PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Help - "Bad Penny"

vcSmall
01-31-2008, 07:16 PM
I would like to make this sweater www.knitty.com/issuespring04/pattbadpenny.html. It is knit in the round. Patterns says to CO 140 sts. Then there are a few steps and then the have the following:
Inc round 1: K all sts.
Inc round 2: K to 1 st before marker, yo slip marker, k1, yo
Repeat these 2 inc rounds 19 times more
It all makes sense until I get to the next step that tells me how many sts I have: 60 sts per sleeve and 90 sts per body half - 300 sts in total.
The way I figure it I have 180 sts: 140CO+(2inc x 20).
Where did the 60 sts per sleeve come from???

Also, near the end of the pattern it says to inc 2 sts evenly around. Would I do this 1 st at the beginning of the row and 1 st at the end of the row and would I achieve the inc using a yo?

As it is knit from the top down, what type of CO would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS I forgot to tell you that I am a beginner knitter (if you hadn't guessed that by now):shock:

Ingrid
01-31-2008, 07:58 PM
There are 4 markers placed, therefore you have 8 increases per round. That's where your missing stitches are.

To increase 2 evenly, increase in the first stitch and then halfway around. Don't do a yo, since it will leave an eyelet--fine for the raglan shaping, but you don't want random eyelets. Kfb for those.

I'd do a regular long-tail cast on since it's so neat.

Jints
01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
inc round 1: all knit, no increases.
inc round 2: has 8 increases. one yo each side of the marker. (yo, slip marker, k 1, yo.)

you will repeat both rounds 1 & 2 19[22, 23, 26, 27, 30] times more after the first.
20 x 8 = 160 plus 140 st you started with should get you 300 total when finished raglan shaping.
The increases towards the end, in this case I'd use Bar increase, (k1f&b) style increase or the M1L, not yo. one at beg. of round and another half way would work best.
Cast on method is your choice, cable or long tail methods perhaps. One thing I always do to prevent a too tight edge is use needles larger than specified to actually cast on with then start knitting with the smaller ones.
HTH :thumbsup:

vcSmall
01-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Thank you so much!

So to clarify, beginning with Inc round 1:

K all stitches

K19, yo, slip marker, k1, yo,
K49, yo, slip marker, k1, yo,
K19, yo, slip marker, k1, yo,
K49, yo, slip marker, k1 yo.

K all stitches

Etc.

One question though - What do I do with the 1 st before the marker when, in Inc round 2 it calls for K to 1 st before marker, yo, slip marker, k1, yo?!

Ugh! I hate being so dumb and needy. :pout:

Jints
02-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Hmm! :think: Not sure how I missed that. The close up picture of the raglan shaping shows 2 knit sts between the YO's which is the usual way.
It could be a pattern error. I would put an extra k1 in there.
K to 1 st before marker, yo, K1, slip marker, k1, yo

vcSmall
02-01-2008, 11:34 PM
So which of the following would you recommend:

YO, K2 (slipping the marker between the K2) YO

or

K all the way to the marker then YO K1 YO

Someone recommended I reference the "Ubernatural" pattern found on magknits.com. That pattern uses the second option. I'm not sure if it is exactly the same or if "it will do".

I'm so dumb when it comes to stuff like this. Thank you for your patience!

Jints
02-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Personally I would do the first one. YO, K2 (slipping the marker between the K2) YO

Only one stitch between YO's gives a more open decrease line.
but try both styles on scrap yarn and see which you prefer the look of.
No you are Not Dumb. The more of this you do the easier it will be, like most things. It all adds to your knowledge and experience of knitting. :thumbsup:

vcSmall
02-02-2008, 11:49 AM
That's what I thought - only one K between the YO would look too loose.

Thanks for all your help. Wish me luck! :pray: I may be in touch again as I proceed.