View Full Version : Tension help / advice for a new crocheter

12-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Good evening! I started knitting in late Sept. and decided that I wanted to learn to crochet as well. I am in the process of making DH the Afghan Squared (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70129AD.html?noImages=0) afghan, which is one large Granny Square. It is going well, and I decided that I wanted to make the Granny Poncho and Cap (http://www.bernat.com/patternbook.php?PG=child&PID=64) for my DDs 5th birthday.

I went to the store today and bought my yarn, but am already having trouble with the pattern. I think I have the first two rounds figured out, but when I get to the3rd round, I keep messing up with the sc. I think I can figure that out with a bit of practice, though.

The big problem is that one motif is supposed to equal 3-1/2 ins. and mine equals 2-3/4 ins. I am using a sz. H hook like the pattern calls for and am not sure how I adjust. I know that I am a tight knitter. Can you be a tight crocheter (is that a word?) as well? PLEASE - any advice would be so welcomed. I am in love with this poncho and really want to make it work for my DD.

12-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Yes, you can be a tight crocheter. Just like you would with knitting, change the size of your hook to get your gauge. You're using an H hook, go up to an I and check your gauge again. Alternately you can try putting an extra round of sc on your motif to get it to the proper size.

I'd probably go up a hook size, and then on the motifs you've already done (if it doesn't look too weird), do an extra round of sc so that you can still use them.

12-21-2007, 08:16 AM
If you haven't done too many squares yet then I would frogg them as it will make it easier to sew together as the squares will line up better. But up a size hook is the way to go!

12-21-2007, 07:41 PM
TY both! I actually only made one motif so I could check the size. I went back to Michael's today, but they didn't have the next size up hook, so I'll try two sizes up (sz. J) and see what that does. I like the idea of trying swatches in different needle sizes to see exactly how it will look, and may neeed to invest in a set of crochet hooks for that very reason!

Merry Christmas, and TY again for the advice!