PDA

View Full Version : We had to put my beautiful cat to sleep today

nonny2t
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Our little guy started his life out tough. My husband found him as a little skinny kitten trying to get into the back door of the shop plant out where my dh works. He or his mother had been abandoned out in a wild state park area with animals like coyotes, etc. He had a damaged eye, but otherwise was ok. I had always hated cats, but couldn't let him die out there and so he came to our house and became part of our family. He actually became my cat. I was the one he would "talk" to, let pet around his ears and chin and want to sit on my lap for hours. He taught me a lot about cats, that's for sure.

Butterscotch started becoming kind of antisocial, losing weight, etc so we took him to the vet today. He ran tests this morning and said he was in full kidney failure so we had to put him down. You sure don't realize how much your pets mean to you. Jack and I have been crying all day today. Here is a picture of our sweet boy.

We are thankful we had him for the five years and though it hurts a lot, know that his suffering is over.

Thank you for listening. Donna

auburnchick
01-11-2008, 04:59 PM
:hug:

Having just recently lost a pet, I can totally understand your pain.

:hug:

Nobones
01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
:grphug: So sorry.

saracidaltendencies
01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
:hug:I'm so sorry to hear.

stitchwitch
01-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Oh geez, I'm so sorry for the loss of your kitty. You seem to have had a rough few months lately and I'm sure this certainly hasn't helped any. I'm hoping good things come to you soon.

figaro
01-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I am so sorry! :sad: At least you know that while he was alive, he was a happy and healthy cat.....

bailsmom
01-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Oh Donna, I'm so so sorry for your loss. :grphug:

KnittingNat
01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm so sorry :grphug: These little fellows have great souls...

Eccie
01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Oh I'm sorry for your loss :hug:

miccisue
01-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm so, so, sorry. Losing a member of the family is always hard - and as far as I'm concerned, my pets ARE members of the family.
Just think of your beloved Butterscotch waiting on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge......:hug:

misha rf
01-11-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm so sorry. :hug:I'm glad he had you and your family, and that you had him.

Spikey
01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
:verysad:So sorry for your loss. They really do become members of the family. What a beautiful cat.

scout52
01-11-2008, 07:44 PM
:hug: :hug: I'm am soooo sorry. It must have been so hard to do. I have two cats so i know how much they are part of the family.

willowangel
01-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm so,so sorry for your loss :grphug:

I hope you can find some peace in your memories.

Jan in CA
01-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Awww I'm so sorry! :hug:

CountryKitty
01-11-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm so sorry. I'm facing the same thing, I'm afraid, with my old red dog who is quickly going senile. Go ahead and cry, but remember that you and your hubby gave him a far better life, and a much kinder death, than he would've had otherwise.

newamy
01-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Oh, I am sorry. I know how it feels. Your cat was a beauty.

My lovely cat died 2 years ago on the 13th. And my remaining cat I discovered after Christmas isn't doing to well...she has a tumor on her jaw bone. It sounds crazy but I'm just waiting for her to get worse...

bjc1050
01-11-2008, 09:31 PM
How heartbreaking! At least Butterscotch taught you not to hate cats anymore. He zeroed in on you. Maybe another cat needs your care.

Sorry for your loss.

sue in canada
01-11-2008, 10:11 PM
So sorry to hear your news. It is amazing how our pets become such a big part of our lives.

zkimom
01-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Donna,

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I'm thinking of you and sending cyber hugs your way.

Hope things are going better for you healthwise.

Wishing you the best,
Susan

NC Girl
01-12-2008, 06:44 AM
I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty.

CBH

Beating_Earth
01-12-2008, 11:00 AM
:grphug: :grphug: :grphug:

ah
01-12-2008, 04:22 PM
I am very sorry for you and your family.

cheley
01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
:grphug: if it's any consolation to you, we had a wonderful, beautiful all gray cat we called "Church"..He came from the SPCA (after I found him hurt, took him there, then they called me) I never had a cat in my life, always considered myself to be a "dog" person(German Shepards) well we adopted him...with lots of health problems...He grew to be 22 lbs (not overweight either) lived for 11 years, then one evening my husband came home from work and noticed "Church" not moving on our bed, well, he obvouisly passed on in his sleep (no indications at all)...I didn't get to say goodbye and boy that still haunts me...losing a pet either way is sad....cheley

jamiejeans
01-12-2008, 09:44 PM
losing our pet family members is tough! You have a bunch of people here who understand your grief. I hope you find comfort in knowing you gave him a wonderful life; and he is a beautiful cat!

mks22300
01-13-2008, 09:15 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug:

helenlou
01-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Donna
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty. I have two elder
cats. The huge male Burmiese just eats and sleeps.but wants to cuddle when HE decides.He is seventeen.
The hyper little female is fifteen and she will not be picked up, but the minute I set down she is on my lap. (Knitting and all.)
I live alone and they are so much company.
Helenlou:heart: :heart: :cry:

Jen17
01-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Dear Donna,
I'm so sorry about your Butterscotch. He certainly is a beautiful kitty. It's funny how some animals come into our lives. I too, was not that fond of cats, but my boss at the time told me, if I did not take the "runt" of the litter that her cat had, had, she was going to go to "kitty heaven". Well, I took her home with me. My kids were little at the time and just thrilled. She gave us 20 years and 7 months of love. She passed on in March and I swear I still think I hear her coming down the stairs, which is right above where I knit! I can't see her, but I know she's around here in spirit:heart:

Take care of yourself,:grphug:

Jen

DQ
01-14-2008, 06:52 AM
He was a beautiful cat. I'm so sorry for your loss :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

dustinac
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
:hug: :heart: :hug:

Knit4Fun
01-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss - our pets are our children, IMHO, and although it is so hard when they pass, it is worth every minute we have with them so enjoy the good memories and know you are loved and prayed for.

:grphug:

Silver
01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know lots of people say "they're just animals", but as a cat lover myself, I can feel your pain. I've lost so many cats in my life and each one is a terrible heartache. :hug:

nonny2t
01-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Thank you all for your kindness. Jack and I are to the point now where little things are hard like I was knitting this morning and put it down to answer the phone but caught myself picking up the tail and making sure it was "out of the cat's reach." Yesterday I went shopping and we turned the corner to the pet stuff and I said to Jack, "Do we need cat lit...." Last night we went to put clean sheets on the bed and both stood and cried across from each other because Butterscotch loved to jump on the bed when we were making it and we would go through this toss him off, back he came, toss him off, routine. So now it is a matter of getting used to things without him.

I truly appreciate the outpouring of love from you all. It makes a world of difference that people understand.

ladyjessica
01-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm so sorry about your kitty. As someone who has lost a pet, I know how much it hurts. They're not just animals, they're people with 4 legs and fur. Animals bless us with loyalty and unconditional love, and you and your husband will be blessed for taking care of him and giving him such a wonderful life. :hug: