PDA

View Full Version : FO: The "11th Hour Hat" for DH

ArtLady1981
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi!

I was flippin' through the pages and pages of HAT PATTERNS over at Ravelry...and came up with about a dozen that I thought DH would like. So, here is one of them! The pattern is FREE, but you don't have to be logged into Ravelry to get the pattern. It is also available off the Ravelry grid.

The 11th Hour Hat (http://nevermoreknits.blogspot.com/2007/11/11th-hour-hat-dk-weight.html)

Here is my hat for DH, using 1 skein of Peruvian Sierra Aran for the garter stitch band (www.elann.com)...and 1 skein of Araucania Atacama color 506 variegated. It sits like a beanie on his noggin with the garter stitch band turned up (as shown)...but he can flip the band down over his ears and neck if he needs to. This was a STASHBUSTIN' project. Took one evening to finish.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3878.jpg

Here is a photo of the MODEL hat...100% using DK yarn.
http://bp1.blogger.com/_5oNfFOBwM7M/Ry0P5z8vUXI/AAAAAAAAAAk/HglvleRqtpc/s320/hat1.jpg

The.Knitter
01-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Very nice, and it looks so warm too! As usual, a wonderful job on knitting! But of course, we really expect all your pieces to be masterpieces nowadays. Keep up the good work!

auburnchick
01-28-2008, 04:49 PM
What a neat, fast project! Go, ArtLady, Go ArtLady! :cheering:

Knit4Fun
01-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Looks beautiful as always...you really have an eye for color too!!! :muah:

dustinac
01-28-2008, 07:18 PM
:thumbsup: Great job!!

Maria2009
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Very nice,i like the colors!

ArtLady1981
01-28-2008, 07:50 PM
It was very satisfying to get somethin' done in one evening! :thumbsup:
I'm always seem to be knitting mega patterns. :pout:

mrsmcg
01-28-2008, 08:15 PM
I love the color combination. :)

One evening? I must start knitting faster. :) Impressive!

pcrihfield
01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't post often or at all. ;) But I've been thinking about making this hat for awhile now and I love the colors you have used. Looks great! Beautiful knitting.
I can relate on the mega projects also, been knitting a X-L sweater for myself and I don't think it will ever get done.

Phyllis

ArtLady1981
01-29-2008, 01:41 AM
I don't post often or at all. ;) But I've been thinking about making this hat for awhile now and I love the colors you have used. Looks great! Beautiful knitting.
I can relate on the mega projects also, been knitting a X-L sweater for myself and I don't think it will ever get done.

Phyllis

Hi Phyllis!

It said to provisional cast on (my first time for that!) for the garter band so that you can graft the provisional cast on edge to the live stitches at the end. I wasn't gettin' it :doh:...so I did a 3 needle bind off...and it looks fine.

That grafting stuff isn't easy. It didn't seem important enough to the hat's design to fight with it for too long...so I gave in, and gave up...and 3 needled it! :thumbsup:

Debkcs
01-29-2008, 02:01 AM
But of course, we really expect all your pieces to be masterpieces nowadays. Keep up the good work!
Isn't that the truth!

I love the colors that you chose. My DH would like that also, and the pattern looks like fun.

KnittingNat
01-29-2008, 03:42 AM
How 'bout a picture of your DH with the hat :teehee: ? It looks wonderful - cozy and warm and the colors add it an extra feeling of warmth :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-29-2008, 03:59 AM
How 'bout a picture of your DH with the hat :teehee: ? It looks wonderful - cozy and warm and the colors add it an extra feeling of warmth :thumbsup:

I told him tonight that everyone likes his new hat! He asked, "How come you didn't wait for me to model it for you?"

My oh My! He ain't shy!

Tomorrow, I'll get him outside in front of the spruce tree! Stay tuned!

GinnyG
01-29-2008, 06:09 AM
GREAT HAT!

pcrihfield
01-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks Artlady. I will probably try the provisional cast on but I think I've tried it before and didn't get it either. Will probably go with the 3 needle bind of also. Thanks for the tip.
Phyllis

bethany
01-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Nice stash busting! Great colors (shhh...I like yours lots better than the model hat....)

ArtLady1981
01-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Artlady. I will probably try the provisional cast on but I think I've tried it before and didn't get it either. Will probably go with the 3 needle bind of also. Thanks for the tip.
Phyllis

Shhh. :teehee: Here is a great video clip that helped me figger out the crocheted provisional cast-on! Crocheted Provisional Cast On (http://knittingatknoon.com/provisional.html)

Jaxhil
01-29-2008, 05:26 PM
That looks great-I really love the colors! Pretty yarn, want to touch :teehee:

mrsmcg
01-29-2008, 06:21 PM
was there a specific reason you had to use that type of cast on?

ArtLady1981
01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
was there a specific reason you had to use that type of cast on?

That cinnamon garter stitch hat band, as you can see, is sideways. You cast on 15 st...then knit it for the prescribed length...don't bind off...rip out the provisional cast on stitches...and graft them together with the 15 st at the end. It makes an invisible seam...meaning...you can't tell where the hat band begins nor ends.

From there, you pick up stitches around one edge of the hat band, and then begin to knit in-the-round for 4"...then begin the decreasing process.

mrsmcg
01-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks! That makes sense. I have never done that type of scast on before. I found a hat pattern the other day that I liked that calls for the same type of cast on.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTcoronet.html

Is the provisional cast on difficult to do or is it the grafting part that is challenging?

Colleen

ArtLady1981
01-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks! That makes sense. I have never done that type of scast on before. I found a hat pattern the other day that I liked that calls for the same type of cast on.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTcoronet.html

Is the provisional cast on difficult to do or is it the grafting part that is challenging?

Colleen

Ooooooh Colleen! Thanks for the link for that cool cabled hat at Knitty! I couldn't seem to manage the provisional cast-on demonstrated by Amy in a video clip here at KH. Hers turned out so neat...mine was a mess. Doh.

So I Googled the words and came up with a really nice video clip for the crocheted provisional cast on...I guess there are even more methods than these two...but the lady demonstrating the crocheted provisional cast on prefers it, and went slowly enough so's I could follow. Click here to View (http://knittingatknoon.com/provisional.html) the crocheted provisional cast on.

I couldn't get my grafting perfected...I ended up doing a 3-needle bind off for the two ends. It worked fine. Not as invisible as grafting...but...I don't think it is that imperative for the garter stitch hat band.

MerigoldinWA
01-30-2008, 02:54 AM
That is an interesting hat. I have never thought of doing a sideways garter band. I suppose you picked up stitches and made the variegated part. Did you work in the round or flat? The variegated yarn is lovely (in a masculine sort of way, of course :-)) and the solid CC picks up the rust so nicely.

ArtLady1981
01-30-2008, 03:24 AM
That is an interesting hat. I have never thought of doing a sideways garter band. I suppose you picked up stitches and made the variegated part. Did you work in the round or flat? The variegated yarn is lovely (in a masculine sort of way, of course :-)) and the solid CC picks up the rust so nicely.

Picked up 107 stitches along the edge of the garter stitch band...and then knit "in the round" for 4" before beginning the decrease rounds.

I'm glad the variegated yarn comes off masculine! The hat is for my DH! Yeah! He loves it.

Interesting note: the variegated yarn is DK...the cinnamon yarn is Aran.

It worked.

dewdrops
02-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Great hat!!:cheering:

ah
02-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Looks nice and warm. I like the contrast of the body and brim.

Hygiene Mama
02-02-2008, 12:13 AM
ooooo, I really like that!

dmknits
02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Great hat! And I love the colors!

knittingymnast
02-08-2008, 12:11 PM
i love it!

pcrihfield
02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
ArtLady,

You said you picked up 107 stitches, did you make the garter ridge longer than the 158 rows then?
I made a hat using this pattern, exactly as written for dh and he liked it except he wanted it longer than the 4 inches before doing the deceases. He said it's a little to short. I'm planning on making another one next week for him and I'll probably go 5 inches on it before decreasing.
Phyllis

Sewing Angel
02-08-2008, 09:33 PM
That is a great hat! You do the most amazing work. I'm inspired to try other things when I see what you have been doing!
Angel

ArtLady1981
02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
ArtLady,

You said you picked up 107 stitches, did you make the garter ridge longer than the 158 rows then?
I made a hat using this pattern, exactly as written for dh and he liked it except he wanted it longer than the 4 inches before doing the deceases. He said it's a little to short. I'm planning on making another one next week for him and I'll probably go 5 inches on it before decreasing.
Phyllis

I can't exactly remember Phyllis.

I used a larger needle and aran weight yarn for the garter stitch band...and that made it bigger anyway. I don't think I made it longer than the 158 rows.

pcrihfield
02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I thought dh's hat was a little to tight but he likes the fit, so I guess I'll just use the same needle and just knit it a little longer to cover his ears. But he does like the style of the hat. I'm glad you made the hat, it reminded me that I wanted to make it. :teehee:
Phyllis