PDA

View Full Version : Sweater Chicken

gingergal4l8r
02-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Am I the only one who is a SWEATER CHICKEN???

My first project of making a sweater was a UGH! It was so Ugly that I can not even take a picture of it, afraid the camera might bust.

I made the BIG SACK SWEATER from Stitch and Bitch Knitter's hand book.

The back was about and inch shorter than the front with a bit of extra long sleeves to drag on the ground. Plus whoever dare to put this sweater on for kicks and giggles would feel like they just got the worst chemical peel on their face from the neckline being way to small for any normal head.

Second project was a child's sweater, everything was great(or so I thought) the chemical peel was eliminated but we added the skill of not having the sweater fit any part of the head. Just able to crown and we can call that sweater done. :rofl:

My poor nephew was just screaming as his mother was trying to get it on his head. After awhile we were on the floor laughing so hard as I am ONE OF THOSE AUNTS WHO KNIT!!! :roflhard:

I so want to try again, but I am so chicken as I have wasted 2 projects and I would like to get serious and feel like I am going to start wasting money on yarn.

If you have any suggestions please help me.... or at least my nephew.

bethany
02-18-2008, 09:13 AM
:teehee: Kinda funny stories...Sorry they've not turned out like you imagined. I did a sweater with a hood for my first. I used size 35 needles and triple stranded Lion's Brand Thick and Quick. So I was able to learn techniques, see fast results--that sort of thing. It was in the Knit.1 Fall 2007 magazine.

What about something like the Surprise Baby Jacket (Zimmerman)? Won't have to worry about the sweater giving baby birth (crowning! LOL!) and it's pretty straight forward....

HTH

knittingymnast
02-18-2008, 09:23 AM
i am a sweater chicken, but i have casted on one......ahhhh! im scared that im going to mess up really bad and i will end up frogging the whole thing. that would not be good. plus, i am using Plymouth Encore Colorspun in colorway 029, Baby Pink. where can i get some of it? i am 150 yards short! AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

msoebel
02-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Make a cardigan! No problem getting stuck on head!

There are lots of EASY sweaters to make. Try one of those.

It sounds like there may be an issue with gauge...do you do a swatch first? Do you check your gauge throughout?

Koehnae
02-18-2008, 10:07 AM
:grphug: I'm not alone! I've been knitting for several years now and until I started the hooded baby cardigan I'm working on now, I hadn't touched a sweater pattern since my very first project. It was hideous!

My first project was a sweater for myself. I was all excited to be knitting and the pattern seemed easy enough. It turned out similar to yours. The proportions were all off and I was somewhere between laughing and crying every time I looked at it.

The hooded cardigan sweater was in the latest issue of Creative Knitting. It kind of built up my confidence again... so much so that I purchased a basic V-neck sweater pattern from KnitPicks and I'm giving it another go. I guess we have to just keep plugging along and hope we can learn from (and laugh at) our mistakes.

rosefields
02-18-2008, 10:56 AM
When I first read the title of this thread...I thought it was about making a sweater for a chicken!!:rofl: :rofl:

Lisa R.
02-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I was expecting to find a post about some sort of knitted chicken!!!:rofl:

However, yes, I'm right there with ya! I am growing a great desire to knit a sweater, but the cost is killing me (I regularly shop for clothes at Wal-Mart and even knowing it will be a cool project to knit and give me hours of hobby time, I'm just not sure I want to pay for that much yarn for one thing--maybe a kid sweater first).

And then I'm just scared of it being too complex or not getting measurements right, etc.

But still...I'm thinking maybe before the year is out I might tackle one and see how it does! Maybe...

suzeeq
02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
No need to feel the efforts were a waste of the yarn and money. If you like the yarn, unravel it and try the sweater again, this time checking to make sure you have gauge. Many times the probelems with tight neck openings is binding off too tightly; use a needle 2 sizes bigger and that generally helps you get it over the head.

ArtLady1981
02-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Here is my recommendation for a FIRST SWEATER:
1) a pullover
2) drop shoulders
3) solid color, no intarsia work, unless you are already an expert
4) no cabling, unless you are already a cable expert

No tweaking the pattern. If it asks for the sweater to be knit in 4 pieces (BACK, FRONT, & TWO SLEEVES)...do it. No knitting of the back and front "in the round". No knitting the sleeves "in the round". Follow directions to the T. Learn how to mattress seam.

Suzeeq was right about casting off the neck with larger needles! I second her on that one! If you are using OPTIONS, all you have to do is unscrew the smaller right hand needle, and screw on one right hand tip that is two sizes larger. You can leave the knitting left hand needle on the original needle.

I make notes down to this day.
For example...when the directions for the front say: continue until the pieces is 17" from the cast on, and then begin the armhole shaping..." I write down how many exact rows that 17" occurs on!
Then, when I go to knit the Back...I knit the same number of rows before starting the armhole shaping.

To prevent having to count endless rows over and over...I thread a little piece of red thread at the top of every 10th row...the red thread just spans about 5 stitches. This acts as a row marker for me.

I leave those little red threads in place on all pieces until just before blocking.

I also make notes in a notebook for EVERY PATTERN til this day.
I write out the directions in My Knitting Language. I make sure that I understand what every step is asking me to do before ever casting on for the first piece.

Here is an example of one of my pages! I think it was for the Central Park Hoodie, a fairly easy pattern but as I said, I always make a notebook to be sure I have things straight in my head!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3674-1.jpg

gingergal4l8r
02-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Thank you to all who have commented and shared their stories. For me, being a knitter of only a year and a bit, these stories encourage and help me will all that I want to accomplish.

I feel we need to share failures to help with the successes we are so close to complete.

:muah::muah::muah::muah:Keep sharing your scary stories for the experienced knitters to share their successes and how they got there!!!!

marlajap
02-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Ginger - I am a newer knitter, but experienced with crochet and very adventurous in my crafting - I like a challenge. Sadly, I am, to date, a miserable failure at ladies sweaters. I've frogged one and given the yarn away, the unfinished back of another is being used as a ferret blanket (!), and I'm trying to get going on a sleeveless top for myself, but have frogged and started over at least 3 times now. I'm going to wind up having to buy an extra hank of that yarn, because the the first 20+ yards or so are getting all fuzzy and un-wound. I was trying to do a broken rib, and I just keep getting off rhythm and messing up the pattern stitch. Yeesh. I'm rather depressed about that, actually - I've knitted things for everyone around me, but nothing for myself...Sigh.
My first and only baby sweater, however, was an unqualified success. It came from the Bernat Naturals booklet, and is made from Bernat Soy. It's a sweet little pullover, pretty much all stockinette, raglan sleeves, very easy to do. It has an open neck, so no worries about it fitting over the head.

I wasn't smart enough to do the detailed notebook like Art Lady (wow - but I get interrupted so often when I'm knitting that I'd need a 2" 3-ring binder to get through the first knitted item!!), but I did measure everything meticulously, followed absolutely every instruction, and, after measuring, also matched up the front to the back before I started decreasing, to make sure I was in line. Same thing with the sleeves. It came out very well, if I do say so myself. I was so encouraged by it that I ventured back to attempting one for myself, which takes us right back to my miserable failure and requirement for another 20+ yard of yarn. In the long run, I think I will just keep looking for a pattern for DK-weight cotton in a stockinette stitch...if such an animal exists for a 46" bust!! :)

gingergal4l8r
02-19-2008, 06:40 PM
We can be sweater supporters, I need to make a sweater to get over my fears.... lol

Plantgoddess+
02-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Don't give up, try and think of these as learning experiences. I frogged 2 sweaters this winter that I had made in the past. They were wearable but didn't fit quite right. I now have that yarn to try again with all that I've learned since making them and I believe I will be much happier with the new ones I make.
I have a complaint with so many of the photos that show the finished sweater on a model. Not only am I not built like a model, a lot of times the photo does not show the sweater details and I end up unhappy with the shape of the sleeves (why show the model with the sleeves pushed up) or some other detail you can't see in the picture.
Best of luck on your next sweater.

gingergal4l8r
02-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I love that Central Park Hoodie, I think I would like to make that, have to get the pattern first.

There are so many to choose from..
But thanks for the encouraging words.

Abbily
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Kryssie, check out the 1st sweater KAL in the KAL forum! We're all working on our first, so you'll be in good company. :) I've been knitting just about a year, and I'm working on a cabled sweater... verrrrry slow going.... but it's coming along. Of course I haven't done any shaping yet at all! :) Aside from the cables, this seems to be a pretty easy 'first sweater' pattern because it's not fitted, so there's really almost no shaping at all.

Good luck, I know you can do it! :) Just be patient with yourself, and make sure you have another project OTN to switch to when you get frustrated. :)

PurlyGyrl
02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
You can do it! I first started with a baby sweater. Not as much yarn to work with and I was able to finish it quickly and since it was a baby sweater, much quicker to frog too!

gingergal4l8r
02-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I have made a baby sweater, my nephew is scared now of me if I show him something I have made..... hahhaaa

ddincolo
02-24-2008, 05:32 PM
forget the chicken..........go for the duck or puppy! give it a try again.......we all make that ugly sweater once in awhile. i always ask the kid (or mom) the colors they like, style and even if the kid (my grandson)is older to come with me to pick out the yarn....they then have a sense of 'interest' in the sweater.
babies are wonderful to knit for....sweaters are easy, colors are great.....every newborn likes a white, pink, blue or yellow sweater---just keep it simple and your sweaters will be loved!

happy sweatering!
diann