean your kid won't come home one day in the exact same situation. It can sometimes be a crap shoot.

You can all try to do your best, try your hardest, and love your kids with all you have. And hope in the end it was enough.

But she is standing by her daughter when she needs it most. That is what makes a good mom in my book. The ones who are there when the **** hits the fan.

Like I said before, so many young girls in this situation don't have that support.

edit: I want to add something before anyone responds..

I don't want to come off as if I am saying you are all WRONG and BAD. I don't THINK what I said can be construed that way, but the internet has a way of losing the meaning behind the words. I want to stress that I in no one think any of you as bad moms, or anything like that, but you gotta give Lynn some slack. You could do the exact opposite of what she did and still end up in the same situation, so you should think about how you would feel in that situation. Babies don't come with manuals, so everyone makes it up as they go along, maybe borrowing ideas from other moms. I just want to make sure you guys don't think I am personally attacking anyone. I am not. I just think Lynn needs to be cut a little bit of slack...

and maybe slapped a bit for letting her teen daughter live with a guy. I know there are no manuals, but that one should have been an obvious no. lol.

Sandi
12-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Oh to be young enough to once again think "3 years" is long term. For goodness sake, at 16, 3 months is long term.

I don't think anyone that has commented on here is for one minute thinking that they have raised their kids without any mistakes. Those of us with kids know all to well that we are human.

It's not rude or judgemental to express one's views. I do believe that's what this is meant to be for. (?) And not to be putdown or judged for not sharing everyone's point of view.

But if you are stupid enough to let your 15 year old daughter move in with her boyfriend, I'm sorry "Lynn Spears", what did you think was going to happen?????

And life is not always "fair".

Krystal
12-23-2007, 01:13 AM
I guess long term is like beauty. It is in the eye of the beholder.

SabrinaJL
12-23-2007, 01:37 AM
I started dating my husband when I was 15. I had our daughter when I was 16. On Jan. 29th, we will have been together for 15 years. Getting pregnant at 16 isn't ideal, but it's not always the worst thing in the world either. I hope things work out for them.

auburnchick
12-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I think that this is the perfect place for this discussion. We are bonded together through our love of knitting (or crocheting). IRL friends bond together for similar reasons and then discuss the latest news or whatever.

I believe that we all need to take responsibility for our actions. As parents of children who have such things happen, we should take a hard, honest look at ourselves and see if there is anything we could have done differently. That's how we learn from our mistakes.

I have to say that I have been very impressed with the way that Brittany's mother has stepped in to take care of her grandchildren, even risking her relationship with her daughter to support the parent who appears (at least) to be the most responsible of the two. That takes guts. I'm sure she'll support her youngest in a similar manner.

I thought I would also interject one thing too. I have told my daughter that I do not want her dating right now. In fact, she is not allowed to "go out" with anyone.

I read a REALLY good book called "I Kissed Dating Goodbye." It is an absolutely wonderful book about dating and the purpose for it. I had my daughter read it, so she understands why I've taken this stance. I wish I had read this book when I was younger. It would have made me think differently about the reasons for going out with someone and would have empowered me to make different decisions, as I certainly was not perfect.

You know...as parents, we all made decisions during our teenage years that we would not want our own children to make. It's our job as parents to use our experiences and hindsight to steer our children toward making their own, hopefully good, decisions.

jodstr2
12-23-2007, 03:03 PM
You can all try to do your best, try your hardest, and love your kids with all you have. And hope in the end it was enough.

But she is standing by her daughter when she needs it most. That is what makes a good mom in my book. The ones who are there when the **** hits the fan...

...give Lynn some slack. You could do the exact opposite of what she did and still end up in the same situation, so you should think about how you would feel in that situation. Babies don't come with manuals, so everyone makes it up as they go along, maybe borrowing ideas from other moms. I just want to make sure you guys don't think I am personally attacking anyone. I am not. I just think Lynn needs to be cut a little bit of slack...

and maybe slapped a bit for letting her teen daughter live with a guy. I know there are no manuals, but that one should have been an obvious no. lol.

agreed. :thumbsup:

we do what we can to teach and protect and help our children understand. the choices they make are ultimately their own and for some of us - some if not most of those choices are heartbreaking for us, but... all we can do is all we can do.

Kels Joy.
12-23-2007, 04:08 PM
i like how she's taking responsiblity for herself and that she seems to have a level head about it all- but i honestly can't wait to see what nickelodeon says about it. kinda sucks honestly cus i liked her show.

i really wonder if she has really kept it a secret all along though because a tv-movie of her show is coming out soon, and its about her leaving the boarding school where the show takes place. it hasn't aired yet, so i don't know if she actually does leave the school- possibly ending the show? -but it's a pretty big coincidence if you ask me, the show possibly ending right as she announces she's having a baby.

KnittinKnots
01-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Hi - I've been reading all the posts about the Spears girls and I noticed you mentioned a book called "I Kissed Dating Goodbye". I would be interested in trying to find it in my town. Who is the author and is it still in print? I have a 13 year old and she is not interested in dating, altho she does have a few guys she has crushes on. According to her she "doesn't have a leash". (Where do they come up with these terms???) Anyway, she's a very strong Christian and she knows (as she's told me) that she's too young to date and being that she goes to our local Christian school, dating is frowned upon. Am I making any sense??? Ok, it's late here. Anyway, I think that book might help us both. I would appreciate it. Thanks!

tarrentella
01-08-2008, 07:05 AM
what is the minimumage for consentual sex in the US? i presume it varies state by state?
only here in the UK there would be no question of statutory rape as the age of consent is 16 making both parties completly legal.
I have some very strong views around laws regarding statutory rape. i think in many situations they can be extremely damaging to the individual accused, and the decision to charge is often emotive or one of revenge rather than a clear legal issue. if in this case the law was technically broken, the father doesnt need the added stigma of a rape conviction.

it is a shame she got prenant young, espeially in this da and age where it is more usuall to be in your mid 20s before you have your first child or marry. however not so long ago, marrying and havinga child young (ok normally a bit older than 16) was fairly common, as was marrying after only a short amount of time together (im thinking in terms of my mum who was married in the 70's aage 19 after knowing the guy a little over a year).

It is a little odd that she was living with the guy for a year previously, 15 is young for that, age gaps can be much bigger when your younger i feel, but we dont know the circumstances. i lived with a guy at that age, but i also lived with his mum, step dad, sister, another friend and grandmother!

HollyP
01-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi - I've been reading all the posts about the Spears girls and I noticed you mentioned a book called "I Kissed Dating Goodbye". I would be interested in trying to find it in my town. Who is the author and is it still in print?
The author is Joshua Harris. If you can't find it locally I am pretty sure Amazon or Ebay would have it. I lent out my copy and never got it back or I would offer you mine!

auburnchick
01-08-2008, 02:31 PM
He's also written a follow-up book to this one. While I stood in line to purchase my copy (from my local Christian book store), someone else waiting to pay told me that she had read both of his books. The second one talks about how he got married after following the precepts he put forth in his first book.

scout52
01-08-2008, 03:32 PM
For the people commenting on the statutory rape. I would find it quite hypocritical of the mother to charge him with rape after she allowed them to live together for a YEAR and THEN charge him with rape ONLY after Jamie got pregnant. If i was on the jury i would not find him guilty. Why? because they had parental consent to the living together and the sex ALREADY! so they had parental consent to the chance of getting pregnant if she was not on birth control why ruin the guy's life as a sex offender only because he got her pregnant? hello? what did you think was going to happen?

Krystal
01-08-2008, 04:36 PM
what is the minimumage for consentual sex in the US? i presume it varies state by state?

It does, in Louisiana, it was statutory rape. But like you said, a rape conviction won't help ANYTHING and since they generally had permission it would be pointless.

starburst
01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
the problem now isn't Casey, it's the story that he wasn't the father, but that it was someone working on her show--someone who there would be NO debate over whether or not it was rape. A lot of news sources seem to believe that her "live in boyfriend" was just a convient cover up, especially considering she had said in several recent interviews that she didn't have a boyfriend at all.