PDA

View Full Version : Setting your yarn.

katiebug081504
02-09-2008, 03:45 PM
I read that you put your spun yarn in hot water for a few minutes then hang it to dry. I did this (it's drying right now), but the yarn still is curling in on itself. Is this normal?

mullerslanefarm
02-11-2008, 10:27 AM
It is normal if the yarn is over twisted.

Is it plyed? To remove some of the extra twist, you can ply it (spinning in the other direction). Try plying it with itself (make a center pull ball) or use the navaho ply or try some thread to ply it with!

fibrenut
07-09-2008, 01:05 AM
HIya guys,
Just thought I'd jump in here n stuff beings my question is on the same premise as the OP's
I too, have the same problem with my spun yarn being all curly, I've steamed it n hung it up to dry (too thick to ply) I've also weighted it and it's still all curly.
So, my question is.... how, exactly, do you tell that you've gotten enough twist in the single (you know that wonderful thing they call "balance")

mullerslanefarm
07-10-2008, 02:09 PM
A lot of it is experience.

Different fibers and/or different yarns need a different amount of WPI (twist per inch) depending on things such as final weight (spider web to super bulky) of yarn, the crimps per inch of the fiber you are spinning, the lock length, things like that.

A fiber with a long lock length that you are spinning bulky would need less TPI than a cob-web yarn using a short stapled fiber.

Slow down your treadling (if on wheel) or park and spin (if on spindle). Every so often stop and let the yarn try to twist back on itself. If it does (and your spinning for a plyed yarn), keep spinning the way you are. If you're spinning for a single and it twists on itself, you need to treadle slower OR adjust the take up on the bobbin faster so you don't get as much twist in the yarn.

As an aside ...ABATE of CO, eh? Very cool. "Back in the day" (early to mid 80's) I helped set up two chapters of ABATE in eastern IA. At the state level, I was one of the folks that helped set up the petition for a house & senate bill to charge $1 for a motorcycle learner's permit and that money go to fund Motorcycle Safety Courses in the state. (And was the first woman safety course instructor)
Over 20 years later, my oldest son (20) bought his first bike ('05 Super Glide) and went through the MC Safety Course.

fibrenut
07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
o hun way awesome kewl!!!

we are gonna be celebrating our 25th year in CO here in a couple weeks with a huge bike rally. Called "Rally on the Plains" It's gonna be fun.
Me n hubby just joined but we are part of District 1. The first one in CO. It's great.
SO back to the subject at hand. When I am spinning my singles I'm gonna check the "balance" by holding out a length to see if it rolls back on itself and if it does it's too tight? Or should it have a little bit of roll.

mullerslanefarm
07-11-2008, 08:14 AM
SO back to the subject at hand. When I am spinning my singles I'm gonna check the "balance" by holding out a length to see if it rolls back on itself and if it does it's too tight? Or should it have a little bit of roll.

Ideally, it shouldn't twist back on itself if it is truly balanced, BUT don't drive yourself nuts trying to do this because some of the twist can be redistributed.

when I set the twist, I soak in soapy water, then rinse in cool water (with a bit of hair conditioner in it). Wring it out, then holding one end, I'll spin it around in the air. Grab another end and spin it around again. That will help redistribute the twist.

I hang to dry (without weights)

Since each fiber you spin will be different, you can really drive yourself to the edge trying to learn the sweet spot of the balanced single.

fibrenut
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Thank you Cyndi,
That little trick with the spinning in the air thing, that was the ticket, my fat singles don't look so snaky now. More like actual yarn that one could actually knit with :woot:

fibrenut
07-14-2008, 12:27 PM
WOOHOOOOO!!!!!:woot: :happydance: Cyndi,
I finally got a skinny single (bout sport weight size) and my consistency is getting much much better!!!!!:clink:

mullerslanefarm
07-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Congrats!!!

Give it 6 months and you'll be wishing you could spin the fatter yarns again as easily as you can spin the thinner ones!

fibrenut
07-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks Cyndi,
What I did different was that on the thick one I was doing just a strict predraft (thought that was the way to go was extreme predrafting, you know sorta like Xtreme sports kinda thing) thought that the thinner I could predraft the better it would be, NOT!!! Now it's "whip it, whip it good!!" to fluff up my split roving (I divided it into quarters ) and then just take up the fluff in the twist n not the whole xtreme predrafted roving.
I do need to go n get a lighter spindle though because I'll get so much on the one I have ( 1.8 oz cd spindle) which after about 3 oz. of yarn has been spun it gets next to impossible to keep it from breaking on me (arrrrgggghhhh!!)

jberry16
07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
how much (weight wise) can you have of spun fibers on a spindle before it makes it not spin right? Or is it designed not to be a big deal?