PDA

View Full Version : WooHoo! Finally got the hang of Continental Knitting!

IBAmyB
02-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I know I haven't been here in a couple of months.... been really busy with the Holidays and then getting ready for the move to Australia. (DH is on his way "as I type" and I will leave in 3 weeks.)

Anyway, MIL is staying with me for a couple of weeks, helping me get the final things for the move settled and she had tried to teach me to crochet before, but it never clicked. Well, she tried again and it worked.

So, I thought, since I am now holding my yarn in my left hand to crochet, why not try Continental knitting again.... and voila! :woot: It worked!

I am practicing on a piece that will then be felted into a coaster (first time for felting too), so my mistakes will be less noticable!

CognizantAmiga
02-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Congratulations!! What a great feeling to get something to work that you have had trouble with before!:woot:

DorothyDot
02-17-2008, 07:15 PM
That's why, as a child, i learned to knit Continental from the git-go. I was learning crochet at the same time. Similar movements when holding the yarn in the left hand. Easy to get'em together and work both the same.

Good for you!

My last knitting group lesson, I was teaching purling... and watching others as they purled. One lady suddenly pointed to my purling hands and shrieked, "She's not even LOOKING at her purling!"

Ah, the benefits of continental.

boo1
02-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I'd like to get the hang of it one of these days. Good for you! :cheering:

idahoknitter
02-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Congratulations on learning continental knitting! A knitting instructor told us that continental knitting was fast so I taught myself how to do it from the video here and haven't gone back since. Not only is it faster, but you'll find that other knitters will want to talk about your style so it is a great way to meet other people.

DorothyDot, if there is a trick to purling without looking, I'd love to learn it! Purling isn't as smooth for me as I'd like it to be.

Melita
02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
This is great to hear that other's are giving this a try and it's working for them. I've been knitting for 20 years, in the "english" way, and just last week have started trying the "continental" way! It's making me feel like I'm about 10 again, but I'm going to persevere and make it work for me. I've started a Shrug for my 3yr old, and I'm determined to do the whole thing "continental" so that I force myself to learn.

auburnchick
02-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Congratulations! I switched last summer, and I'm happy that I can knit both ways. Way to stick with it!

Coolazity1
02-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Wow, I've been crocheting for 10 years, but I still can't get the hang of continental knitting. But when knitting English I can sometimes work and not even have to look at what I'm doing. Oh well.

knittingymnast
02-18-2008, 11:46 AM
congrats! :balloons::present: :balloons: :present: :balloons: :present: :balloons: :present: :balloons: :present: :balloons: :present:

i could never get the hang of it.... :thud:

veekcee
02-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Congratulations Amy! It is a good feeling to conquer!

I finally learned continental from a video on youtube; her style really clicked with me.

Wow, big move to Australia! Very exciting!

Lisa1216
02-18-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm taking a class now to learn continental and fair isle. The biggest problem I'm having is keeping the tension even. I guess it will all come with practice. Good idea though about doing a felting project first.:thumbsup:

Good luck on your move to Australia!

MerigoldinWA
02-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Great!! I love Continental, but it doesn't seem to be for everyone. When I teach people to knit I'm never sure if I should start right in with Continental or what. It works with some people very well, but not everyone. It's good to know both methods.