PDA

View Full Version : New Flu Strain Making The Rounds

Knitting_Guy
02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Just a heads up folks. There is a new flu strain going around. Even if you've had a flu shot you won't be protected from this one and it's especially nasty. I know because I have it right now and feel like I'm gonna die.

There have been wide-spread outbreaks in 11 states so far and its spreading. Just wanted everyone to be aware of it so you can take reasonable precautions.

dustinac
02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Mason, I hope you feel better soon :hug: ...

thanks for letting us know :hug:

msoebel
02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Darn it. Although we're not even protected from the regular flu right now because we just realized that we FORGOT to get the shot this year...we ALWAYS get it in September and somehow, we missed it.

People are looking at me like I'm the crazy one when I pull out the giant bottle of anti-bacterial stuff and wipe down the shopping cart...but I REFUSE to get it this year.

I am so sorry that you are sick Mason. I know the last time I had the flu, I begged dh to shoot me. I was more than half serious, it hurt so much.;)

Get well soon.

stacyk9
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
I hear you, Mason. I have not had this strain of flu this year (knock on wood), but many of my co-workers and students have and it is a kicker!!! I've already heard of two people having been admitted to the hospital because it's just so horrible! I hope you're feeling better soon!!!

Knitting_Guy
02-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I hear you, Mason. I have not had this strain of flu this year (knock on wood), but many of my co-workers and students have and it is a kicker!!! I've already heard of two people having been admitted to the hospital because it's just so horrible! I hope you're feeling better soon!!!

To be honest I seriously considered the hospital last night. I was up coughing every hour on the hour all night long. But really, what can they do about it? It just has to run it's course.

I just trudged through this snowstorm we're having up here in WI so I could pick up several bottles of Gatorade, some Nyquil, and some orange juice. I'll just have to ride it out. It's snowing like mad, a cold wind is blowing, and yet I was drenched in sweat by the time I made it back to my hotel room. Unreal.

I'm not whining, just trying to communicate just how nasty this little bug really is. You really don't want to catch this thing.

NC Girl
02-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Ugggh, I hope you feel better real soon! That sounds like a nasty bug.

I'm sitting here battling a toothache and trying to work, which isn't fun at all.

Take care of yourself.

CBH

stitchwitch
02-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Egads!! Now I feel like wrapping myself in Saran Wrap everytime I go out.
Hope you feel better soon, sorry you have to go through this. :hug:

Knitting_Guy
02-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Ugggh, I hope you feel better real soon! That sounds like a nasty bug.

I'm sitting here battling a toothache and trying to work, which isn't fun at all.

Take care of yourself.

CBH

Ugh, I hate a toothache. I'd rather be shot. Hope it feels better soon.

KnittingNat
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Mason, get well soon :hug: !
Hugs from Jerusalem :grphug:

DQ
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
You poor thing Mason! I hope you get over it soon :hug:

HamaLee
02-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Man that must be what I've had since Thursday, it SUCKS! I'm finally back at work but only for sessions...I'm still coughing up vital organs. :ick:

gingerbread
02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Spikey
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Hi Mason,
Sorry to hear that you are feeling so crappy! I hope you get over it soon. :hug:

One thing that my doctor recommended for me that REALLY helped is to use a combination of Mucinex (the 12hour one, not the mucinex-d) and Sudafed (the real sudafed behind the counter, not the PE junk). This combo can help dry up any post nasal drip, which is the thing that makes you cough when you lay down.

Also extra-strength Tylenol every 6 hours for pain/fever, whether you feel like you need it or not. It works much better when there is a stable amount in your system than trying to "chase" symptoms.

There are prescription antiviral meds that can be really effective, so if you get worse you should think about seeing someone. HTH.

Sharly
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Ugh! I knew the flu was going around, but I didn't know the flu shot wasn't helping!

Mason, feel better soon, and be sure to stay hydrated!

ritaw
02-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi Mason.
Wrap up warm and take it easy . Lots of sleep and rest . I hope you ger better soon :)

The.Knitter
02-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I hope you feel better really soon Mason. Take care!

scout52
02-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm so sorry Mason I really hope you feel better soon!!

My co-worker here got hit with it. She was out for a week and a half. and she had a the flu shot. My work provides the flu shot for everyone because we work long hours which can lower your immune system. Poor thing looked terrible by the time she came back.

saracidaltendencies
02-06-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm so sorry to hear! :hug: Hope you get to feeling better soon!

cindycactus
02-06-2008, 02:31 PM
And dh and I were just congratulating ourselves because we got our flu shot and we have not even had a cold this season. I hope we don't run into this new strain. Mason, hope you get well real soon. Take care of yourself.

Jan in CA
02-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I've been sick for the last 10 days with some sort of crud. I figured it was the flu since it's lasted so long, but I also figured it was viral and didn't go to a doctor. I am STILL coughing and so is DH. We tried Mucinex and it does seem to help loosen the crud in your chest so you can cough it up. Ick.

I am feeling better though and hope you do soon, Mason! :hug:

sue in canada
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Feel better soon Mason and everyone else. I heard about the bad flu outbreaks in USA on my local radio station the other day. I will be visiting WA next month, so I hope it is all clear by then.

Knitting_Guy
02-06-2008, 03:31 PM
I've been sick for the last 10 days with some sort of crud. I figured it was the flu since it's lasted so long, but I also figured it was viral and didn't go to a doctor. I am STILL coughing and so is DH. We tried Mucinex and it does seem to help loosen the crud in your chest so you can cough it up. Ick.

I am feeling better though and hope you do soon, Mason! :hug:

Bummer. Hope it clears up for you soon.

Mulderknitter
02-06-2008, 03:35 PM
:pout: Ugh. I just started the coughing up crud yesterday. I feel like i'm going to gag all day with the stuff in my throat. I hope it doesn't last that long!

iza
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Oy! I hate the flu. It can make you feel so miserable!

I hope everybody will feel better soon! :hug:

Ronda
02-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Sorry to hear you're down with the flu. I hope it runs its course and you're feeling well soon. Being sick is the PITS.

ladyjessica
02-06-2008, 04:53 PM
:hug: I hope you're feeling better soon. I've been sick since Thanksgiving and it's only now starting to subside a little, but since I work at a school I'm sure I'll have the flu before too long. Yay. hehe. Anyway, stay hydrated and out of the snow. :thumbsup:

gatorjade
02-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I hope you feel better soon! I got hit with the flu about two weeks ago and couldn't even move for three days. My coughing spells kept me up all night, too. When you feel better, you'll have a renewed sense of the beauty of homeostasis!

lelvsdgs
02-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh man, so sorry to hear you are so sick, especially so far from home! I skipped the flu shot (inadvertently) this year and have been sweating it since I work surrounded by the public, many of them homeless and unable to take care of themselves. We have been wiping down keyboards and equipment with Clorox wipes but that stuff is still in the air.
I hope you feel better soon and if not, do consider going to see someone. These things can flip to Pneumonia in a heartbeat...
:muah:

evona
02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear your so sick Mason. I hope you feel better!! :hug:

I've been guzzling EmergenC hoping and praying it'll help me not get sick. Everyone around my office and my kids' school has gotten this flu or been sick one way or another. I've had my kids drinking EmergenC as well - especially since my son was lead in a school play the last few weeks and it would have really sucked if he got sick right before - it sucks any time but it really sucks when you have obligations. So far my kids and I have been sickness free, but my BF got really sick and his cousin was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia.

Mulderknitter
02-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Another thing I always watch for is if the cold is in my head that it doesn't turn into a sinus infection. Wait it out for about a week, then see someone if it still is there.
Unfortunately I can't stay home from work, really bad time for it. So I make sure to not touch other people's stuff, and I bought cookies instead of making them with my germy hands for the potluck. I always beleive in staying home when you are sick so you don't pass germs, and hate when people come in with their sickies, but if you have to come in to work, be considerate and wash hands often and don't touch other people's stuff. I also tell people I'm sick so they know to stay away!:pout:

Dangles
02-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Aww, Mason :( I'm sorry you hear you have the flu. Sending you some healing thoughts :hug:

fibrenut
02-07-2008, 02:50 AM
Dude,
My daughter just got over that junk. She missed two days of school and for her that's a big deal (long story).
I started to feel it comin on so I started the ol' echinacae regimen.
2 a day for 3 days and then one a day for the next week. It helps your body defend itself by helping it to manufacture more t-cells.
And then you have to lay off of the echinacae for two weeks. Room temp coca-cola with the bubbles stirred out helps with the nausea. Has to be coke not another brand or 7-up. There's something in the coke syrup itself that helps to calm the tummy (they sell the syrup straight at the pharmacy for just this purpose). It's cheaper and more enjoyable to just use coca-cola.

Hope ya'll get over this junk soon. It's just downright nasty the way it knocks even the teenagers off their feet.

dmknits
02-07-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry you're sick. :sad: Hope you'll be feeling better soon!

sinistral_needler
02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Feel better soon, Mason! But only so you can get the heck out of Wisconsin so you can take the snow with you!! :) We are up to our eyeballs.

Shandeh
02-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Get better, Mason! :heart:

Mulderknitter
02-08-2008, 09:50 AM
This "thing" is seriously kicking my butt. :verysad: I am getting worse every day. I may actually leave work early today. My coworker just quit, which is why I am here at all. I cant breathe or concentrate or .... anything. I hate this. I think I am going to stop on the way home and get 500 movies, some comfort food, and go sit on the couch for the rest of the weekend.:pout:

knittingymnast
02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Thank you for letting us know!!! I hope you feel better soon! I'm sorry you have to go through this! :pout:

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2008, 10:14 AM
This "thing" is seriously kicking my butt. :verysad: I am getting worse every day. I may actually leave work early today. My coworker just quit, which is why I am here at all. I cant breathe or concentrate or .... anything. I hate this. I think I am going to stop on the way home and get 500 movies, some comfort food, and go sit on the couch for the rest of the weekend.:pout:

Sorry you've caught it too. I'm still down with it. Been trying to just sleep as much as possible hoping it'll pass soon.

Wish I had some nice chicken soup.

NC Girl
02-08-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry you're still sick! I snagged the following link off another board I visit. Evidently everybody is getting sick.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

CBH

knittingymnast
02-08-2008, 12:17 PM
omg nc girl! thanks!

ecb
02-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Hope you are better now, sorry it took so long to get to your post

I'm still down with it. Been trying to just sleep as much as possible hoping it'll pass soon.
Wish I had some nice chicken soup.
Now Mason, you know if you were socked in up here in Maine (something close to local) I would make some Soup in a crockpot and deliver it to your motel. I have a few neighbors I call when they are sick, they have a family member get them ingredients, and I come over to make them soup, real old fashioned soup.

anyone who wants to know my tricks, I use a whole large sweet onion, with the beard and skin on, a whole carrot, and 2 stalks of cellery, and a half dozen whole, or once cracked peppercorns. Cooked overnight with whatever chicken you have on hand (Backs are cheep but hard to find, Thighs are easier to find, and still cheep) cook all day, then with it still covered, not opened at all, turn off overnight. In the morning clean out the bones and old veggies, and save the broth and meat in a new pot. Put the old glop in the crock pot and add more water (all the glop, Skin, bones, bone ends, veggies, skin, etc.) This stuff still has a TON of vitamins and nutrients to be cooked out of it.
now I like to add zucchini, carrots, a bit of potato, and some more onion, Just before your gonna start getting ready for dinner, you can add Mungbean noodles, and some Bok Choy, sliced about 1 inch.
Not sure why, but it tastes different depending on who cooks it, mine is always sweet, not sugary, but still sweet.

ecb

Knit4Fun
02-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Mason,

Hope you feel better soon. You too Mulderknitter.

I've had the cough from it for over three weeks now and no end in sight...ugh. Now I'm also a Starbucks addict because it's only the warm soothing Chai Latte's that make the cough temporarily go away. Could be my imagination too... :aww:

ladyjessica
02-13-2008, 09:43 PM
As predicted, I now have the flu. hehe. I went to the dr yesterday for another issue and I was fine, and then last night all of a sudden I was sick. Vomiting, general queasiness, headache, etc. My question, though, is this. A little while ago I noticed that I have a rash around my eyes and a little bit on my cheek and chin. My eyes are also really red - not my actual eyeball but the inner part under my eye. I just wondered if anybody else has noticed something like this w/ the flu or if I should worry about it?

Thanks. I hope everybody feels better. :hug:

Shandeh
02-14-2008, 03:41 PM
......last night all of a sudden I was sick. Vomiting, general queasiness, headache, etc. My question, though, is this. A little while ago I noticed that I have a rash around my eyes and a little bit on my cheek and chin. My eyes are also really red - not my actual eyeball but the inner part under my eye. I just wondered if anybody else has noticed something like this w/ the flu or if I should worry about it?
Golly! I've never seen anything like that. I'd call the doctor's office if I were you. Let us know what happens!

Jan in CA
02-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Sometimes it seems the virus can act a bit different for different people, but do call just to make sure. Hope you feel better soon!

VictoiseC
02-15-2008, 06:26 PM
:waving:Hi Mason. What a D R A G. Esp that you had to go out yourself to get the medicine/stuff. My DH just went through 2 agonizing days of being sick but we don't know if it was a flu. No coughing but other nasty stuff... he thought he was going to die too. I've been waiting to see if it'll get me... nothing yet.
fingers crossed

HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER REAL SOON!

Knitting_Guy
02-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Just an update. Am home in FL now. Am over the worst of it but still have a nasty cough that doesn't seem to want to go away. Damn nasty flu.

ladyjessica
02-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Sometimes it seems the virus can act a bit different for different people, but do call just to make sure. Hope you feel better soon!

I did call yesterday and the nurse told me my doctor was out until Monday, but she's never seen anything like that, either, and it could possibly be broken capillaries from throwing up. Uhuh. She said to keep an eye on it until Monday (um, hello, they're my EYES!) and to call Monday if it doesn't go away. I have a follow-up w/ my doctor on Monday anyway, but the way she blew me off kind of bugged me. It looks like it's faded a little bit, but it's still there. I also had the worst aches in my neck, shoulders, and arms yesterday that I've ever had in my entire life, and my left thumb kept twitching, but today it's gone. It's very strange. It just worries me a little because the last time I had random spots that popped up out of nowhere I had a full-body strep infection. I'm feeling a LOT better, though, but I'm still keeping an eye on things, and I guess if it gets any worse I'll have to go to the ER. :cry: Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Too expensive. hehe. :teehee:

Shandeh
02-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Mason, I hope your cough goes away soon. Have you been to the doctor? It could possibly be bronchitis.

ladyjessica, I wonder if it's a random infection that found a home with your former strep trouble? :think:

ArtLady1981
02-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Be careful not to touch you eyes or nose with your own hands when out of the house and not having access to a sink and soap and hot water.

Viruses enter through those two portals very quickly and easily.

Mulderknitter
02-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Ugh.. finally feeling better today after 2 whole weeks of the thing. That last cough just didn't want to give it up! :muah: To all of the wellwishers and all of you that have it now!

Shandeh
02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Glad you're better, Mulderknitter! :hug:

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Glad you're feeling better Mulder. I'm still trying to shake the cough, it just doesn't want to give it up. I've strained my throat so much from coughing I can't speak, I just kinda croak. Of course that's perfect for swearing while frogging. :rofl:

Shandeh
02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
:teehee:
Have you been to the doctor yet, Mason? :pout:

lelvsdgs
02-18-2008, 11:26 PM
:teehee:
Have you been to the doctor yet, Mason? :pout:

You know we're all gonna bug you until you go to the doctor don't you...:nails: