PDA

View Full Version : Are You Making a New Year's Resolution?

auburnchick
12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
If so, do you wanna share?

I'm going to try to get back into healthier eating. I used to be very careful about what I ate, but I've gotten quite lazy lately. And I've found that my family follows my lead.

So, along with healthier eating, I'm also going to try not to nag my children. I've been told that I do this. I see it as reminding after they've forgotten to do what I ask. So, instead, I'll lay out my expectations, the repurcussions involved if they ignore what they are told to do, and go from there. Put more responsibility on their shoulders.

stitchwitch
12-29-2007, 08:40 PM
I need to lose 20 pounds, get into shape and quit eating junk because it's convenient. It will happen, it's been laziness that I've let myself get like this and I find I feel better when eating better and exercising. Sometimes I think I have a self destructive personality, actually I know I do.
The other thing I've made a resolution to do is quit cussing, I've gotten lax in my language skills and found that simply putting a curse word in a spot is easier than actually thinking of an applicable word. Makes you sound stupid and trashy, don't need to do it anymore, don't know why I ever started and it's gone on for too long. I cringe when I hear others cuss and I don't know why I did it. :shrug:
The last thing is to let go of some grudges I've had, that one might be the hardest but I realize they aren't doing me any good anymore and never really did in the first place.

boo1
12-29-2007, 08:48 PM
1) have a baby
2) learn to make socks
3) use up some of the yarn I'm hoarding
4) clean my house-get rid of/donate clothes, yarn, books, etc.
5) make some attempt to keep the house cleaner.

snowbear
12-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Change my lifestyle. That means, eating healthier, exercising, & all that goes w/ it.

Prioritize my life and set goals.

Realize I'm human, and when I get off target, accept it and get back on target.

But most important, Put the Golden Rule more into my life. I need to learn to smile, and overlook things that just don't matter.

Lisa_H-Town
12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Ahhh... I have an age old one: Quit Smoking! Trying to find out the best way for myself.... tried acupuncture... didn't work for me... There is a new med on the market... magnets, hypnotizism... Knitting has cut me down, BIG time... can't do both at the same time.

I have NO self control... what-so-ever!

I too "nag" but have to say I agree... If I ask you to do something, and you don't do it... you will hear about it until you do... (or until I do it!)

That would be it.... but that would be LARGE for me. I try not to put more on my plate than I can handle....

KnitClickChick
12-30-2007, 08:58 AM
My first priority this year is to get healthier. I've already started by stocking up only on healthy snacks like fruits and veggies instead of cookies and ice cream. I got myself a tread mill, which I have been using a few days a week so far but I am really going to make an effort to walk every single day. I've gotten very lazy over the years and it really shows! Also I want to quit smoking. I've already cut back on how much I smoke and switched to ultra lights. Just trying to do it gradually since cold turkey has failed several times before.

On a lighter note, I am going to try to finish one knitting project before I start others, use up the yarn in my stash before buying more, and get all my knitting stuff organized.

Good luck to all on your resolutions!

knitncook
12-30-2007, 11:05 AM
I resolved 12 years ago never to make another New Year's Resolution. It's the only one I've been able to keep to! :cool:

Seriously, winter is a horrible time to start that new fitness regime or diet. It's cold outside and the access to fresh fruits and veggies are scarce (or expensive). A better time for new beginnings is actually in the spring or summer. Fall and winter are not good times for drastic changes.

msmelody
12-30-2007, 11:16 AM
I have things I would like to accomplish in 2008.

1. Potty train DD.
2. Get through theory.
3. Knit from stash.
4. See more of Europe.
5. Lose 10 lbs of fat and gain 15 lbs of muscle.

That is not the order that things will happen, but that is the order I thought of them.

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm resolving to buy more yarn. I think I can keep that one. :mrgreen:

mommydearest
12-30-2007, 12:30 PM
One resolution so many make is to lose weight which I stopped making for myself but have decided to make it my NO. 1 priority. I've been going to LA Fitness for a couple of months and have lost a few inches but really haven't been eating well. I KNOW I can do it I just have to be the one to grocery shop again which I really HATE doing (shopping of any kind).

Stop cussing - anyone have a good way of doing this???

Stop nagging the kids - need a good way of doing this too since chore lists don't work.

Use my stash before buying more yarn (this is killing me already since I have a gift card for Michaels)

I'm sure I could think of more but I won't. 2008 Projects are in my signature.

Mary

HAPPY 2008 FELLOW KNITTERS

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 12:33 PM
On the cursing thing, how about dropping a dollar (or quarter, which is cheaper) into a container every time you substitute a regular word for a curse word? When you fill it up, you get to treat yourself to something nice.

snowbear
12-30-2007, 05:44 PM
I have done the jar thing,when I tried to quit nagging, but then used the money for a charity so I wouldn't be rewarding myself for doing something I was trying to quit that wasn't good.

I have used the jar as a positive when I was quitting smoking, I would put the price of a pack in it everytime I would normally buy a pack.. then used that money for something really awesome. I went for 6 weeks w/out buying cigs, and then went out and bought a really neat outfit...

***NOTICE****

The views expressed here are not in any way argumentative, or judgemental.. just a different view.

( a tongue in cheek joke between auburnchick & me)

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 06:00 PM
:thumbsup:

We've missed you, Snowbear! :hug:

mommydearest
12-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I think I will do a jar and either give it to charity or let my kids share it and add to their bank accounts. I think I will also do the jar for the nagging although if they don't do the required job/chore I will get to take a quarter away.

Thanks for the ideas.

Mary

BostonBecca
12-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Yes, I am only buying environmentally friendly and/or socially conscious yarns in 2008. I already try and live in an envrionmentally friendly way, but many yarns are not produced in environmentally friendly ways, they are damaging, and I don't want my hobby to hurt the environment.

Riss
12-30-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm starting a self portrait project, taking a picture of myself every day and posting it to my blog. Doesn't have to be my face, just some part of me. I've seen others do it, but wanted to start it on 1.1.08 so I can keep track easily. It should be fun at least..

I broke my leg back in April, and would love to get back to the shape I was in before I fell. I had given up caffeine, was drinking v8 every day for veggies, and was working my butt off taking care of horses. So I guess kicking the caffeine is the next big step. The withdrawl is horrid.. but worth it.

I think thats about it.. :)

lelvsdgs
12-31-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't make resolutions because I am never able to keep them. I do try to reassess my goals for the year but not until the actual 1st.
Ideas for goals:
Bust my stash
Replenish my stash
Survive my daughter leaving the nest... (is this actually possible?)
Move out of this place before 2008 ends... hopefully by the end of summer...
Improve my knitting skills.
Write more.
Face my fear and do it anyway...:)

stitchwitch
12-31-2007, 05:13 PM
So I guess kicking the caffeine is the next big step. The withdrawl is horrid.. but worth it.
:)

I was a horrible Mountain Dew addict. I was really bad off. I went cold turkey, the only way to go in my opinion, like booze one drink is too many and you find yourself saying I'll just drink one and it will help, it doesn't. I swear, the first couple of days I thought I was going to die, I had the worst headache, was freaking out like crazy and really had thought of driving to Taco Bell and sticking my head under the Mountain Dew spout. Instead of being all sluggish I was hyped up and shaky, my husband thought it was funny but I was seriously withdrawling.
It's worth it, I haven't had caffeine in 4 years and I feel so much better. I'd do it again, even knowing how bad it was because the health advantages are so great. Good luck, you can do it.

mwhite
01-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Ahhh... I have an age old one: Quit Smoking! Trying to find out the best way for myself.... tried acupuncture... didn't work for me... There is a new med on the market... magnets, hypnotizism... Knitting has cut me down, BIG time... can't do both at the same time.

I have NO self control... what-so-ever!

I too "nag" but have to say I agree... If I ask you to do something, and you don't do it... you will hear about it until you do... (or until I do it!)

That would be it.... but that would be LARGE for me. I try not to put more on my plate than I can handle....

I'm with ya! I've purchased and am taking the Chantix. Very good at helping control smoking. There are so many reasons to quit and so few to keep smoking.... I've not set a quit date but would love to buddy with someone if you're interested! Mary

knitgal
01-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't like to call them "resolutions" but there are things that I would like to do this year. I divided them up into "knitting" and "life", but I know that in reality knitting IS life!

Knitting "Resolutions"
-learn to knit socks
-start Christmas knitting early
-knit a sweater
-visit as many yarn stores as possible

Life "Resolutions"
-Learn to drive (yes, I'm 22 and can't drive, it's sad)
-Get back into pilates, which I love
-keep up the healthy eating that I started last year
-don't nag DBF
-keep up marks in grad program (and graduate)
-get a good job

msoebel
01-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Stop cussing - anyone have a good way of doing this???
Mary

I had a problem with cussing in high school and the only thing that worked for me was asking my friends to punch me in the arm when I did it. It was surprisingling effective!:teehee:

Now, I try really hard not to use vulgar slang (it's hard, because I spend so much time with teens!). I don't really want my four year old dd to walk around saying things like "That sucks", "CRAP" or "I'm really pissed off now" or even, "Sexy", but she will if I do.

So what did I do? I asked her to remind me when I say those words. I still slip and use them in front of her, and when I do, she reminds me in her best grown up voice (it's really very stern!) "Mommy, we don't use that word." I'm definitely using it a lot less!

I guess accountability is the best way to quit!

cdjack
01-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Let's see..

Things that I hope to get done this year:

1. get pregnant (so my dm and dmil will quit asking ;) )
2. seam things so that I will have less almost FO's laying around
3. knit things out of my comfort zone
4. be more consistent at recycling
5. be better at keeping in touch with family

Better go get started...:teehee:

Chel
01-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Some peopel do a Wish list.... I did a I.S.H. list. Its to help my self esteem, help me to become more goal oriented, help me let go of Daniel and move forward. Not move on, because I'm doing that. Life goes on, you just get dragged with it. I mean intentionally choosing to move forward. I'm starting to think I am ready for that. Anyway, onto my list.

The I.S.H. List

(In Search of Happiness)

Accomplish-Actively set goals and keep to them. Strive, meet, exceed.

Cherish-Keep a special place in your heart for where and who you have been. Remember that chapters past are a part of your life, but you need to actively write the rest of your story.

Distinguish-Divide life up into what is important and what is not. This is applicable in all areas including material possessions, thought processes, memories, etc.

Relinquish-There are things that just can’t be changed. Let go.

Replenish-For all the unhealthy, hurtful things you let go of, fill that void with something worthwhile.

Embellish-Go beyond what you know. Museums. Places of learning. Expand your horizons.

English-work on verbal and writing skills. Choose to speak English, not American.

Establish-guidelines for how you want life to play out. This means goals, both short and long term as well as rules for living.

Finish-Complete. Follow through. Culminate.

Nourish-Body and mind. Get healthy. Read. Grow. Think.

Reestablish-Find the missing parts of your self and connect with them.

Astonish-Review. Compare where you have been to where you are currently. Savor the moment. Look ahead and feel assured you will move forward.

mrspotter-tru
01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I hate making resolutions. I never fulfuill, follow, or reach any of them. I fail by the end of January, and then I am always saying "I will try again next year" which gives me 11 months to make excuses. So I am going to try to live the following philosophy "Don't be so hard on yourself." That is in everything from my knittng to my marriage. I think i am just to wound, and it is leading to other things.

Anyway.....is that too much about me?

Mulderknitter
01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I would love to quit smoking this year too. One thing that helped is that we don't smoke in the house, we have to go out to the porch, so the temptation isn't really there in front of you all the time, and it makes it uncomfortable to smoke, which sucks and makes me smoke less.
I would also love to drop about 15 pounds. Sounds like not a lot, but it's the butt and belly pounds, which suck. First step on this is drink less soda. A lot less soda. Drink water. Drink juice. NOT SODA. I don't need the calories or the sugar. I also want to try to eat SOMETHING for breakfast so that I'm not ravenous at lunchtime and eating everything. If I have yogurt or something then I don't have to have a sandwich AND chips. I can just eat the sandwich. I don't know if this will help me drop any pounds, but it sure seems like a healthier way to eat at any rate.
These are just things that I am always thinking about, just kinda have a kick in the booty being new year and all. But, I am not a person to really be hard on myself, so these are merely "suggestions":roflhard: to me.

auburnchick
01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
My mil gave me a book that a lady in her church wrote. It's fabulous -- stuff I already know but need to be reminded about.

It's called Forget the Die-Its -- Learn to Live-it (http://www.amazon.com/Forget-Die-Its-Learn-Live-Karen/dp/1600372821/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199320213&sr=8-1).

The book goes over basic nutrition. She divides the book into 12 chapters...one for each month...and encourages readers to incorporate each lifestyle change highlighted in the chapters. The goal, of course, is that by the time the year is over, you will be living the healthy lifestyle changes instead of doing crash diets that fail after a short time.

I'm working on January, which is to drink more water. She says our goal should be to drink at least a gallon of water a day. I'm thinking...wow...that's a lot of water! But, I've been chugging...about 3/4 of that amount...and peeing like crazy. But, I think drinking so much water helped me get over a cold very quickly last week. Water flushes your system of toxins and replaces what we think are hunger pangs with satisfaction of thirst.

Anyhow, I just wanted to encourage y'all. I'm trying to return to my old healthy eating habits and backslid (already) today. I was starving because I typically do not eat breakfast or lunch, and by 2:00pm, I was famished. I splurged and got a big meal at Chick-fil-A, along with a milk shake. I couldn't even finish the sandwich or shake. I'm disappointed, but I know I'm already starting to turn a corner mentally since my heart did not seem to be into the meal once I purchased it. Regardless of whether you need to lose weight or not (I don't, fortunately), healthy eating should be a priority.

Check out the book! It's really very good. Easy to understand too..unlike some health books.

Mulderknitter
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
I agree, it's not so much about the losing weight, but the mind-set of "I do not need to eat..."

knitwit628
01-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I would like to gain weight this year. I am underweight and am starting to become worried. I want to look healthy and feel better about myself. Maybe I can try to boost my self esteem this year, but I doubt it'll happen... Resolutions are hard for me to keep too.

auburnchick
01-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I agree, it's not so much about the losing weight, but the mind-set of "I do not need to eat..."

And the "why's" of not eating such-and-such. If you look at it from the point of view of how various foods affect your body...internally...then you really want to eat better.