PDA

View Full Version : My First Yarn, and some questions

lauraknits
12-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Hi all! I have been knitting regularly for a year or so and have been wanting to spin. I got a Louet drop spindle starter kit but never got too far with it. I got frustrated.

My lovely DH just took me to buy a wheel for Christmas, and it is so much easier! I got a Lendrum and a lesson in the store, then took it home and started to play.

I am attaching pics of my first 2-ply. I am totally hooked on this.

Questions: If your skein seems balanced after you ply it, do you still wash it to set the twist or do you just go ahead and knit it up?

What is a fast flyer for?

I think that's it for now. Thanks to everyone who answers and to everyone who has posted as you have been the encouragement I needed to jump in to this!

Julie
12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi Laura! Great job on your first yarns! :)

I always wash and dry my yarn even when it's balanced. Most fibers change a bit when they're blocked -- so for the same reason that you block a knitted swatch to see how it will behave, it's a good idea to block your yarn. You get a more accurate WPI measurement that way.

mare-nitt
12-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Your yarn looks wonderful. I asked Santa for a Spining Wheel for Christmas, but I am not getting one.
I think it is a great art form, and relaxing. Keep spinning and sharing pics, I love to look at them.
Happy Spinning and Holidays

lauraknits
12-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for your comments! I feel sure the hand spindling would have gone much better if I had had a better spindle. Mine wouldn't keep spinning for very long at all.

Julie, thanks. I did wash my skeins, they are hanging dry right now.

Happy Holidays all!

callmesusan
12-25-2007, 09:24 PM
:cheering: Your first yarn looks fantastic!

Liliyarn
12-25-2007, 11:43 PM
Fast Flyer is for high WPI singles and lace. Some fibers like a lot of twist such as angora. It just saves time using the fast flyer so you don't have to treadle forever to get the right amount of twist.

mullerslanefarm
12-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Nice yarns, Laura! I have a twin to your 3rd picture that was corriedale dyed using alkanet root.
I always wash my finished yarn, wring gently and thwack on the counter. The thwacking (hitting skeined & tied yarn on top of counter so it makes a THWACK sound) helps distribute the twist.
I do not weight or block the yarn when drying. I leave it dry naturally. By weighting the yarn, you are stretching it, when you knit, crochet or weave with weighted yarn, you will need the same tension/weight on your finished piece when drying