PDA

View Full Version : When I Was A Kid....

saracidaltendencies
01-10-2008, 01:12 AM
I saw this on another forum and thought it may be funny to add here. What you do is just post something you used to do or think, as a kid, that you now know was completely silly and/or irrational.

One of the things I posted is:

When I was little, I used to think "canned laughter" (the laughing in the background on tv shows and cartoons such as The Flintstones) was the people who were watching the show at the same time and the speaker on the TV also served as a microphone...So, when I'd watch a cartoon or show with canned laughter, I'd put my mouth up to the speaker on the TV and laugh as loudly as I could so everyone would hear me... http://209.85.48.12/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jennyloves2knit
01-10-2008, 04:28 AM
so funny :rofl:

Sharly
01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
That's a really good one!!

Well, being a life-long animal lover, of course one of my misconceptions as a child would have to do with animals. My maiden name is Shepherd, so I thought the only dogs we could have were German Shepherds. At the time I was about 5 and we happened to have a German Shepherd, so that just reinforced that fact in my mind! I never stopped to think it was odd that the Catos had a Collie, or that the Smiths had a Beagle!!

saracidaltendencies
01-10-2008, 05:14 PM
LOL! Oh the things we tell ourselves when we are little...lol

Ingrid
01-10-2008, 07:15 PM
I was just telling someone today that when I was a kid, when I heard euthanasia mentioned, I thought it concerned young people in China. :teehee:

kellyh57
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I was just telling someone today that when I was a kid, when I heard euthanasia mentioned, I thought it concerned young people in China. :teehee:

Me too! My friend was doing a report on it and I thought it was a cute idea but couldn't figure out the controversial part!

Kelly

scout52
01-10-2008, 07:37 PM

make that me three!! :rofl: and when i was like 3 i thought all cats were girls and all dogs were boys.

cdjack
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I thought cotton balls were picked right off the plant.
Oh, and I thought that when my Mom told me to get in the car because we were going to go run some errands, she was talking about my little sister. My sister's name is Erin. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why people were always "running Erins".

bethany
01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
there were several deer (roadkill) on the roads and my mom said "someone really needs to call the DNR." I asked "What's the DNR??.....Dead and Runover?"

saracidaltendencies
01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Another thing I thought when I was little....I could never understand why people couldn't drink and drive. I never saw the big deal in drinking a soda or water while you were driving! Needless to say I was too young to even really know about alcohol...LOL

Jen17
01-10-2008, 11:45 PM

:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: That's the funniest thing I heard all week!!!!!!!!

HollyP
01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Re: the drinking and driving I laughed so hard my water came out of my nose! I had a fit once because my Dad used to 'drink and drive' He always drank Coke on long road trips. I knew you weren't supposed to drive with people who had been drinking. I absolutely had a melt down in a gas station. When my Mom asked me what was wrong I pointed to my Dad's coke can that he had just bought and said you aren't allowed to drink and drive! He could kill us all!

I also remember that thinking that all dog were boys and all cats were girls. I was so confused when my neighbors dog had puppies!:teehee:

auburnchick
01-11-2008, 12:31 AM
When I was a kid, I remember watching my first Dukes of Hazzard episode. My sister and I were young and had never watched it, so we only heard Bo's name mentioned. We couldn't figure out his brother's name, so we assumed his name was Arrow. We called him that for a season or two. :teehee:

I also remember, as a young child, hearing that God was everywhere. When that fact hit my young brain, I was terrified of sitting on him, since He was supposed to be everywhere.

saracidaltendencies
01-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Re: the drinking and driving I laughed so hard my water came out of my nose! I had a fit once because my Dad used to 'drink and drive' He always drank Coke on long road trips. I knew you weren't supposed to drive with people who had been drinking. I absolutely had a melt down in a gas station. When my Mom asked me what was wrong I pointed to my Dad's coke can that he had just bought and said you aren't allowed to drink and drive! He could kill us all!

I also remember that thinking that all dog were boys and all cats were girls. I was so confused when my neighbors dog had puppies!:teehee:

LOL! That is too funny!! Glad I'm not the only one who thought that!

kellyh57
01-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Let's see...

I thought babies were cut out of your tummy and couldn't figure out why people were always running to get to the hospital to get it cut out.

The first time I saw a VCR, my brother convinced me that it was like a mini-video camera and Grandpa & Grandma would hear everything and see everything we did in that room because they were taping.

I thought Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers were real and lived right around the corner. I was always looking for them and wanted to walk on and be on TV too.

I thought when people said they were flying somewhere, that they were literally flying. I envisioned these huge wings they put on and flapped away.

I could go on, but I've embarrased myself enough for the day.

Oh, and I believed the same thing about drinking and driving. Someone should really clear that up for little kids!

Kelly

iwouldratherbeknitting
01-11-2008, 05:34 AM
I lived at the lake when I was young and I really thought that the big sand crystals were actually diamonds that hadn't been polished yet and the reason that the adults never saw them-- was because they were too tall to notice them.

I was probably about 5 when I thought this... and believed it for years.

sylvia
01-11-2008, 09:06 AM
when i was little my parents were always returning me to some department store because i was bad
and i really believed that because i never went shopping with
them because i thought iwas going to the land of the returned
sylvia

msoebel
01-11-2008, 12:47 PM
I was convinced that my dolls came to life at night. And while I loved them during the day, I was sure that they weren't nice.

I always had to have covers on...even in the summer...because for some reason I thought that they would believe I was one of "them" then and wouldn't kill me.

I was such a warped and morbid child.:??

saracidaltendencies
01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
LOL!

Yeah, I seemed to have a problem with paranoia when I was a child. I thought really mean Doberman Pinschers would hide under my bed at night, waiting for me to get up so they could attack me...I used to be terrified of having to get up in the middle of the night for the bathroom! I'd do the whole jump on my bed from a foot away so they couldn't bite my ankles...LOL!

I also used to think my mom and dad hid tape recorders all over the house so they would know what I was up to when they were gone...But, I wasn't a bad kid! I didn't really do anything that would warrant my parents spying on me...I mean regular kid stuff, but nothing really bad! Of course, there were no tape recorders, I was just paranoid! lol

Eccie
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
When we first got a VCR my dad told me to be quiet while it was on on my voice would be on the tape. It's works that way with tape recorders, how was I to know different?
I used to sleep with my arm folded under my head and my hand would be under my hair. I used to pull my hair to make sure it was mine and that a werewolf hadn't crawled into bed behind me.
I overheard one of my mother's movie once. The character said something like "you'll never get that blood off your hands" I actually thought, for a long time, that blood wouldn't wash off.

Krystal
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
:teehee:

Ohh that's too funny. When I was 3 -4 my mom got pulled into one of those R.I.D.E programs. (When the cops kinda baracade a small section of road and you HAVE to stop and talk to the nice officer and answer his questions before moving on.)

Well my mom pulls up and talks to the officer and he asks if she has been drinking at all? And my mom says no. Haha I piped right up saying, "Mommmyyy You are LYING! You have a drink right there! *points to coke can* You can't lie. Lying is bad!" My mom leaned back and said "Krystal, he means alcohol drinks. Coke is ok." The officer was busting a gut laughing.

I also believed that ear wax was caterpillars and when my heart was beating it meant I was hungry. I had one of those Fisher Price doctor kits with the stethoscope. I had no idea my heart didn't stop beating haha. So whenever I thought I was hungry I listened to my heart and it was beating. My mom set me straight one day when we were laying on the couch, and I was resting my head on her chest. I heard her heart beat and jumped up and said "We need to eat! You are hungry! I can hear your heart beating." haha

saracidaltendencies
01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
:rofl:

yarnrainbow
01-11-2008, 05:23 PM
When I was a kid we used to have to use a semi-rural road to get to a specific store my mom patronized very rarely. Well, this road was really twisty and was cut into the side of a "mountain" with a pretty sheer drop-off on one side. There was a DO NOT PASS sign at one point on this road. I thought you weren't supposed to go past the point where the sign was posted. Every time Mom drove past the sign, I was terrified and just waited for the horrible calamity to befall us that had caused the sign to be put up in the first place. I was always terrified! One night, my mom noticed me huddled in the passenger seat and asked me what was wrong. When I explained why I was near tears with fright, she laughed gently and explained that the sign meant you weren't supposed to pass other cars on the road at that point because it would be dangerous. Jeez, the things you can come up with as a kid!

knitgal
01-12-2008, 04:47 PM
When I was younger, I thought that when they asked you at the grocery store if you wanted "cash back" that it meant they were going to give you free money. I never understood why my parents didn't take advantage of it!

saracidaltendencies
01-13-2008, 01:47 AM
LOL! Ahhh, wouldn't that be great??? I'd be shopping every day! Er, yeah, I need a MILLION dollars back! :p

aslangirl
01-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah, those "Do not Pass" signs confused me, too!

Also, when my father was a child, there was a family in his neighborhood that had a bunch of...how shall I say it..."hygenically challenged" kids. Well, when I was little, my grandmother used to say things to me like "Wash your hands/tuck in your shirt, etc.-- you look like a X------ ( the family's last name). For the longest time (like, seriously, I was in college!) I thought that the name she was using was a term for a dirty, unwashed child--like a street urchin that might be in a Dickens book. Now my whole family teases me about that.

Lindsey H
01-16-2008, 05:43 PM
We live in an area with many bridges and tunnels. When I was little my dad told me that the puddles in the tunnels were from the tunnels opening to let submarines through much like draw bridges open to let ships pass. I knew good and well that my daddy :inlove: liked to tease but at the time it seemed like a logical explanation ;). I miss him :sad: .

BinkyKat
01-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Before I ever knew what a cesarean was, I thought to have a baby you went to the hospital to have an operation. I guess I was on the right track...
I thought that when the tv went off, the people on the shows went home. I apparently thought they were there to entertain ME :roflhard:
I also thought if you poke your finger on a map or globe, you could cause an earthquake in that area. Naturally I never did it where I live!
If we were bad on car trips, mom and dad would "threaten" to leave us behind. I thought there was some Southfork looking big white house off the road that was a halfway house for left-behind-bad-cartrip-kids.:pout:
When my dad would leave to go somewhere, I always had to know where and he would say, "I'm going to Timbuctu." I was probably in Jr. High before I realized it really was a place, I thought he was pulling my leg (he didn't really go there, but I thought he made the name of the place up). I always asked him to bring me some Juicy Fruit gum when he came back...and he always did!

saracidaltendencies
01-16-2008, 11:53 PM
LOL! These are too funny!

Ok, thought of a couple more.

I used to think that when a woman had a baby shower or a wedding shower, all the people got together to take a shower together! :teehee: It made sense to me, since it was a shower...haha

Also, I used to think that when a woman had a yeast infection, well, bread formed...:rofl:

Darcia
01-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Here's one.
When I was little, I LOVED to roll. Like a log, roll everywhere.

One day, in the winter I rolled all the way home from school. All the way across the school field, across the street, down the sidewalk, through the Ally, across another street and all the way down our block home. I remember I was laughing the whole time.

When I got home, my mother opened the door and said what happened to you, why are you so dirty?

threesmom
01-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Mine's pretty lame ... I thought only girls could eat grilled cheese - I thought it was girl cheese I had a fit when I saw a neighbor kid eating one.

And you know the days when the clouds are all big and puffy in a blue sky? I always felt sorry for the little puffs off by themselves - I thought they were cloud babies who had gotten lost.

Oh, and once, in an effort to get me to keep my shoes on outside, my dad told me worms could bore in through my bare feet. I don't know if it kept my shoes on, but I believed that one for years :oo:

feministmama
01-17-2008, 01:11 PM

There's a DAvid Sedaris story called "the youth in Asia" where he talks about this very thing

HollyP
01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I just thought of this one when I heard this song on a commercial. I was convinced the song Secret Agent Man was Secret Asian Man. I was very confused how someone could be Asian in secret.

BinkyKat
01-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh, and another thing...
I started taking the bus to school as early as kindergarten age. I walked 3 blocks to one public school where the bus took us to another one a mile away that had the kindergarten. Mom told me to walk straight there and not "dilly dally." I thought that was a dance you did that made you late for things. So once in a while I thought I would tempt fate and do a little jig on the way down the street. I made it to school on time so I thought her advice was bogus. :roflhard:
Of course not once was I concerned the neighbors would catch me dancing to some silent song in my head. :teehee:

Darcia
01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I used to think CCR were singing 'There's a bathroom on the right' in Bad Moon on the Rise.

Knitting_Guy
01-21-2008, 09:38 PM
When I was really little I thought eggs came from rabbits because of the whole Easter Bunny thing.

get_her_donne
01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Whenever I saw a fitting room in a store, I read it as 'fainting room,' and I had a hard time figuring out why people would go to a fainting room if they didn't know they were going to faint in the first place!

Darcia
01-22-2008, 02:27 PM
In the bathroom, we had a three-way mirror. Either end could bend. I would bend both the sides in and would peak inside 'Mirror land'.

I thought that the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny, cupid all lived at the North Pole and they would have regular meeting with Santa Clause.

cindycactus
01-22-2008, 03:01 PM
When I was about 4 years old a friend of the family died. I was told about it and that my parents were going to a wake for him. I thought that they were going to try to wake him up and if they couldn't then they would be going to the funeral. :roflhard:

saracidaltendencies
01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
:roflhard:

Yeah, it wasn't until I was older I understood the whole "wake" thing...lol

Ok, thought of another...Does anyone remember when mattresses had those little silver circles with the small holes on top, on the sides of the mattress? It looked like the top of a small microphone. Anyway, I used to think they were actually microphones and would talk into my mom and dad's mattress! :rofl:

Lindsey H
01-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I thought of another one. When I was little my parents listened to country music. This was like 35 years ago so we are talking Tammy Wynette, Waylon Jennings and, well you get the picture. I used to watch HEE HAW but don't tell anyone. Well anyway, Kenny Rogers sang a song "Lucille". The lyrics are "Oh why did you leave me Lucille with 5 hungry children and a crop in the fields". Well for the longest time I thought he was saying
Five Hundred children :rofl: .

gatorjade
01-25-2008, 08:39 PM
When I was little, one of my favorite songs was "Islands of Seals." (I learned several years later that the accurate title is "Our Lips are Sealed.")

I was also convinced that the mermaid/scuba diver figurines in fish tanks swam around, but only if they thought that they weren't being watched. I would spend entire afternoons trying to "catch them in the act!"

Darcia
01-25-2008, 09:05 PM
I used to listen to allot of my parents records and do dance routines on the front lawn. Some of my favs were Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass, Sound of Music Soundtrack and Dolly Parton.
The funny thing is, I would use my mother's old nighties.

ladyjessica
01-25-2008, 11:13 PM
My sister shared this story with me at Christmas. When I was little, my mom stayed home all day and my grandmother lived with us, so they spent a good part of the afternoon watching soap operas. And, since I was here, I watched them too. Well, we have one of those big hard plastic Santas that people put in their yards at Christmas, and apparently when I was about 4 or 5, we had just eaten Christmas Eve dinner, and I got up and started putting on my boots and my coat. My mom asked me where I was going and I replied, "I'm going to make love to Santa Claus." So, then I proceeded to traipse outside and kiss Santa on the cheek. :aww: I guess those soaps really can rub off on a person, even if they don't understand what's going on.

Also, I was obsessed with Little House on the Prairie, and when I was little my mom took me out shopping one day. The lady who waited on us asked me my name, and I told her my name was Laura Ingalls. She was either dim or very kind, because she told me that was a very pretty name.

saracidaltendencies
01-26-2008, 01:13 AM
My sister shared this story with me at Christmas. When I was little, my mom stayed home all day and my grandmother lived with us, so they spent a good part of the afternoon watching soap operas. And, since I was here, I watched them too. Well, we have one of those big hard plastic Santas that people put in their yards at Christmas, and apparently when I was about 4 or 5, we had just eaten Christmas Eve dinner, and I got up and started putting on my boots and my coat. My mom asked me where I was going and I replied, "I'm going to make love to Santa Claus." So, then I proceeded to traipse outside and kiss Santa on the cheek. :aww: I guess those soaps really can rub off on a person, even if they don't understand what's going on.

:roflhard::roflhard:

knitncook
01-26-2008, 12:04 PM
I used to think that dill pickles on hamburgers were made in a factory and were plastic. Which is really funny because I knew my grandmother made dill pickles from cucumbers, but thought the ones in the stores were plastic. They looked too uniform and perfect to be "real."

Samsam
01-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Me too! My friend was doing a report on it and I thought it was a cute idea but couldn't figure out the controversial part!

Kelly

Wow I thought the same thing two weeks ago :doh:

scout52
01-27-2008, 08:42 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Since we are talking about Santa, I'll share my Santa story. Well since I grew up in NYC we didn't have a chimney obviously since we lived in an apt. Well i got upset after my mother read up the night before christmas on the night before christmas (i was like 3) because we didn't have a chimney. So i made her leave the window open without the fire escape (our safety first) to make sure Santa could come in and not have to break in the front door. I had her do it every year until i realized Santa didn't exist. She was so sweet. Same for the easter bunny.

starburst
01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
I used to think CCR were singing 'There's a bathroom on the right' in Bad Moon on the Rise.

I thought that same thing! I always assumed that he was trying to say that the guy he was singing to would be stuck there a while, so if he needed it, there was the bathroom.

fargo_knitting
01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
My mother convinced me if I ate raw cookie dough, cake batter, or brownie batter I would get worms. I still feel really sneaky when I lick the beaters!

I insisted all of my stuffed animals sleep on the bed with me so I didn't hurt any of their feelings by leaving them on the floor or in my closet.

Growing up Catholic, my brother and I received alot of religious items from church. We would arrange them nicely on our dressers. One day my mom asked us to put some of them away because it was looking too cluttered. We both said "You can't put Jesus in a drawer. We will probably go to Hell!".

This is really gross.....I often saw "out of order" signs in the girls bathroom at school. I was convinced a person could only go #1 in public bathrooms and #2 broke the toilets.

starburst
01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I used to think that Sigfriend and Roy and Sigmund Freud were all the same person

Sharly
01-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I used to think that Sigfriend and Roy and Sigmund Freud were all the same person
:roflhard: Cute! And, on some level, probably not too far off!!

evona
01-29-2008, 07:45 PM
make that me three!! :rofl: and when i was like 3 i thought all cats were girls and all dogs were boys.

lol - me too!!

OK - when I was a kid I thought that you could only drive during the day and when I looked out the window at night and saw cars go by I thought they were driven by ghosts!! :out: I guess I forgot about all those times we drove to my aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving and didn't even leave until it was good and dark . . .lol

evona
01-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh - and here's another one that I think some people from Southern California can appreciate. There's a car dealership in Southern California called Cal Worthington and the jingle in the commercials used to go "If you want a brand new truck go see Cal. If you wanna save a buck go see Cal" For the longest time I thought they said "If you want a brand new truck pussy cow. If you wanna save a buck pussy cow" It made no sense whatsoever, but I figured it had to do with the fact that he always had animals in the commercials. :aww:

scout52
01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Evona that Cal Worthington one is HILARIOUS!!:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I moved to So Cal in 1999 so his commercials now do not have animals. the other day I was So SHOCKED to see a commercial of his without him in it. i was like did he DIE? but nope the next one he was back.

That reminds me of the Money Store commercials. When I was like 3 or 4 I really thought the Money Store had money, like behind the counter was stacks of money and coins. so i didn't understand what you bought the money with. Did you bring in food or furniture? it made no sense to me. did you buy money with money? i was so confused.

knittingymnast
01-31-2008, 09:04 PM
lol :rolfhard:

starburst
02-01-2008, 04:19 AM
When I was in the 6th grade I thought that teachers had a way of telling how long ago you had written your homework. I thought that there was something in the pencil led that would let them know if you had just finished your homework before class and I was terrified that I would get in trouble for finishing homework right before it was due

BinkyKat
02-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Oh, and another thing...
I saw a sign once beside the road that said, "Clean dirt for sale." :?? I couldn't understand why mom and dad laughed when I asked if Dirty Dirt was free. :teehee:

saracidaltendencies
02-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Had to revive this as I thought of another today as I was cleaning the coffee pot...

Ok, when I was little, I used to think only grown ups could drink coffee and that when I was old enough to drink coffee, I'd be all grown up! HA! I remember feeling sooo cool when my mom and dad would put like 2 drops of coffee in a glass of milk for me...LOL!

feministmama
02-25-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm sure someone said this already but I used to think when yout urned the TV off and went away for a while and then turned it back on again it would pick up right where you left off.

We used to have an old black and white Motorola set with a dial you had to get up and turn yourself :thud:and sometimes the knob would fall off and you had to use a set of pliers to turn the channels. Then we had bunny ears with tinfoil on them to get better reception.

I loved the little white dot the TV made you turned it off. I would stare at it till it completely disappeared

kellyh57
02-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I just thought of another one. The first few times I heard the expression "prima donna" I thought they were saying pre-Madonna. I figured it was something to do with the singer or something like that. I never could figure out what it meant until I saw it written and realized it had nothing to do with Madonna!

Kelly

starburst
02-26-2008, 01:54 AM
I thought that too.

I also thought that those orange balls on the powerlines were basketballs that people had thrown so high that they had gotten stuck

Debkcs
02-26-2008, 04:26 AM
Another good thread, thanks!

I thought those little people ON the TV were IN the TV. I asked my Dad to open it up and let them out of the tubes (I'm old). He remembered me standing in back of it looking inside the little holes, trying to see them.

laptop_knitter
02-26-2008, 08:11 AM
My mum told us that the icecream van was actually the daytime hideout of the boogeyman. So whenever we heard the music coming, we'd scream and run inside so he wouldn't get us,thus saving a lot of money.

She also said that our birthdays always fell on Saturdays. We only realised what was happening when some friends of ours had a birthday on a Tuesday.

saracidaltendencies
02-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I just thought of another one. The first few times I heard the expression "prima donna" I thought they were saying pre-Madonna. I figured it was something to do with the singer or something like that. I never could figure out what it meant until I saw it written and realized it had nothing to do with Madonna!

Kelly

LOL! I thought that as well!

Sunshine's Mom
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
My sister just reminded me of this the other day:

When I was about 8 or 9 years old we were watching the news and, apparently, while Pope John Paul II was visiting the US, a crazy woman tried to attack him. They kept saying "a buffalo-woman attacked the Pope." I was so confused. I couldn't figure out what a "buffalo-woman" was. My parents and sister asked why I was so focused on the TV. I said, "I'm waiting for them to show a picture of the buffalo-woman, I've never seen one before."

My mom finally figured out my confusion and explained to me that there was no such thing as a "buffalo-woman". She was a woman from Buffalo.

We still crack-up about that one!!!

saracidaltendencies
02-26-2008, 12:06 PM
:roflhard::roflhard:

KniftyKnitterGal
02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
I couple of years ago my mom got pregnant and this was her boyfriends first child. So he was very excited, but we didn't know how little he knew about how a baby grows up. So one day he asks this question to my mom, "So when the baby is born how long will it take until her eyes open, about six weeks?" We can't stop laughing about that one, even though he denies it. :roflhard: :roflhard:

campbellmom549
02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
When I was about 4 years old a friend of the family died. I was told about it and that my parents were going to a wake for him. I thought that they were going to try to wake him up and if they couldn't then they would be going to the funeral. :roflhard:

Did you know that's how a wake got it's name? There's the story that back in Ireland in the old days people would get very drunk and contract lead poisoning from the tankards and enter a catatonic state. People thought they were dead and would bury them. After a while, they started running out of ground to bury people, so they dug up old graves to make new ones and discovered scratch marks on the inside of the coffins. So they started taking the passed out people and lay them on a table and make as much noise as they could to try and "wake" them. Don't know how true that is, but it's a neat story.

So when I was little, I thought that when people were saying one-and-a-half or an hour-and-a-half, they were really saying one-in-a-half and an hour-in-a-half. So if you wanted go to somewhere in 30 minutes, you said you wanted to leave in an hour-in-a-half.

I knew about tax adding 9% to your bill, but I thought that if you bought everything separate, you ended up paying more than if you bought it all together.

I also used to ponder where exactly the universe sits. I mean, everything exists because it exists somewhere. So where is the universe? And if the universe has no end, how can it exist? (I know, deep question for a 7yo.) It used to depress me thinking that we didn't really exist therefore nothing we did mattered and our life had no purpose.

sylvia
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
lindsay
i wasnt little when i thought kenny rogers said 500 children
i am not crazy anyway
sylvia:teehee:

sylvia
02-26-2008, 01:35 PM
you guys are to funny
i have never laughed so hard
i can barely type these few words
the tears are flowing
thanks for the laughs:rofl:

nonny2t
02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Only the oldsters will remember this one:

When I was little I thought Miss Susie from Romper Room really could see through her magic mirror and would call out names of children she could see through her mirror. I watched everyday waiting for her to call my name. She never did call Modonna, wonder why??? :teehee:

This is a little off topic, but this freaked me out. I usually go by my nickname Donna. I was a big fan of Richard Simmons back in his real early 80's heyday and had bought all his VCR sweatin' to the oldies tapes. I had ordered his new deal a meal kit and it included some other stuff and a sweatin' tape. I took it to my sister's house and we were in our shorts and such all ready for our exercise. The beginning of the tape started and he comes in and does his little warm up then looks right at the camera and asks, "Donna, I see you workin'!" or something like that. I said to my sister,"Did you hear what he said?" We reran the tape a bazillion times, but he does say Donna. I don't know whom he was talking about, but it spooked my sister and I so much we went back to the old tapes! :rofl: :rofl:

nonny2t
02-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I thought of another one. When I was little my parents listened to country music. This was like 35 years ago so we are talking Tammy Wynette, Waylon Jennings and, well you get the picture. I used to watch HEE HAW but don't tell anyone. Well anyway, Kenny Rogers sang a song "Lucille". The lyrics are "Oh why did you leave me Lucille with 5 hungry children and a crop in the fields". Well for the longest time I thought he was saying
Five Hundred children :rofl: .

Boy, that Lucille gets around! :roflhard:

nonny2t
02-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Oh - and here's another one that I think some people from Southern California can appreciate. There's a car dealership in Southern California called Cal Worthington and the jingle in the commercials used to go "If you want a brand new truck go see Cal. If you wanna save a buck go see Cal" For the longest time I thought they said "If you want a brand new truck pussy cow. If you wanna save a buck pussy cow" It made no sense whatsoever, but I figured it had to do with the fact that he always had animals in the commercials. :aww:

We lived in San Diego in the early 70's and I remember those, Cal Worthington and his dog spot and it was all kinds of animals.

nonny2t
02-26-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm sure someone said this already but I used to think when yout urned the TV off and went away for a while and then turned it back on again it would pick up right where you left off.

We used to have an old black and white Motorola set with a dial you had to get up and turn yourself :thud:and sometimes the knob would fall off and you had to use a set of pliers to turn the channels. Then we had bunny ears with tinfoil on them to get better reception.

I loved the little white dot the TV made you turned it off. I would stare at it till it completely disappeared

Those were the days when tv stations signed off with the flag and the national anthem, remember?

starburst
03-06-2008, 11:36 PM
I just found the website www.iusedtobelieve.com and it has thousands of things that people used to believe when they were kids. some of them are hilarious

evona
03-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Only the oldsters will remember this one:

When I was little I thought Miss Susie from Romper Room really could see through her magic mirror and would call out names of children she could see through her mirror. I watched everyday waiting for her to call my name. She never did call Modonna, wonder why??? :teehee:

:rofl: I used to wonder why she never called my name either!!!! and I resent being called an oldster!!!! :roflhard:

aethra
03-08-2008, 09:59 AM
I used to be sure that Thailand was a cold country... which is why they had all the spicy food, to warm them up.

Also, I thought the Netherlands was an island. I knew about the dykes and such and that the land was lower than the sea - I just didn't imagine there being a bit where the dykes ended, so it was just a circle in the middle of the sea where all the water had been pumped out of. And there was a plug in the middle in case water did get in. I was very confused when my parents bought me an atlas. :teehee:

evona
03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Here's another one I just thought of. I was born in Hollywood and basically have lived in the Los Angeles area all my life. When I was little I knew I lived in Hollywood, that my aunt and uncle lived in Canoga Park that my dad worked in Burbank, that my doctor was in Los Feliz, etc. I just didn't know that was all part of Los Angeles. One day I heard a story about Los Angeles and it sounded so great I really wanted to go there. I asked my dad if we could pleeeeaaassse go to Los Angeles and was very confused when he laughed and said we're in it. I wouldn't believe it. I didn't feel like where I lived was anything like that story :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

scout52
03-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Here's another one I just thought of. I was born in Hollywood and basically have lived in the Los Angeles area all my life. When I was little I knew I lived in Hollywood, that my aunt and uncle lived in Canoga Park that my dad worked in Burbank, that my doctor was in Los Feliz, etc. I just didn't know that was all part of Los Angeles. One day I heard a story about Los Angeles and it sounded so great I really wanted to go there. I asked my dad if we could pleeeeaaassse go to Los Angeles and was very confused when he laughed and said we're in it. I wouldn't believe it. I didn't feel like where I lived was anything like that story :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: OMIGOD THAT SOOO FUNNY!!!