PDA

View Full Version : Another little thing & too soon old, too late smart

Little Audrey
02-15-2008, 02:31 PM
See my wrister below. I have arthritis complicated by another weird, unidentified condition in my right arm. Thought a wrister would help & found a pattern in Creative Knitting for wristers in three yarn weights. Figured bulky would work fast, & -FOUND BULKY TAPESTRY YARN in my needlepoint stash (mind you, DMC spun in France bulky wool, at 79cents ea), :cool: & knitted a wrister. & FOUND that my gramma was right. :noway: One should not "knit with the fingers" but with the needles (meaning: do not push, pull or otherwise "finger" the yarn; USE THE NEEDLES). She kept telling me I was forming the stitch properly & did not need to push-pull the yarn, but I guess I did not have faith.... But now, being unable to extend my index finger, I found myself purling (continental style) without finger movements! Now my husband's sweater is getting finished a lot faster!

Little Audrey
02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
A comment on myself - why am I able to remember everything my grandmother told me about knitting when I was 8 & 9 yrs old, but cannot remember where I put my glasses half an hour ago?!?

NegativeClock
02-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Well technically it's because your Grandmother's sayings are in your long term memory, and the position of your glasses is haphazardly stored in your short term memory. :cool:

I'm sorry to hear of your arthritis, but I'm glad you're still casting on and working through it. :D That's a nice wrister as well, brava.

Knit only with the needles? I can't even begin to understand. :(

Jan in CA
02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
A comment on myself - why am I able to remember everything my grandmother told me about knitting when I was 8 & 9 yrs old, but cannot remember where I put my glasses half an hour ago?!?

:teehee: Good question!

Looks nice!

dustinac
02-16-2008, 11:40 AM
:teehee:

It looks great!! :thumbsup:

ah
02-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Wrist warmer looks great! I have yet to find a way to purl continental without moving my left fingers.

Debkcs
02-17-2008, 04:24 AM
I like your wrister! Hope to have a pair of them in Mmmmmabrigo for next fall/winter.

If you hold the yarn correctly, you don't have to move your left index finger. I've taught a few people to knit using the Continental style, but can only show them, not explain it. I too have arthritis, actually on disability because of it, and if my index finger had to move, knitting would be out.

ArtLady1981
02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the info! Tee Hee! Not about that you hurt your finger...but you write with a good sense of humor! The wrister looks fabulous, BTW! :thumbsup: