PDA

View Full Version : Any Orchid Growers?

jdee
02-17-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm just curious, I guess. I have several house plants, but they're mostly ivies, spiders, and philodendrons. You know, plants that practically grow themselves. lol Anyway, I saw some orchids in Home Depot today, and according to the tag, they're supposed to be easy to grow. I always heard that no orchid is easy to grow. Has anyone seen these easy-growing orchids? What do you think?

KnitClickChick
02-18-2008, 08:07 AM
I bought an orchid years ago when it was in bloom. It has been about 8 years I guess, and while it is still alive it has never bloomed again. I haven't really "tried" to make it bloom, it just sits on the window sill in my kitchen. It is a miracle the poor thing is still alive, since it only gets watered when I remember. I'm not good with plants, and have killed even the most hardy types. ;) Anyhow, here is a link that has some pretty good info. http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orchids/orchid_care_tips/faq/frequently_asked_questions.html

stitchwitch
02-18-2008, 10:08 AM
I have several Phaelonopsis and one spider orchid. I do nothing to them and I mean nothing. They are outside though in complete shade and get alot of moisture from our humidity. Two are flowering now and the spider orchid just finished it's cycle. They are super easy to take care of but they don't make good house plants or good plants where it is cold or dry. Think jungle/rain forest if you're wondering where to put one.

jdee
02-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Just one more quick question. I'm sure the humidity level here wouldn't be an issue, but during the winter months, I'd have to bring them inside, where they would probably get too dry. If this occurs, will they perk back up the next spring, when I put them back outside?

boyforpele13
02-19-2008, 01:32 AM
hi there!

i only have one orchid so far, but it's doing well in that it's alive. ;-) i am not the green thumb sort, so i might be misinterpreting your use of the word 'dry' but wanted to point out that orchids actually don't do well when they are TOO moist and there are special pots for orchids that allow extra drainage so that there is never excess water. i've kept mine inside since the cold snap and it's doing just fine on a windowsill, watering once a week or so or when i remember. i know lots of folks that keep them inside no problem, just a windowsill with a bit of indirect sunlight would be best.

hope this helps!

p.s. orchids need their leaves watered too, in case that wasn't mentioned somewhere already.

eta: Knitclick, i was told by the lady at home depot that to ensure blooming, about once or month or so, when you water them, make a mixture in a spray bottle with liquid orchid food (about $5) and spray them with that, the leaves and the potting medium. she said hers bloom multiple times a year, and just to ensure you don't spray the flowers, if any.

jdee
02-19-2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks for your response. By 'dry' I was refering to the lack of humidity in my house, due to the central heating. During the spring and summer, humidity isn't a problem, because the plants would be outside.
I was really just curious to know if orchids are as hard to grow as I've always thought. I've been told I have a green thumb, but I don't really, because only the most hardy, drought tollerant plants seem to thrive here.:aww: The other's start looking so pitiful by the time the cold months are over, but when spring arrives, and I put them outside, they usually perk up, and start growing thier leaves back out.

stitchwitch
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
A mister is an orchid's best friend during low humidity. It doesn't have to be fancy, any clean pump mister will do, you can pick them up for about a buck. Just give them a spritz once every few days all over and place them in filtered light and they'll do ok.
I'm bad about fertilizing mine, I really need to, they will bloom without it but they do alot better when fertilized. The only thing orchids hate is alot of sun, they'll get sunburned and alot of water around their roots.
One thing I've found is that the growing medium that they put them in to sell them makes it real easy for the novice to overwater them. That sphagnum moss can stay wet deep down and rot the roots. You think they've dried out and keep watering, meanwhile the inside is soggy. I always repot mine with orchid mix. It's a mix of bark chips, charcoal and styrofoam and keeps them from getting soggy and ultimately dying of root rot.

mwhite
02-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I have a "Phal" that Mother gave me a couple of years ago, it has the most beautiful blooms when in season and I repotted it with the bark mix last year. It hasn't rebloomed yet but I'm sure it will. Patience is a main ingredient for gardening success. I mist it daily and they tell me it helps it to bloom if you place it in lower temps at night. I keep it in the kitchen windowsill, water it about once a week. Once the outdoor temps get higher and stay above about 60 degrees, it'll go out on the porch where it will get late, filtered afternoon sun. Thanks for the tips! Mary

stitchwitch
02-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Don't get too worried about the lack of blooming right away. Alot of these guys just bloom once a year, in fact all of mine do. I have the spider orchid who blooms in October and the Phals who bloom now. Chances are when you got them they had an abundance of blooms because it was their time of the season. I get excited when I see the tell tale sign of a little green stalk beginning to shoot out around the end of summer here. I know that in a few months I'll have bloomies! Also, they like "friends" so if the pot is crowded they are happy. If you repot in a larger pot they may go a year or so without blooming as retaliation. :teehee:

Doodknitwit
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
:waving: I'm just curious, I guess. I have several house plants, but they're mostly ivies, spiders, and philodendrons. You know, plants that practically grow themselves. lol Anyway, I saw some orchids in Home Depot today, and according to the tag, they're supposed to be easy to grow. I always heard that no orchid is easy to grow. Has anyone seen these easy-growing orchids? What do you think?

very easy..soak clay pot in water every couple weeks...they love to be root bound!!
:blooby: