PDA

View Full Version : FO: "Mendocino" Jacket for Laila!

ArtLady1981
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi! :waving:

As some of you know, many of us KH Yarnaholics have started a 2008 Year of the Stash thread! We invite you to join us on the Stash Train!

In view of that, I am determined to use up a bunch of my kid yarn!
I purchased 30 skeins of Rowan All Seasons Cotton last year...or the year before :shrug:...who knows why!

Fiona's "Posey" took 6 of the 30 skeins. (Fiona is 8 yrs old)
Laila's "Mendocino" jacket took 9 skeins. (Laila is 5 yrs old)

So I still have 15 left! Ack! I had originally purchased this yarn with them in mind...and I have two additional patterns for them with this yarn...two pullovers are next.

Well, here is Laila's jacket...called Mendocino, a pattern in The Children's Collection by A & J Starmore. I read on a Ravelry thread that this book is out of print. I don't know for sure.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3797.jpg

The Back is nice! I loved doing these unusual cables.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3798.jpg
Here are the two "Sister Sweaters" together. Fiona is 8, Laila is 5.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3799.jpg

Samsam
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
gorgeous! keep on stash busting! :)

scout52
01-14-2008, 05:49 PM
those are gorgeous sweaters!! love the placement of the cables

auburnchick
01-14-2008, 06:07 PM
What beautiful sweaters! :inlove: Nice job!!!

P.S. I could try to squeeze into a kid size...if you need someone to knit for. :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks Auburn Chick! :muah: A lady over at Ravelry somehow figured out how to conform the pattern to adult sizing! :doh:Some knitters are so resourceful! Me...I tend to be a follower! I just follow the pattern most of the time. I can "tinker" with the pattern, but don't usually make huge changes!

Thanks again EVERYONE!

I can't decide if I want to give the girls these two sweaters now, or wait til the DOZEN are all done. I kinda like having them around to look at! Kinda lhow you feel when you are baking cookies! Ya just love looking at them all spread out over the countertops!

auburnchick
01-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, I know you are a fast knitter, but if I was their mom, I sure would love being able to dress them up in those nice, cozy clothes. Just take lots of pictures, blow them up bigger, and stick them on the counter if you want to ogle them. :teehee:

Knit4Fun
01-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Absolutely stunning...you go girl!!! :yay: :woot: :yay:

Jan in CA
01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
:noway: Wow..those are awesome! :inlove:

Ingrid
01-14-2008, 08:24 PM
:thud:So beautiful! Makes me wish I had a granddaughter to knit for.:heart:

dustinac
01-14-2008, 08:25 PM
:happydance: Very pretty!! Great job :happydance:

Slim
01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Wow, I think the second sweater is even prettier than the first one -- but they're both so beautiful it's hard to tell. I love the color, too. Lucky girls.

knit2btied
01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
What sweet sweaters! Way to stash-bust!!!

veekcee
01-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow! You are a fast knitter! They are both so cute!

sue in canada
01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
They are both beautiful. Lucky girls.

KnittingNat
01-15-2008, 03:15 AM
That is just beautiful :passedout: ! ArtLady, you inspire us all.

iwouldratherbeknitting
01-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Give them to them now-- the children are growing bigger every week and they'll have longer to wear their sweet sweaters.

Now, you could make them matching hats, gloves, scarves, summer tops.. of course by then.. they might be sick of that particular color! ;)

ArtLady1981
01-15-2008, 05:24 AM
Give them to them now-- the children are growing bigger every week and they'll have longer to wear their sweet sweaters.

Now, you could make them matching hats, gloves, scarves, summer tops.. of course by then.. they might be sick of that particular color! ;)

Ok! You are right! "Children are growing bigger every week..."!!!

As soon as the Booga Bags are dry...I will go on over and give them the sweaters, their own little Booga Bags...and a big Booga Bag for their Momma (to go with her Central Park Hoodie!)

I'll post photos of the Boogas before gifting them! I kinda tweaked the pattern for the big Booga. I'm also putting a patch pocket, either inside or outside. Anyone care to give me an opinion about the patch pocket? Inside or outside?

The big Booga is a solid green bottom (the leftover yarn from her Central Park Hoodie)...the straps are the same yarn as the CPH...and the rectangular felted piece for the pocket is the solid green. Oh, and the top inch of the Booga is the solid green...but most of the Booga itself is NORO Kureyon, shown below.

Should the pocket be on the outside, stitched into place...or on the inside like cellphone pockets??? More useful if it is inside????

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2352/2145073686_3a6449af66.jpg?v=0

DQ
01-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Those jumpers are gorgeous! :yay: As for the bag, I think inside pockets are better if it's a pocket without a fastening :)

The.Knitter
01-15-2008, 06:19 AM
As usual your work is superb. They are gorgeous sweaters. I say gift them now so they get as much use from them as they can.

I think you should put a few pockets inside for cell phone and other "stuff". You might want to knit a flower and put it on the outside before you felt it, just to give it a "special" look. I saw one on here that was solid red with a beautiful red trillium flower on the front. It looked wonderful.

I so wish I was not allergic to wool and could knit myself a booga bag, with the pretty flower on the front. Oh well, life sends us all trials and this is one of mine.

Ronda
01-15-2008, 07:28 AM
:inlove: They are just beautiful!

iwouldratherbeknitting
01-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Of course, if you sew a cloth lining-- you could put useful pockets on the inside of the purse and a felted decorative (and useful if need be) pocket on the outside.

However, if it's only going to be 1 pocket for the purse.. things tend NOT TO FALL OUT and get lost if the pocket is on the inside. So far, I knitted or sewn all my pockets on the inside of purses that I've knitted.. felted or left knitted.

GiddyKnitter
01-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Artlady your work is beautiful..Both little jackets are very very pretty but I have to say that the front one is my favorite. I agree give them out now!

WandaT
01-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Wow!!!!! Gorgeous work! I love both of them!! What lucky girls!

2sweetgirls38
01-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Those are absolutely gorgeous! I have 2 daughters if you get bored and need to knit another fabulous set!

Jaxhil
01-15-2008, 11:53 AM
You are so good. Those are simply GORGEOUS and I love those unusual cables, too! :heart:

mom2hancj
01-15-2008, 12:55 PM
That is just amazing!! You are such a talented knitter...I inspire to be as good as you someday. And great job on the stash busting...I keep stash busting but buying more too. I need to stop the buying...bad me.

Kithic
01-15-2008, 01:18 PM
:inlove: Those are both so beautiful! Seeing those makes me wish I had a little girl to knit for.

Debkcs
01-15-2008, 01:28 PM
You are such a talented knitter...I inspire to be as good as you someday Me too! As usual, your work is just drop dead gorgeous! Lucky grands you have there, Artlady.

PurlyGyrl
01-15-2008, 02:36 PM
FABULOUS as always!:muah: As others have said, you are an inspiration. :notworthy:We all want to be able to knit like you someday!

MerigoldinWA
01-15-2008, 06:39 PM
All thirty skeins are the same color? It's a beautiful color, but I hope you don't get bored with it before you are done. I guess each one being a different pattern will be a big help getting past color boredom.

Both of those are just stunning. The lacey one you shared before is great, but I like this one a lot too. It reminds me a little of an Oriental style jacket. I saw one once in a magazine that I was really attracted to. Mother Earth, or Pearl Buck peasant type thing. Very cool. Your work is always so nice an even.

ArtLady1981
01-15-2008, 11:05 PM
All thirty skeins are the same color? It's a beautiful color, but I hope you don't get bored with it before you are done. I guess each one being a different pattern will be a big help getting past color boredom.

Both of those are just stunning. The lacey one you shared before is great, but I like this one a lot too. It reminds me a little of an Oriental style jacket. I saw one once in a magazine that I was really attracted to. Mother Earth, or Pearl Buck peasant type thing. Very cool. Your work is always so nice an even.

I must admit...YES...all the same color. The skeins are not big on yardage...so I musta been thinking of making them matching coats or something. That's what a SALE along with free shipping will do to the thought processes. :eyes:

And, yes...I will make each coat or sweater a different pattern to help with boredom! :knitting:

And thanks for your compliments and kind words, too! :muah:

robynbird
01-16-2008, 12:37 AM
You are soo fast! I love both the sweaters. :)

ah
01-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Wonderful!

dmknits
01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Beautiful sweaters!

pvsduck
01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
WOW! Those are gorgeous.

bethany
01-18-2008, 08:44 PM
ugh! I can't stand it! soooooo gorgeous! I'm telling ya, I have two girls you can knit for ! haa!! Lovely!!

loveswildflowers
01-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Yes I concur with those who posted before me - you are an inspiration. Beautifully done! Congrats!