PDA

View Full Version : OMG Heath Ledger is dead!!

letah75
01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Holy cow!!!

This is a shocker!

yarnfreak
01-22-2008, 06:27 PM
I just saw that on the news. How sad.

iza
01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
:waah: I heard about it too. How sad.

btw, be careful if you check his wikipedia entry. As soon as I heard I checked it, it had already been edited and was "appropriate". Then I refreshed my window and... well... unappropriate pictures appeared. Idiots. :roll: I'm sure they'll fix it soon though.

robynbird
01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Whoa...I just read this!! how very sad!

willowangel
01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Holy **** - I just read it too - I thought the thread was going to be some kind of joke... but the poor guy.

Bloody hell :-(

misha rf
01-22-2008, 07:02 PM
:waah: I heard about it too. How sad.

btw, be careful if you check his wikipedia entry. As soon as I heard I checked it, it had already been edited and was "appropriate". Then I refreshed my window and... well... unappropriate pictures appeared. Idiots. :roll: I'm sure they'll fix it soon though.

It's such a shame, especially because he had a child.

As for the idiots who edited his wikipedia page...I just don't get it. They've now locked the page from editing.

texas1107`
01-22-2008, 07:12 PM
He was only 28 too. So very sad to see a young person lose their life.

AngMac
01-22-2008, 07:16 PM
I am just stunned and shocked. I can't believe it. His poor little girl. I just watched 10 Things I Hate About You the other day. He was so young and had so much ahead of him.

cdjack
01-22-2008, 07:20 PM
I heard that today on talk radio on the way home. My first thought was of his little girl... I think she is only two or three.

rachejm
01-22-2008, 07:29 PM
I didn't believe it until I saw it on the news! Poor little girl, she's so young.

auburnchick
01-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Here's (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/actor-heath-ledger-is-found-dead/) the link to the story.

Sad, but not surprising these days.

Sure did like A Knight's Tale.

DQ
01-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Awful :pout:

miccisue
01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Don't get me wrong, it is horribly sad....but on the other hand, I get the same kind of feeling I did when John Belushi OD'd. I wanted to grab him by the shirt, shake him, and scream "what the he** are you doing? You've got everything - people who really, truly, love you, money to be comfortable and not have to worry about where your next house payment is coming from, the ability to pick and choose what film you want to do.....and you pi** your life away on drugs?" It's just such a stupid, stupid, waste...............

Darcia
01-22-2008, 07:42 PM
We don't know the total circumstances yet. But either way, very sad to see a young man in his prime fall. May God watch over those who are left behind, especially the little child.

auburnchick
01-22-2008, 07:42 PM
It really goes to show you that money (and fame) do not buy happiness. I saw an interview with Tom Brady, I think, on 60 minutes. He talked about this. He said that sure, you win a Super Bowl, but then what. Something is missing in these people's lives. I'd take a wager it's nothing material. :thumbsup:

So...one more family to pray for...

knitgal
01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I couldn't believe it myself. My jaw dropped when I heard it. So sad. I agree auburnchick, it really does show you money doesn't buy happiness. Clearly he was very unhappy. Maybe it was his failed marriage? Who knows, the point is that it's very sad and unfortunate that he wasn't able to get the help he needed.

rosefields
01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: sad, sad, sad...

The.Knitter
01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Money can buy you homes, cars, food, pay bills, cloth you in style, all the comforts of a "fortunate" lifestyle, but it can't make you happy inside yourself. Only YOU can make yourself happy inside, and sometimes that takes getting the help you need to sort out what it is that makes you unhappy. It seems a shame when this man had all the comforts life could afford him, aned all the talent to just keep getting more and more fame and fortune, that he was unhappy within himself and could not get the help he needed to correct that. His great talent will be missed.

:pray: for his daughter. She won't feel the affects of this until she is a bit older, but she WILL feel them, the poor dear child.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
damn, I thought this was a joke thread too.
Hopefully it was accidental.

wewantmore
01-22-2008, 08:32 PM
So extremely sad. I LOVE A Knight's Tale, it's one of my all time favorite movies.

Sleep Deprivation is a horrible thing. I think it was just an accidental overdose of sleeping pills.

Michelle

starburst
01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
That's what I've heard too. I read an interview that he had done recently where he talked about not being able to sleep and having to take more than one sleeping pill to help him go out.

I feel horrible for his daughter--that has to be one of the worst ways to grow up.

My friends and I are getting together to watch Ten Things this weekend in memorial.

starburst
01-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, it is horribly sad....but on the other hand, I get the same kind of feeling I did when John Belushi OD'd. I wanted to grab him by the shirt, shake him, and scream "what the he** are you doing? You've got everything - people who really, truly, love you, money to be comfortable and not have to worry about where your next house payment is coming from, the ability to pick and choose what film you want to do.....and you pi** your life away on drugs?" It's just such a stupid, stupid, waste...............

Belushi was one of the first people I thought of when I heard. John had so much potential. He was really going somewhere and people were taking note and then...nothing. It seems like so many people get thrust into the limelight and they burnout so quickly. John Belushi, Chris Farley, Mitch Hedberg, Kurt Cobain, I mean, the list goes on and on. You just want to grab them all and tell them that from their point of view it might be "better to burn out than fade away," but burning out leaves a lot of people behind who are hurt and confused.

For all we know so far, Heath just had an accident. For all we know, he didn't mean to take too many of whatever he took, but it still leaves the same disastrous wake.

dalisn28
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=starburst;1048302] Belushi was one of the first people I thought of when I heard. John had so much potential. He was really going somewhere and people were taking note and then...nothing. It seems like so many people get thrust into the limelight and they burnout so quickly. John Belushi, Chris Farley, Mitch Hedberg, Kurt Cobain, I mean, the list goes on and on. You just want to grab them all and tell them that from their point of view it might be "better to burn out than fade away," but burning out leaves a lot of people behind who are hurt and confused.
QUOTE]

After saying OMG!! the first person I thought about was River Phoenix. I just loved him and was so sad to learn of his passing. All I could say was "what a waste" not just of a talent, but of a great person. My heart goes out to Matilda and Michelle, for although they weren't together anymore, I'm sure she still loved him. :cry:

CountryKitty
01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
For his little girl's sake I do hope it was just an accident. Even adults have difficulty understanding the suicide of a loved one.

miccisue
01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Belushi was one of the first people I thought of when I heard. John had so much potential. He was really going somewhere and people were taking note and then...nothing. It seems like so many people get thrust into the limelight and they burnout so quickly. John Belushi, Chris Farley, Mitch Hedberg, Kurt Cobain, I mean, the list goes on and on. You just want to grab them all and tell them that from their point of view it might be "better to burn out than fade away," but burning out leaves a lot of people behind who are hurt and confused.

For all we know so far, Heath just had an accident. For all we know, he didn't mean to take too many of whatever he took, but it still leaves the same disastrous wake.
What to me was so confusing with Belushi was the fact that he did, in fact, have the devotion of so many people. Not just the fans, the people who just wanted to hang around with him, but true, honest, loving relationships. His wife stuck with him through everything - from high school on. Dan Ackroyd loved him like a brother. It wasn't as though he was totally isolated and went home to an empty house and empty life when the cameras went off. I've read the Belushi books, and John was very generous with his family, who he adored. It was just so stupid that he couldn't leave the "cheap thrills" alone.....I still miss him.

Nobones
01-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I saw this last night and was very saddened by this. He was the same age as me. I have been a fan of his for a long time. 'The Brother's Grimm' is my top 3 fav films.

Only heard about the sleeping pills thing today and to be honest it's freaked me out. I take sleeping pills, if I don't take them I don't sleep it's that simple. I've been taking for about 4 years now. But I have on occasion taken my 1 pill (as it states on the box) and a couple of hours later been awake (although so horrible tired) and taken a half of another, and then a little while later half again. I've only ever taken 2 1/2, I DO KNOW I shouldn't but sometimes I'm so tired I'll do anything to get to sleep. I'm going to make more of an effort NOT to do this.

Guess it takes a shock like this to learn something.

msoebel
01-23-2008, 11:38 AM
I think this whole things is very sad. I am not a celebrity watcher by any means, but I always find so shocking when a vibrant life is cut down so early.

It appears to be an accidental overdose at this time of sleeping pills. He had been taking them for months, after being unable to sleep while working on the next Batman movie. He said that his role as the Joker was so demonic at times that he couldn't get the images out of his head.

This is such a tragedy...his 2 year old dd will only know him from his films now.

DianaM
01-23-2008, 01:07 PM
I really loved his work, what a loss and what a terrible blow for his family.

I too think it's accidental. I was caretaker for my grandmother for 4 years and I discovered when I moved in with her, that she used to take more than one sleeping pill each night. I ended up taking them away and rationing them out each night.

Cherinec5
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
i was so shocked yesterday when i seen the headline after opening msn. i still can't beleive it. he was a wonderful actor and i loved him in all his films! i feel so sad for his daughter and michelle because even though they broke up some feelings never go away.
RIP

Lucy78green
01-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Cnn (http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/23/heath.ledger.dead/index.html) website said autopsy was inconclusive, we'll probably never know what really happened

VictoiseC
01-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm actually a little sick from this, been lying down a lot last night and today. This beautiful fellow was my favorite actor and when the Academy board chose to ignore his brilliant creation in Brokeback, I was so angry I decided never to watch the awards again.

I believe a performance of that caliber has not been created in the past I dunno, 10 or 20 years. Truly.

I also believe he cannot be compared to John Belushi in any sense. Belushi was known to party and take drugs and lead a very wild life for many years. Heath has been out and about down in Soho these last months at various bars, but it's been stated how polite and well-mannered he was, not crazy, not drunk, not on drugs.
I have the feeling this is something of a youth thing, the anxiety of performing maybe, or living up to a reputation. Or maybe yeah, just the crazy stuff related to Batman and that character.
He also was suffering from anxiety it's been said.

I've never taken a sleeping pill! I guess I'd rather sit up at night and read some stupid (or good) book than rely on pills. My family is hooked on various pills and it's such a shame.

I'm so sad I'll stop now. Send love to his soul in these next few days....

here's a link of some beautiful pictures of him:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/01/22/movies/0122-LEDGER_index.html

scout52
01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Anti-gay group is going to protest at his funeral!! because of his protroyal in Brokeback Mountain. That is just soooo wrong. I'm all for free speech, but I think funerals trump free speech. families have the right to grieve in peace.

congress has been taking too long already from preventing this church from showing up at soldiers funerals and I know they are going to do squat to protect any famous gays or anyone who protrays gays on tv/movies in their funerals. but they could at least protect the soldiers who are fighting for losing their life so this church and their horrible mean spirited members can keep bigoted views

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324966,00.html

auburnchick
01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Anti-gay group is going to protest at his funeral!! because of his protroyal in Brokeback Mountain. That is just soooo wrong. I'm all for free speech, but I think funerals trump free speech. families have the right to grieve in peace.

Good grief! Use your power for something different. The poor family...

::::::::::::::::sigh:::::::::::::::::::::::::

starburst
01-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Good grief! Use your power for something different. The poor family...

::::::::::::::::sigh:::::::::::::::::::::::::

this is the same church that protests outside of soldiers' funerals

brendajos
01-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I hate what those groups do. I hate it a lot. I hate everything about what they do, except that what they do is constitutionally sound. And I hate the idea of messing with the constitution more than what they do. Congress will have to work TERRIBLY hard to pass a law that would actually pass constitutional muster if brought before the Supreme Court. What needs to continue happening is the press needs to stop reporting their misdeeds and people need to keep showing up to surround the family and protect them from this kind of act. I hate it i hate it i hate it!

Has there been an indication he would be buried here though? I would think he would be buried in Australia.

scout52
01-23-2008, 07:57 PM
I Know I HATE THAT what they do is protected under free speech but technically if they incite a riot then its not and if there are a lot of fans that show up they may incite a riot and then its not protected speech anymore and then they have to leave and/or they can be arrested for inciting a riot. but I LOVE the constitution of this country that makes this a great country.

I would think that his parents would want him in australia but that Michelle Willliams would want him in America so she could have his daughter visit his grave much easier. so no clue, most people under 30 have not made their final wishes known.

I'm 30 and i have assets. I have made my wishes known orally but i have yet to write them down and have them notorazed. i have it started. I have life insurance to cover the house so my bf won't be stuck with the mortgage, i have life insurance to care of my siblings, but i told them i want cremation but never what to do with it.

jdee
01-23-2008, 08:54 PM
I never was a big fan, but I'm saddened to hear of this, and horrified to learn that he may have protesters at the funeral. While I'm all for free speech, there are certain things that should be off limits, in the name of decency. If they wanted to protest outside a movie theater, or something, then fine, but not at the man's funeral. Where are peoples' manners?

misha rf
01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
The group in question has been picketing funerals for years. If someone dies from AIDS, they're there. They'll picket outside displays of the AIDS quilt. Anything gay-related, and they find a way to be there. Even if it's not really gay-related, like soldier's funerals. Hell, they even showed up to picket at my little sister's college graduation (Kansas State) b/c there are gay students there. The group is based near Topeka, & they seem to have a little "enclave" there.

miccisue
01-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm actually a little sick from this, been lying down a lot last night and today. This beautiful fellow was my favorite actor and when the Academy board chose to ignore his brilliant creation in Brokeback, I was so angry I decided never to watch the awards again.

I believe a performance of that caliber has not been created in the past I dunno, 10 or 20 years. Truly.

I also believe he cannot be compared to John Belushi in any sense. Belushi was known to party and take drugs and lead a very wild life for many years. Heath has been out and about down in Soho these last months at various bars, but it's been stated how polite and well-mannered he was, not crazy, not drunk, not on drugs.
I have the feeling this is something of a youth thing, the anxiety of performing maybe, or living up to a reputation. Or maybe yeah, just the crazy stuff related to Batman and that character.

I've never taken a sleeping pill! I guess I'd rather sit up at night and read some stupid (or good) book than rely on pills. My family is hooked on various pills and it's such a shame.

here's a link of some beautiful pictures of him:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/01/22/movies/0122-LEDGER_index.html
With all due respect, John Belushi was only 33 when he died - 5 years older than Mr. Ledger....not that much of a difference, so the "youth" thing could apply to him as well. Yes, Belushi died of an OD of street drugs rather than prescription ones - I suppose to some that makes his death a little "dirtier", but the end result is sadly, the same.
John was known to party, yes, but to know the whole story I would suggest you read at the very least "Wired" and "Samurai Widow". John was not the scumbag you seem to think he was. He was a sweet, gentle, man who also dealt with sudden fame and insecurity, and at times ended up surrounded by the wrong people. He also worked hard to try and quit drugs - hiring a guy named "Smokey" to shadow him constantly.
Gilda Radner, who worked with John even before SNL, wrote to him once that he was the only guy who could "hit me without hurting me, and hurt me without hitting me".
I, for one, miss John and his wonderfully inventive sense of humor. Judy Belushi Pisano wrote in "Samurai Widow" that someone left a card at John's grave one day that said "He could have given us so many more laughs, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO". He was much loved.

debb
01-24-2008, 12:53 AM
In regard to the so-called church group that protests at funerals, they are basically one family - most if not all of the members are related. I believe they just lost a lawsuit because they did take their 'protest' of one military funeral too far and caused a disruption so while their free speech was protected, their actions were not.

starburst
01-24-2008, 12:53 AM

While I disagree that he can't be compared to John Belushi, I definitely see your reasoning for why he can't. Heath was fairly widely known to be alcoholic and that was a large reason that Michelle left him, but he was getting better and he seemed to be making efforts. However, that's not why I would compare him to Beloosh. What I meant to say is that Heath's death has and will continue to leave the same sort of resonating void that is left by a talented person who dies young. When you see someone who dies before their time, no matter the reason, people are devastated because you can't help but imagine how much of their life's work had been left undone.

As for sleeping pills, I think it's often hard for people without sleeping problems to understand just how horrible it can be to be physically incapable of shutting down your mind, to be tired but incapable of sleep. I've had DPSP since I was 13 and insomnia since I was 15 or so and it's a complete nightmare. I could read for hours and hours but my mind will not shut down until 4AM, like clockwork. It cuts into your life, makes school and work difficult and it never goes away. I know what it's like to sit around waiting for sleeping pills to take affect and I know it's horribly frustrating when they don't.

VictoiseC
01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi. Just a little comment today, I never ever thought John Bulushi was a scumbag. I liked him very much and admired his talent.

I didn't know or haven't read anywhere including the nasty Australian papers that Heath had a drinking problem. He had a woman problem. (liked them all too much) I just said what I said because I know Bulushi was doing heroin and coke etc and I don't think Heath was. that's all

Sorry to hear about your sleeping trouble. That must be horrid to have it for so long. I go crazy when I wake up at 5 and lay there til 7 but that's only once in a while.

scout52
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
insomia really is terrible. I have had it coupled with my migraines. I can't be on sleeping pills so I have to choose between migraine medicine or sleeping pills. its a terrible choice to make believe me. no migraines or some sleep. you can't fault someone for wanting to finally get some sleep.

starburst
01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
insomia really is terrible. I have had it coupled with my migraines. I can't be on sleeping pills so I have to choose between migraine medicine or sleeping pills. its a terrible choice to make believe me. no migraines or some sleep. you can't fault someone for wanting to finally get some sleep.

I hate to speculate, but I can imagine that this sort of thing might have been part of the problem. People who travel a lot often have multiple doctors and if a doctor weren't aware that he was on another type of medicine, there could be a conflict between the two.

Rhea
01-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm so sad. I keep expecting to hear to was all a hoax and that Ledger is happily on vacation in France. It's just too terrible.